Advertisement
Please wait...

Yellow Rain Fever



Estimated reading time — 6 minutes

Dear Survivor-
If you’re reading this, I’m probably dead. It’s for the best.

You see, about four or five days ago, a storm rolled in. Now, this in and of itself isn’t anything strange. The clouds and the rain though, they had a yellow tint to them. It smelled weird and tasted funny too, none of us could really nail down what it tasted like, and all we knew is that it was some sort of chemical or other.

Now, the important thing to know is that we’re a small Hoosier farming community, maybe 1,500 or so people, so unless some radical has a grudge against corn and soybeans, I doubt it was a terrorist attack.

Anyway, a few hours after that weird rainstorm started, people started getting violently sick. The ones affected couldn’t stop throwing up, there were reports of extreme nausea and even an onset of what they thought was tuberculosis, because the ones diagnosed had a bloody and agonizing cough.

Authorities noticed a trend almost immediately after people started getting sick, in that it seemed only fairly weak people got ill. The sick, old, and young were the only ones who got sick with those violent symptoms. It retrospect though, they got the easy way out.

People that were diagnosed with the illness, dubbed the Yellow Rain Fever, died just hours after getting sick. Some of the victims’ immune systems who were already sick just couldn’t handle the increased fever and vomiting, some were simply too weak to handle much of a sickness in the first place, like the old and the very young, and some actually died of blood loss due to the consumption like cough. But they all died shortly after getting ill.

When people were nearing death, they started hallucinating, or what we thought were hallucinations at the time. They all saw these, dark, shadowy humanoid figures with glowing yellow eyes, lurking in dark corners or just inside unlit rooms.

There were only three or four accounts of these figures, due to the fact that almost no one could speak in their final moments of the sickness. It was enough though, people with the same disease sharing the same hallucinations, it made almost everyone extremely paranoid, as common or shared hallucinations, they reasoned, meant a type of drug or chemical.

After the reports came in of these shared hallucinations, the most paranoid of our population started barricading themselves in their homes. Said they were going to wait out the storm, literally and figuratively.

Advertisements

When most of the initial victims had passed, we started seeing fairly normal people getting extremely sick. Healthy, middle aged people getting the same symptoms, and worse, some of the victims actually faced necrosis before their deaths.  The second wave of people who were sick didn’t even make two hours. Same as before, there were several reports of people seeing those black, shadowy figures with the glowing yellow eyes, waiting in corners or dark rooms.

Our small town was devastated at this point; we had lost two or three hundred people by now. And I was absolutely stricken with grief when my dear wife Muriel, may God rest her soul, was diagnosed with the Fever.

By the time we had lost another 100 people, and the disease was announced to be contagious, we were quarantined by the CDC, and government agents were coming in to check out the town decked out in air-tight radiation suits, said they were trying to find the cause of the storm.

Not even an hour after the agents came in, they evacuated. The thing is though; there was no story about this on the news. I don’t know what those CDC guys did, but apparently no one was able to contact the media. There was a mention of a flu epidemic in our town, and that’s it.

My friend, Mark, came over to my house almost immediately after the report on the news aired.
“A flu epidemic?” He yelled, absolutely enraged. “We’ve lost almost five-hundred people to this bastardized mix of symptoms from tuberculosis and food poisoning, and they say it’s the damn flu?” I tried to get him to calm down, but he wouldn’t have it. He said he was going to go get out of town, to try and contact the news, something, anything but staying here waiting to die.
The thing is, I kind of agreed with him, I’d much rather go out fighting rather than sitting around and praying not to get this damned fever. There was something in my gut telling me it would be a bad idea to try and get out. I told Mark that I was going to stay here for the time being, he said fine, that if I wanted to die here as a passive waste, that was my decision.
So Mark left in his truck to try and escape the quarantine. It was the last time I saw him alive.

Things got progressively worse from there. First, the disease spread, there were reports of another five hundred people infected. Of course national news was worthless, but channel six, the local news, was running a Fever Watch. That’s how I got most of my information.
After the next wave of reported infections, symptoms got worse again. Pre-death necrosis was a symptom of almost everyone with the disease at that point, not just an unlucky few. Victims also getting extremely paranoid as their illnesses progressed. Almost all of them were scared of the same thing, of the dark, shadowy figures with yellow eyes creeping in dark areas.

