Advertisement
Please wait...

The Staircase Ritual



Estimated reading time — 8 minutes

If you’re reading this, it’s likely because you’re at your wit’s end. You’ve been watching too many scary movies, or maybe you’ve read a few too many creepy pastas, or perhaps you’ve just been left alone with your own thoughts for far too long. You keep hearing suspicious noises, you’re not sure but you think that shadow in the corner just moved, and/or you just feel a presence other than your own and you’ve become uneasy. At this point, you just want to know — and you want to know for absolutely sure — is there something in your house? Should you be worried about it? What’s going to happen to you if you succumb to your desire to close your eyes and go to sleep?

Well, you’ve come to the right place. If you really want to know, I will now delegate to you the first of many methods. This ritual is designed to detect the activity of the supernatural, demonic and/or worse. Here’s what you’ll need:

1. A staircase, preferably one with twelve or thirteen stairs (excluding the landings) but you can do it with up to sixteen. It is highly inadvisable that you use a staircase with seventeen or more stairs or a staircase with eleven or less stairs.

Advertisements

2. A small, portable fan. It’s suggested one that runs on battery. If you have one, you can use a fire puffer as an alternative.

3. A cup of water

4. A handful of dirt

5. A candle. Make sure it is one that will not burn out easily. And something to light it with.

6. A picture of your house or whatever stood in the place of your house from as far back as you can get

7. A picture of your house as it is now

Advertisements

8. A pair of dice

9. Two watches or small clocks, preferably analog but if you only have digital, that’s fine

10. A food offering. It must be an animal product.

11. A mirror

12. A handful of ash

13. A few dust bunnies

14. A bug or another living and easily overpowered creature.

15. Something from your body (a toe/fingernail, a lock of hair, saliva, blood, a tooth, etc.)

16. Salt

17. A weapon, preferably one made of silver

To begin, you will want to prepare your stairs. You must be aware of the exact time that you begin this ritual and you must begin during the afternoon as the entire ritual must be completed during PM hours. If you have twelve or thirteen stairs you will start by standing on the bottom landing. If you have more stand on the bottom stair and place the first item on the next stair. From here recite: “It is from here whenceforth I shall commence.”

On the first stair, place the small fan but don’t turn it on. If you’re using a fire puffer, fill it up with air and don’t puff it out. Place it on the stair instead of a fan. As you do so, recite: “Here is the air that mortal breathes.”

On the second stair, place the glass of water. As you do so, recite: “Here is the water that mortal drinks.”

On the third stair, place the handful of dirt. Try to spread it wide. As you do so, recite: “Here is the earth on which mortal stands.”

On the fourth stair, place the candle but don’t light it. Leave whatever you intend to light the candle with beside it. As you do so, recite: “Here is the fire that burns mortal’s hands.”

On the fifth stair, place the picture of your house from the past. As you do so, recite: “Here is the time that has come to pass.”

Advertisements

On the sixth stair, place the picture of your house as it is now, and roll the dice beside it. Pray that it does not come up a high number. As you do so, recite: “Here is the present and the die are cast.”

On the seventh stair, place one of your watches. As you do so, recite: “Here comes the future, the time ticks by now.”

On the eighth stair, place your food offering. As you do so, recite: “Here is the offering for Devil’s mouth.”

On the ninth stair, place the mirror. As you do so, recite: “Here is my image, in God’s likeness I trust.” [Note: Regardless of whether you are Christian or religious at all, you must recite this line as it is phrased here without any substitution, hesitance or reservations.]

On the tenth stair, place the ashes and the dust bunnies. As you do so, recite: “Here is mortality, ashes, and dust.”

On the eleventh stair, place your bug. Make sure it cannot get away. It must be alive. As you do so, recite: “Here is a life I present unto thee.”

On the twelfth and final stair, place the thing from your body. As you do so, recite: “And here is the essence extracted from me.”

Step on the top landing or the final stair and turn around. Draw a line of salt across the edge of the stair/landing. Recite simply: “No further than here.”

Now leave your objects overnight. On this night, you should not notice anything suspicious or concerning. If you do, abort the ritual by putting a circle of salt around each item and around your bed as well as anyone else’s bed in your house. Leave them for the night, and then remove the items the following morning. You must completely obliterate them all. If you do not notice anything suspicious or concerning and are able to get a good night’s sleep without any nightmares or without waking up until daybreak, the ritual is officially in effect and whenever you wish to, you may complete it. It will remain in effect as long as all of the items remain on the stairs. However, none of the items should be allowed to fall from their stair or to overlap into other stairs. Do not allow the salt, dirt or the ashes&dust to spill over onto another stair. If you must, keep them in a container of some sort. The water must remain open to the air so be careful not to spill any of it. Do not leave anything besides these items on your stairs. In performing this ritual, you have banished any supernatural/demonic beings in your house to the first floor and they must get past the twelve curses you have set on your stairs before they can get to you. Believe me when I say, if they didn’t already despise you, they will now. Refrain from making unnecessary trips up and down your stairs after sundown as this weakens the curses. Depending on how strong your supernatural/demonic beings are, these curses might not hold more than a couple of nights. As soon as you start to notice even the most subtly peculiar activity, immediately consider completing the ritual. This ritual CANNOT be reinforced by repeating it. If you sleep on the first floor, do the ritual backwards, starting from the top of the stairs instead of the bottom. All the same rules apply. If you don’t have stairs in your house, you can do this same ritual in a long hallway as long as you can clearly see the twelve divisions. You may mark them with tape, lines of salt (which would create a stronger barrier) or pencil, or you can place a long thin piece of wood at regular intervals down the hallway. All the same rules apply. DO NOT perform this ritual in a room. DO NOT perform this ritual outside. DO NOT perform this ritual in any small enclosed space such as a tent or a car (if it’s even possible for you to do that.)

