Advertisement
Please wait...

The Subway Ride



Estimated reading time — < 1 minute

I live in the UK. A colleague at work heard this from her boyfriend. He works with someone who said that his sister’s friend got the last tube (subway train) home a couple of weeks ago. When she got on there were 5 rows of seats empty but the last row had three people sitting in them. As she was a little afraid, she went and sat opposite these people. She settled down and looked up to see the woman sitting opposite her really staring at her.

So she got out her book and started to read but every time she looked up the woman was still staring. The train pulled into the next station and a man got on. He looked up and down the carriage, took a look at her and the people opposite her and came and sat next to her. As the train left the station the man leaned back and said quietly in her ear “If you know what’s good for you, you’ll get off at the next station with me”. She was scared but thought the best idea would be to get off at the next station as he asked as there might be people around.

Advertisements

The next stop comes up and she leaves the train with this man. The man says “Thank God, I didn’t mean to scare you but I had to get you off that train. I’m a doctor and the woman sitting opposite you was dead and the two men either side were propping her up”. According to the guy who told this story, the girl and the doctor called the police who stopped the train at the next station.

Advertisements
Advertisements
Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

66 thoughts on “The Subway Ride”

  1. -_Sarah_Smiles_-

    Hah/ If someone stares at me, I just look, like, bruh, you wanna kidnap me? YOU WANNA GO BREH? Haha, no, I just be like, “Whatchu lookin’ at? Bish?” Well. Not the bish part, but really. YOU GET WHAT I MEAN.

  2. I heard this in an Alvin Schwartz story, slightly different. In that version, there’s three men and one is dead, they all get into a seat nearby the main character on a city bus.

    She thinks he’s just drunk, the way his head rolls around.

    The two guys get off at different stops, and the dead guy is left. The bus bumps something on the road, and the seats shake, the guy falls on the floor next to the girl, and she sees the bullt hole.

    All I can think is, at least the girl wasn’t gonna die XD

  3. I’m really glad I found this as it’s potentially saved me a bit of embarrassment. Seven or eight years ago a friend of mine told me a variation of this story, one which was even more fleshed out and extremely believable. There was always a chance I could have turned it into a story, but I’m glad I didn’t now.

    Still, nice to see it somewhere. Good re-telling of it, and I don’t think there’s any problem with something which is obviously an urban legend appearing here. Especially when it has such a brilliant twist.

    ~ Mike

  4. I’ve read this somewhere before, it’s in a scary stories book I own. Good job with the retelling, it was worth reading again.

  5. So this was originally in one of those “scary stories to tell in the dark” books. Not original at all. But I suppose it is good to have it on here for the people who didn’t have the pleasure of reading those books…I highly recommend them if you haven’t :) They are like the original creepypastas.

  6. I Hate Assumptions

    I<–colleague<–boyfriend<–co-worker<–sister<–friend

    This is way too many steps removed to be that scary.

  7. Totally creeped out. Maybe she didn’t notice she was dead because she didn’t want to stare back. It seemed like she just kept making quick glances. I should go to bed but to be honest I am too afraid to go into the dark room…

  8. Anonymoose:
    So we need a doctor to tell us when we’re sitting across from a dead corpse now?

    This isn’t Weekend at Bernie’s. Dead is dead.

    Your a brony you are invalid

  9. It felt kinda… abrupt with the ending. I feel more should of been said on what the police found out or something. I was left hungry with this pasta but I’d want more. Not bad pasta but not enough of it

  10. Besides the fact that this is old, it\’s not too creepy with zero context as to why two guys are propping up a corpse. Who are they? Did they kill the old woman? Why is it important that the one to point it out was a doctor?

  11. Why does it have to be a doctor who recognizes that she’s dead? It’s not like dead people look particularly … lively.

    Also, old but classic.

  12. Being from Hawaii and moving to New York no more than 2 months ago, I do not like the subway….hopefully i will get used to it, but this story did not help put me at ease D:

  13. Minus the two-guys-holding-her-up thing, it sounded like something someone would put on FML.

    Not scary. A little weird. But not great. C-.

  14. What Gegner said is true. And the original is superior. In it, the woman is scared of the man who is trying to help, and understandably so. The three young men (the “dead woman” in this is a man in the original, whom she assumes in drunk) look like safer people to her, and she gets frightened when the other man keeps looking over at her with a crazed expression. In the original, he eventually hands her a newspaper, asking if she has seen the news. Petrified, she takes it. On the front, the man has written “I’m a policeman, those two men have killed the man in the middle. Get off at the next stop.”

    It was creepy, I can tell you. Creepier than this.

    1. Author's colleague's boyfriend's sister's friend

      I am. Fix your grammar. I know an author who could help you, if you want.

  15. Old story is old. Is based off an old, old story, most popular publication being the “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” series by Alvin Schwartz. The story in question is called “The Man in the Middle” and is the same story with slight differences. No doctor, and the men propping the body up get off one stop at a time, with a sharp turn pitching the body on the floor in front of the “narrator”

  16. strange thing is

    this happend to a friend’s mum

    she was on the train and this woman was sat opposite her… turns out she was dead and the two women sat across the carriage and strangled the woman moments before her mum had got on the train

    creepy huh

    x

  17. So we need a doctor to tell us when we’re sitting across from a dead corpse now?

    This isn’t Weekend at Bernie’s. Dead is dead.

  18. i liked it but i felt like you had to keep the information of the other 2 people secret otherwise it would’ve given it away

  19. The Colleauge's, boyfriend's, co-worker's, sister's friend

    What kind of world do we live in
    Where I can’t even sit on the subway and read a freaking book in peace?!

  20. Possibly assassins, or organ harvesters for the black market. Maybe they were just sick bastards. London is full of these freaks.:D

  21. I’ve already read that one, weird.
    I think it creeped me out the first time I read it, but I’ve read it a few times.

  22. I remember this, and I daresay it’s good. But @Wheat – I concur. That part was really unnecessary, and kind of killed the beginning.

  23. Good pasta, I had read it before without this stupid part:

    “A colleague at work heard this from her boyfriend. He works with someone who said that his sister’s friend got the last tube (subway train)”

    So, whoever the author is.. has a friend, who has a friend, who has a friend, who has a friend, who has a friend, who this happened to.

    1. Even better, to be exact, the author has a co-worker who has a boyfriend, who has a co-worker who has a relative who has a friend that this happened to.

  24. I thought this one was on here? Maybe not? I think this is the third or forth variation I’ve heard =P Still a good story though.

  25. I’ve read this one before. Gave me chills just thinking about being in that girl’s place. The beginning part where the person heard it from someone who heard it from someone else who heard it from etc. was pretty funny to me though.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top