Our whole town was in hysterics, people who had boarded up their homes early were envied. Looting and arson was widespread, our town was a chaotic symphony of anarchy.
As the disease spread, nearly seven hundred people had succumbed to the Fever. There were some really minor details that unnerved the living hell out of me, like how the infected started saying the figures were getting closer, not lurking in just pitch black areas anymore.
I was mortified when Muriel, who had only had a slightly wet cough and a light temperature up until that point, started screaming about dark figures lurking in the corners.

Advertisements

When the local news reported our population was nearing eight-hundred after only nine hours after the first yellowish storm cloud rolled in, I locked myself where I am now, in our cellar.

Muriel’s already gone, those damned shadow men got her, and they ripped her throat out. Those news stories were bullshit and I know it, it was these fucking creatures that lurk in the dark that killed everyone. I know, because I’ve seen what they can do firsthand. Muriel’s lying upstairs in a puddle of her own blood because of those figures.

They’re watching me now, with those hungry and greedy yellow eyes. They want me, I can see the dark desires, the urge to feed in their eyes when they stare at me. They’re sitting in the corners, where the light doesn’t reach, waiting for me to make one wrong move, to turn my back or fall asleep, well I’ll be damned if I get eaten by some God-forsaken monster.

They think they have me, I can hear them now, their joyous whispers; they’ve seen my bloody cough. The beasts’ whispers are deafening now, they know I’m growing weaker. What they don’t know however, is that I’ve taken a lesson from Mark. I still have the power of choice. Do I want to go out in defiance, or sitting, waiting for the inevitable? I have to remember to pray to my dad, thank him for leaving me his revolver.

They’re getting closer. I have a few minutes at most, they’re getting closer. At least I get to end this how I want it to end, not how they want it to.

Subject: FORWARD ALL; ADDENDUM, SITUATION REPORT 37-B
To: ALL
From: ADMINISTRATOR PAIGE

Message: Hello ladies and gentlemen, I’d first like to wish you all a Merry Christmas.

Advertisements

Now, as you can see from the attached document, Project Ion Rain was a massive success. Only ten hours after the weapon was activated, our city of choice was almost completely eradicated. With initial reports saying that 95% of the population died due to disease,4% are clinically insane, and 1% having committed suicide, as you can see from the document above.

Yes I know, there are ethical issues involved in this, why test Ion Rain on our own citizens? First off, the equipment involved to actually produce the deadly toxins from seemingly thin air are not carried around or smuggled easily. And it takes weeks of preparation; we simply don’t have the resources to smuggle this Project into an enemy country and keep the thing hidden.

And the way I figure the situation, and the President agrees with me on this one, is that if we can blame this incident on a terrorist attack, we’ll have the backing of the public to invade whoever we decide to blame.

Well, see you all on Monday, have a nice weekend.

Sincerely, Paul Paige, Administrator of the Central Intelligence Agency.

 

Credit To – Josh M.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

60 thoughts on “Yellow Rain Fever”

  1. This is my first review on Creepy Pasta. I really liked this story! It was well written and thought out. The email from the CIA at the end could have been a little more professional to be realistic. Otherwise GREAT story.

  2. FlowerOfDarkness

    Perfect. I’m not a fan of zombie-like stuff or gore, but this one is quite enjoyable and well written.

  3. An intriguing and original pasta. The writing style is very simple and fits this type of story. The ending had an interesting twist but overall was kinda lame. 7/10

  4. Nice one – so the black yellow-eyed shadow-guys are really just a hallucination? I think I would cut that part – it doesn’t add up. Evil CIA plan but also mangled corpse due to creepy things? Or was this also only imagination? Nah, either CIA or other entities – just my opinion, though.

  5. so no one else noticed when he said that one percent committed suicide? and there are about 1,500 people there right? so he cant be one percent of that lot. herp derp math

    1. Nicola Marie Jackson

      He probably wasn’t the only one to end his life. If you can see death comin, I imagine a lot would walk to him rather than vice versa, especially if your going to die choking on your own blood. Just a suggestion. I may be wrong. I often am Xx

  6. Researching for a story is critical. This premise just doesn’t work. The reason why is called the Geneva Convention, or Geneva Protocol. The most frightening stories are those that are within the realm of possibilities. This just wouldn’t happen in modern day America. You gotta do your homework. Writing fantasy and sci-fi does not give a writer carte blanche to just make stuff up to get a story to work. I know this is a bit of a harsh critique, but it really is meant to be constructive. Sometimes, simple mistakes in fact checking, continuity, and even grammar will kill an otherwise decent story. Many more traditional lit zines and literary agents or publishers have a maximum number of allowed grammatical or spelling errors before they just chuck a story out of hand and move on to the next of thousands of submissions that they have to read. And that number is usually something like five. This is one nice thing I’ve noticed about Creepypasta: a lot of good ideas get fleshed out here without being scrapped for, say, “commacide” – that is the horrid abuse that a comma suffers at the hand of an untrained, lazy, or unedited writer. And that is OK, because there is a community that is enjoying reading the work and giving feedback to make the artists better at their craft. I digress. I meant for this to be a quick comment, but they are thoughts that I have been having in general about this site as I’ve been having fun reading all manners of stories here in the past few days. Cheers, all.

