Advertisement
Please wait...

Xenia



Estimated reading time — 3 minutes

“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself…”-Franklin D. Roosevelt

In the state of Illinois, there is a small village called Xenia. The U.S. Census Bureau states that there are 407 people living within the town limits as of 1999. On April 26th,I was driving up from Texas to Toronto, Canada to visit some relatives and celebrate my birthday. My fuel gauge read “E” as it did all too often it seemed. I was somewhere in Southern Illinois, lost due to my inability to read maps while driving. A storm, fast approaching, only worsened my already sour mood. “God DAMNIT”, I screamed, as I pulled into the old timey gas station. There was noone inside the store, or in sight.

I drove slowly into town; the rain had begun to fall. I pulled over and walked up to a house, remarking to myself why anyone would need such a nice Mustang GT in such a hick town. I knocked loudly, expecting a swift answer, only to receive utter silence. The only sound I could hear was the rain hitting the ground harder and harder. Frustrated, I tried the next house, and then the next. Nothing. I checked my watch. 4:23. “Where the hell could these people be?”, I asked myself.

Advertisements

After checking several more houses, I got back in my car and tried to start the engine. It barely sputtered to life. The rain had transformed into pelting sleet, so outside was no longer an option. I drove to the local church, my last resort. “Woodland Baptist Church”, it read. Taking a deep breath and bracing myself for the sleet and religious piousness. I dashed across the walkway to the door and opened it.

I opened the door. Noone there. I swore a foul oath, then walked to the front of the choir stands, my steps making hollow echoing sounds beneath me. There was a cellar. I pushed aside the curtains behind the podium and located the latch that opened the cellar door. To my extreme displeasure, I could not open it. As if swearing at it would make it open, I let fly the most horrendous insults I could think of. After my swearing session, I tried calling Triple A, but my phone got 0 bars. As you can imagine, my rage was palpable. I decided to force open the cellar door to release some of my built up frustration. As the latch broke off, an insidious stench permeated the air. I gagged and pinched my nose. Once my eyes stopped watering, I opened them.

Advertisements

I gagged a second time, bile rising in the back of my throat. Emaciated corpses littered the basement. Hundreds upon hundreds of men, women, and even children, just lay there, ribs prominent, eyes wide. I sprinted out of the church and through the hailstorm, into my car. I might’ve cried for an hour, or a day. Time had lost meaning.When I regained control over my senses,I found myself stumbling along the road in broad daylight. A sign up ahead said Salem- 5 miles. As the police would later tell me, I had walked nearly 50 miles in a state of catatonia. I couldn’t remember anything at first, until I was approached by a policeman.

Advertisements

“Happy Easter, son.” A burly policeman stood next to me. “What?”, I replied stupidly. “I said Happy Easter.” I couldn’t think of anything nice to say, so I stayed my tongue. He seemed determined to have a conversation though. “You heard about them Y2K schizoids freakin’ out over the end of the world?”, he chuckled at me. “Yeap, its all over the news, how people holed up in their community centers to wait out the end.” I gaped in disbelief.

Credit To: Steven P.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

24 thoughts on “Xenia”

  1. Immortal Dragoneye

    I enjoy the quote, and the various locations mentioned in the story. I think it gives it a good feel, and the ending was something I didn’t quite expect. As I said, it was a good story, and the idea was fantastic, but I didn’t get much of the creepy feel I was hoping for when I read these stories. Also, I noticed some incorrect grammar, such as the ‘word’ ‘noone.’ Clearly, that is not a word, and if it was it would possibly be pronounced ‘noon’ and just with an added ‘e’ at the end. ‘No one’, should’ve been said, and I’m just saying this because bad grammar and spelling is one of my biggest pet peeves, so if you don’t know how to spell it, look it up, ask someone, or use a different word. As for grammar, I would recommend you watch your usage of that.

  2. I thought it was good but the ending could have had more meat on it. And for the person that asked what happened to them, they locked themselves in hense him having to break the cellar open.

  3. Okay, not cool for a few reasons.
    1: this makes fun of of peoples beliefs. Not very smart or plausible beliefs, but still.
    2. HORRIBLE storytelling and grammar. I felt nothing whatsoever for ANY of the characters and the protagonist came across as a COMPLETE DOUCHEBAG. Angry cause no service = busting into a place worship. Not cool.
    3. Where in hell was this story going?! Random town = no one (notice the space) anywhere =

    1. Zombies? Nope, not even the overdone “ancient (insert generic monster type here)” kind of thing. And it doesn’t explain HOW THE HELL they died. Exposed ribs, so something attacked them? Or maybe starvation? Nothing fits with the story. 2 out of five. Please whoever wrote this, keep trying. But maybe get someone to proofread it next time okay?

  4. OK story, but the geography is off. You’d have to walk about 14 miles to be 5 miles outside of Salem from Xenia

    And this could explain why my ex from Xenia would just lay there like a corpse during lovemaking lol

    The biggest bit of fiction is a cop around Salem being semi nice

  5. Not really a very good pasta… I find the ending a bit too abrupt. Abrupt endings aren’t really my cup of tea

  6. I dont think it was quite predictable… But I feel like there could’ve been more depth to the story, to what happened to the people. Overall, the pasta is okay. 5/10

    1. Your name, I read it in a book once a long time ago, I think it was called “scary stories to tell in the dark” or something like that but either way, that was my favorite story.

      1. I love those books, you’re right, there’s “scary stories to tell in the dark”, “more scary stories to tell in the dark”, and “scary stories 3: more tales to chill your bones”. I loved and still read all three sometimes when I’m bored. They were my first taste of scary stories (outside campfire tales) and now here I am on creepypasta every night because I can’t get enough!

      2. Yeah, that’s one version. It’s an old native American story. The most well known version by Algernon Blackwood is a really good read.

  7. Um, what? I feel like this could’ve been a good story but the ending was much too abrupt and made very little sense. As is, I give it a ‘meh’.

    1. The_Amazing SAF

      I feel the same way. I like the fact that in 1999, the Y2K virus was a concern, and that it played a part in the story. But it’s not creepy really, they just starved to death.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top