Advertisement
Please wait...

TLC



Estimated reading time — 3 minutes

Thomas rose from his modest flower garden and wiped his filthy hands on his jeans. He stood there for a moment, his eyes lingering on the lush blossoms. A sense of accomplishment overcame him. Though the plot was humble, what it lacked in quantity, it was overly abundant in quality. The blooms were vibrant and full of life; the stems and leaves were rich and crisp. Even the dark earth was fresh and moist to the point that it caused his neighbors to envy his garden.
However, very few people knew the amount of blood, sweat and tears that had gone into perfecting his garden. He had prepared the foundation of the plot himself, choosing the strenuous task of double-digging rather than tilling the soil, which loosened the earth even further so that his precious blossoms wouldn’t struggle as they stretched out their roots. After planting the seedlings, Thomas had applied a thick layer of organic compost – ground leaves, banana peels, coffee grounds, and grass clippings – to ensure that the flowers would receive proper nutrition. Atop that, he deposited a thin coat of mulch to assist the soil in better retaining water. Thomas had even insisted on using an organic fertilizer that, as far as he knew, could not be found in stores. The price was dear, but he soon found it was well worth it.
The first time he laid his loving gaze on the pioneer stem that had broken free of the earth’s clutches, an overwhelming rush of joy seized him. He was sure that the feeling could never be surpassed. He was swiftly proven wrong the next day, however, when he was delighted to find that two more seedlings had followed closely behind the first. A childlike joy filled his life, one that he had desperately been seeking.
Thomas was never late to tend to his plants. He was often caught singing to each blossom individually just as the morning light broke over the horizon and bathed his garden in an elegant radiance. At these times, even the dew droplets danced and shimmered like diamonds. It was breath-taking, and he never wanted it to end.
Thomas kept his adoring stare glued to the graceful blooms, even as he heard a faint rustling behind him that soon turned into muffled footsteps.
“Thomas? Thomas Conner?”
As a momentary scowl of frustration passed over Thomas’s tender face, he reluctantly tore his eyes from his darling garden and turned around. To his surprise, he found himself face-to-face with his long-ago childhood friend.
“If it isn’t ol’ Roy Mather!” Thomas chuckled, moving in to greet his old friend with a hug.
“In the flesh,” Roy joked.
“What brings you back to this sleepy town, buddy?”
Roy tossed his hands into the air in mock defeat. “The wife insisted it was high time we came down here and visited the family. Women, eh?” A wily grin cut across his boyish features, but it was cut short. It was as if a storm cloud had passed over him, one which Thomas could neither see nor feel. “Speaking of.. I heard about Tabitha—“
Thomas quickly cut him off, in no mood for an unannounced pity party. “She’s in a better place, Roy.”
Roy seemed uncertain. “I suppose so.. I might complain a lot, but I don’t know what I’d do if I lost Carroll. As sad as it might sound, I don’t think I could properly function without my wife’s constant nagging.” He flashed a half-hearted smirk.
Thomas placed a firm hand on his friend’s shoulder and squeezed tightly. The two stood there for a few minutes in silence, allowing the awkwardness to evaporate until Roy finally broke the quiet.
“Those sure are some mighty fine flowers, Tommy.”
Thomas couldn’t help but feel a sensation of pride. “Thanks buddy. They’re my babies.”
“Carroll and I – well, mostly Carroll – have been trying to grow our own flower garden for over a year now, but it seems we don’t exactly have green thumbs. Could you let me in on your secret? So I could pass it along to the wife, of course.” He beamed sheepishly.
“Just some good, old fashioned TLC,” Thomas mused, snickering at what appeared to be an inside joke.
Slightly confused, Roy thanked him and headed off, leaving the man giggling to himself.
“TLC,” Thomas repeated as he brushed some stray dirt off of a plaque at the base of his garden. “Isn’t that right, dear?”
He ran a dirty finger over the words inscribed. In loving memory of Tabitha L. Conner.

Credit To – Ali Kae

Advertisements
Advertisements
Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

28 thoughts on “TLC”

  1. GabychosePikachu!Usekill!SE

    Could have been more specififc all hints were pointing to “hey he buried a dead person there” all the peices to the puzzle fell into the story way to quickly a good story lets the peices fall at there own pace even for a short story this way a bit to fast. The good (or bad thing depending on how you view it) was that it left you with lots of questions. Did he kill her, Did he bury the whole body or only part of it, Ect. the one most people would want to know would most likely be how did she die? What was the story behind TLC’s death?