  7. Pretty good concept but it seemed rushed and as if writer wrote it with a mobile device with autocorrect since a couple of words were either out of place or misused i do like the government tie in but the both the rain and the government involvement could have been explains a little more to make the pasta a bit believable. 8/10

  8. There’s a film called Take Shelter with Michael Shannon that involves yellow rain, wonder if the author got inspiration from it.

  9. I had completely forgotten about this until tonight. I actually looked it up on Crappypasta, fully expecting it to end up there.

    I feel really bad that I didn’t put much more work into this project, as it is my favorite idea. I feel as though the 8.7 rating might be a bit undeserved. This was rushed and not checked or read over for quality.

    1. Nicola Marie Jackson

      It was still a really good story, Hon and the end bit made it for me. Not just the report but the “Nice Weekend” guys. Made it seem like slowly killing hundreds of its own people isn’t a big deal to them and that’s what made it creepy to me Xx

  10. Nice story, but there are a few things I’d like to touch up on. There are some small errors concerning spelling, for instance: “It retrospect though, they got the easy way out.”
    Where “It” should be “In”. Not a huge problem, though. The only other concern is that the letter seems a bit lengthy for a letter. If I may, offer a suggestion? The length would be perfectly suitable if it were a multi-page document, rather than a letter. This would provide a mood where the writer clearly spent a lot of time writing down the documents and clearly wanted to ensure that every detail was exposed for the “Survivor”. That’s another thing, I love your style of writing. There’s a lot that isn’t cleared up too- which is a good thing! I’d like to see a; part-2, if you will. Describing the CDC a bit more, or maybe offering a different twist of actual ‘Survivors’ who examine the destroyed environment? Like I previously stated, I love this pasta. Easy to follow, great ending, and best of all – fun to read. I look forward to future writings, Josh M.
    10/10 for this pasta.

  11. I could have done without the little government letter at the end. I liked it but it would have been good both ways, it’s just, for me, it kind of made it funnier. But because it was just a chemical, I want to know if the figures were just hallucinations, or if they were real.

    1. Totally agree with you, by the way, have you seen the movie? No spoilers, but it is a bloody, (I mean this literally) Awesome movie, seriously, if you haven’t seen it, WATCH IT!!!!

  12. this pasta reminds me of the novel the “plague” by albert camus.
    a cheap representation at best. i’d give it a 6/10 for the mediocrity of both the storyline and conclusion. in total honesty, I liked the idea of the pasta, but it seemed like the idea is a bit too complicated to be written in such simplistic writing.

  13. So… the yellow eyed demons were just hallucinations?

    I was hoping for some drug that opened your eyes and made you see the hidden creatures of the world.. But at a cost.

  14. This is one of the best and original pastas I’ve read. I would have liked the author to make it a bit longer, and elaborated on the chaos that the disease brought, but a great storyline and ending. Also, living in Jeffersonville, Indiana, this freaks me out a bit. 9/10

  15. Actually, I thoroughly enjoyed this pasta. I admit I was a bit confused now and then, because of how a few transitions were arranged, but other than that I believe this was a great idea! The freakiest thing is–it could honestly happen.
    ((Since I’m an avid reader I just have to add this in– this story seriously reminded me of a book series called the Maze Runner, the whole experiment and message, and all.))
    Overall: Brilliant! 10/10! :)

  16. I enjoyed this story, but I must agree with a previous comment. It was cliche about it being a government test. Much like the movie “The Crazies”. It ruined it because I felt as though it was a retelling of the same background conspiracy. Because of the great shift from a description of the peoples madness into the protagonists’ point of veiw was much too sudden. It would have made more sense if the protagonist had shown signs of his insanity from the begining but had been very subtly noted. Also a continuation of Marks’ perspective and possibly a less obvious hint of a conspiracy from the beginning would have been a wise choice. Solid 7/10 from me.