  2. Joe:
    Quite good. I knew as soon as you remarked on the fertilizer he killed someone. I didn’t expect it to be his wife. I kind of think that a remark about the age of the garden being right after his wife died might have been well received, but I am not sure.

  3. I really enjoyed this story! It has so many questions left unanswered, and I like that about scary stories! Criticize me all you like, but this is by far in my top ten favorite Creepypasta list and I have read many in my day.

  4. BORING!!! so predictable.., I wish there was a killer and was all like…full on blood guts hack ‘n slash that sorta thing o.0 those things interest me

  5. I actually really liked this story because I instantly knew that the organic fertilizer was a dead person, but I was suprised when I realized he’d used his wife. It also shows why his friend looked confused when he said Tabitha was in a better place. If she simply disappeared and no body had obviously been found, how did he know she was in a better place? 8/10

  6. I think that it’s just vague enough that some people would think he dedicated his garden to his wife, yet others might find it stale and old as a plotline (but then again, it all depends on how people think).

    I think if you give it a bit more back story, then it could turn out well.

  7. I’m not one who believes every Creepypasta must have a ‘twist’ ending, although it’s always appreciated, and usually (if done well) adds to the reading experience. But I do feel they need to contain some suspense, some foreboding, some misdirection, and I feel this pasta failed in that regard. Wether or not Thomas killed and buried his wife in the garden is irrelevant. That premise (or not) isn’t sufficient enough for me to consider frightening. There needed to be something else to convey the horror to the reader.

    Maybe if you had Thomas out tending his garden and finding body parts amidst the flowers – a fingernail stuck to a rose petal; a tongue wagging from a chrysanthemum; a pair of lips in a cluster of . . . tulips?

    Or, maybe have Thomas seeing his wife’s face in the morning dew drops accumulated on the petals; her face distorted, writhing in agony, and he comes to realize there’s something far more sinister than Tabitha’s fertilizing corpse buried beneath his flower bed.

  8. I really enjoyed the writing style of this, and felt it was an enjoyable read. But, after the first mention of a garden, I knew precisely where this was headed. It is a topic that has been done many times over, so it weakens your final product. But, if I look at it objectively, I still really enjoyed the way you wrote this and how you described things. I find it almost sad in a way, filling the loss of his wife with passion in his garden. I get that you could read he killed her, but I also did not find that explicit enough to be certain. My interpretation was a bit more sad. Nonetheless, I find this really well written and enjoyable. I’d love to read something a bit more original from you in the future, because you write really well! Happy writing!

  9. I knew there would be a body or something similar buried there from pretty much the first paragraph, and the ending wasn’t really creepy, or anything in the story for that matter, nothing was implied asto how the wife died. Although this story could have used so e creepy buildup it was still very well written, in my opinion, 7/10.

  10. The writing itself was above par, but the plot? Far less so. The “twist” ending was obvious by the end of the first paragraph. People as fertilizer is an old trope: heck, the Twilight Zone use this back in 2002, and it was ancient even then.

    As advice, when writing, never go for your first idea: it will also be the reader’s first idea. You need to dig down three or four ideas before you get to fresh soil (pun intended).

  11. Really liked it, though i saw it coming from miles away. Really loved how you described his feelings towards the flowers giving away his psychotic self just barely untill the end. Decent pasta. 8/10

  12. Quite good. I knew as soon as you remarked on the fertilizer he killed someone. I didn’t expect it to be his wife. I kind of think that a remark about the age of the garden being right after his wife died might have been well received, but I am not sure.

  13. I get the premiss behind this, however it doesn’t really strike me as creepy. I mean the idea as a whole works out, but personally I think it it’s fleshed out just a little more. Just indicating that the guy killed his wife just to grow flowers seems, just strange to me if you don’t have a build up to it. I’m giving it a 4/10.

    1. I’m pretty sure he killed her and buried her under the garden…but the story is so vague in that regard, you could just as easily interpret it as “sad weirdo dedicates his garden to his dead wife.”

  14. A tad mediocre….and once I learned about Tabitha I quickly guessed the T in TLC would have SOMETHING to do with Tabitha. Not a bad story. Just wish there were more to it.

  15. Wow this was predictable. Literally as soon as you said, “organic fertilizer” I knew it was a dead person. If you could’ve fleshed this out a bit, this might’ve been a better pasta.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top