  17. Not actually creepy.. But AMAZING. This story was really good. Admittedly the tone in the top part of the story, in which the guy is describing the situation, differed greatly from when it started to when it concluded. You would see that drift into insanity in journal pastas. But other than that the ending wasn’t what I expected, and although a bit too direct, really did a good job tying it all together. Good job and I give it an 8.7/10 and nothing higher because it wasn’t creepy enough. :)

  18. You wouldn’t just have the backing of the population, you would have concerned people from the United Nations. Weather Warfare is outlined in the Geneva Convention as being illegal. So, it would have been investigated…

    Anyways, nice story.

  19. This story was average at best. The syntax was rather broken in some areas and the overall feel of the piece felt a little forced. Also, the amount of cliches in this pasta were distracting. Finally. It was completely predictable. You gave away the fact that it was a government conspiracy with the comment about it probably not being a terrorist attack. Also, your SEVERAL notions that the sickness was likely the result of a chemical toxin was a dead give away. If you wanted to make this seem unpredictable, you could totally loose those details and the story would be better for it. Honestly, I think you made your protagonist a little too smart. The fact that he is able to figure out the true nature of the Fever is a little far-fetched, considering the fact that he was right on the money. Finally, your implication with Mark never really went anywhere and that was rather disappointing. The pasta could have shifted to his point of view and HE could have found out about the conspiracy. That would have been more satisfying to the reader, but its just an opinion.

    Because of all those things, I really only can give this a 5/10. You had no flow issues and the pasta was generally well-written, but some plot issues detracted from the vibe as a whole.

    1. I believe he implied that Mark was killed by the government since the CIA was behind it and obviously wouldn’t want anyone getting out and telling others.

    2. Agreed. I would’ve preferred something a little more inexplicable; even if it was a “government conspiracy” (which came off as a little tacky/heavy-handed to me, did we really need to know the “president” was involved and now they could invade any country they liked? Too forced), it would’ve been more interesting if it had gotten out of control.

      What if Mark escaped and the “fever” escaped with him? What if Muriel didn’t just die, but the protagonist killed her himself and hallucinated the “shadow men”? You could set up for a outbreak (with Mark being the carrier) of a hallucinogenic disease that causes violence. As it is, the story just kind’ve ends with “HURR HURR ‘American Sheeple'”. Meh.

  20. I adored this story! The end report made it the perfect conspiracy theory. I’ll definitely think of this the next time the clouds look kinda off.

  21. Wasn’t bad, it was well written and fairly easy to read. The idea was quite original and well developed, though the black shadow people with glowy eyes remind me of that one Pokemon.

  22. Wow great story! The only thing that made the story scarier is the fact that it could very well happen just about anywhere. Whether it’s a small Hoosier farming community, or a huge city.

    1. Yeah, at first, I was like “Oh yes, a truly great pasta, at last, this is 8/10 at least”.

      ANd then the ending struck…. NOOOOOO!

    2. I agree. For one thing, it wasn’t the least bit believable – in the sense that it forced me out of my suspension of disbelief. I highly doubt any project like that would send out such an informal and incriminating email. Plus it just seems like a bad form for a project – do something, then discuss it, rather than discuss the details on why and how, then carry out the action.

      That point aside, personal preference keeps me from liking this. It had potential until the reason for it was the government. Something about connecting events like these to some sort of group plan (especially governments) just kill any creepiness for me. I should clarify this more by saying group of people as pastas like The Woman with the Orange (or whatever the title was) I find to be creepy, although there may be some sort of cult – the “people” may very well not be people at all.

      All that considered, I find this pasta extremely lacking via my personal preference, but not necessarily bad. Obviously some people found it creepy and enjoyed it, and the writing style wasn’t horrible.

  23. THEN WHO WAS....nevermind o.O

    What’s really creepy is that it’s actually raining where I am. Its dark so I can’t see the color…lol. Good pasta. I just hope an epidemic like this doesn’t really happen though! This would be scary to go through!!!

  24. Really good pasta. Well done.

    Nice and simply laid out, easy to follow, grammar was good and unlike many pastas it was unpredictable.

    Please keep writing Josh.M, I like your story.

    10/10

  25. “Now, the important thing to know is that we’re a small Hoosier farming community, maybe 1,500 or so people, so unless some radical has a grudge against corn and soybeans, I doubt it was a terrorist attack.”

    I’m from Indy lol I love that line

  26. Ok my first post in a while and I just wanted to say say FIRST REVIEW. Sorry that’s not usual for but still a great pasta. I loved this one the writing excellent the story line was great. The disease symptoms were very good and well thought out. This could be a huge pasta. And I loved the government conspiracy cover up. Very clever. I loved everything about this pasta 10+

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top