To complete the ritual, it is advisable that you evacuate everyone else from your house. Have them stay the night in a hotel or something. You must do this alone. Stand in the exact place where you recited “It is from here whenceforth I shall commence.” at exactly the same time when you originally recited this line when you initiated the ritual. Make sure you have your weapon in hand. You must stand there for the first hour, you must not move or be moved. Your feet must remain planted in place.

AS SOON AS the first hour ends, step onto the stair with the fan. Turn it on as quickly as possible and let it run across the stair. If you used a puffer, puff out the air that was inside it. DO NOT move from that stair for the entirety of the second hour. Stand facing the top of the stairs. DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES turn around or look behind you.

AS SOON AS the second hour ends, step onto the stair with the cup of water. Leave the fan running or make sure there is no air in the puffer. Drink the entire glass of water as quickly as possible. DO NOT move from that stair for the entirety of the third hour. Stand facing the top of the stairs. DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES turn around or look behind you.

Advertisements

AS SOON AS the third hour ends, step onto the stair with the dirt. Your feet must both be within the pile of dirt that you threw on the stair. If you put the dirt in a container, dump it out onto the stair as wide as possible to give yourself more space to stand on. DO NOT move from that stair for the entirety of the fourth hour. Stand facing the top of the stairs. DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES turn around or look behind you.

AS SOON AS the fourth hour ends, step onto the stair with the candle on it and light it. You may stand beside it or hold it up to your face. Make sure it does not go out. DO NOT move from that stair for the entirety of the fifth hour. Stand facing the top of the stairs. DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES turn around or look behind you.

AS SOON AS the fifth hour ends, step onto the stair with the picture from long ago. Without turning around, you must use the candle from the last stair to burn the picture. Don’t blow out the flame until the picture has been turned into ash or at least until you cannot tell what the picture is of anymore. DO NOT move from that stair for the entirety of the sixth hour. Stand facing the top of the stairs. DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES turn around or look behind you.

AS SOON AS the sixth hour ends, step onto the stair with the picture of the present day. You must rip this picture as many times as the dice indicated without letting it fall apart. DO NOT move from that stair for the entirety of the seventh hour. Stand facing the top of the stairs. DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES turn around or look behind you.

AS SOON AS the seventh hour ends, step onto the stair with the watch or small clock. You must turn the clock forward as many hours as the number on the dice. Do not turn it back to achieve the same number. DO NOT move from that stair for the entirety of the eighth hour. Stand facing the top of the stairs. DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES turn around or look behind you.

AS SOON AS the eighth hour ends, step onto the stair with the food offering. It may have been there for a few days so hopefully, it hasn’t gone too bad. You must take a bite of it and swallow. You must eat it as if it is delicious even if it is disgusting. DO NOT move from that stair for the entirety of the ninth hour. Stand facing the top of the stairs. DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES turn around or look behind you.

AS SOON AS the ninth hour ends, step onto the stair with the mirror. Look into the mirror and look only at your face. DO NOT try to use the mirror to look behind you. No matter what you see in the mirror you must not look away. DO NOT move from that stair for the entirety of the tenth hour. Stand facing the top of the stairs. DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES turn around or look behind you.

AS SOON AS the tenth hour ends, smash the mirror and step onto the stair with the ashes&dust. You must drop a drop of blood onto them. It must be your blood and it must be fresh. DO NOT move from that stair for the entirety of the eleventh hour. Stand facing the top of the stairs. DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES turn around or look behind you.

AS SOON AS the eleventh hour ends, step onto the stair with the bug. Kill the bug. DO NOT move from that stair for the entirety of the twelfth hour. Stand facing the top of the stairs. DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES turn around or look behind you.

AS SOON AS the twelfth hour ends, step onto the stair with the thing from your body. You must swallow it whole. You must not wash it down with anything. DO NOT move from that stair for the entirety of the thirteenth hour. Stand facing the top of the stairs. DO NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES turn around or look behind you.

As soon as the thirteenth and final hour ends, step onto the place where you recited: “No further than here.” Make sure you have your weapon in hand. Turn around and brace yourself. Good luck.

Credit To – CousinSpookyNoodles

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

82 thoughts on “The Staircase Ritual”

  1. Sierra Mackenzie

    You’d really need to hold your piss in to do this. I couldn’t last 13 full hours without having to go bathroom

  2. Absolutely impossible. The part where you gotta make sure the live bug doesn’t escape the stair isn’t possible without a container with air holes. And the animal food and the body part is gross, and finally, how is it possible to only look at your goddamn face without looking behind you for a bloody hour and change steps at the exact time?

  3. You clearly only need a silver sword with some specter oil….And perhaps add some runes to the blade for the possibility that it’ll start bleeding! Or freeze runes, you know. Them status effects can save your life!

  4. You need to change it from waiting an hour on each step to 13 minutes each stair. Thar’s creepier, more tolerable and believable. You’ll definitely get a lot more people to try it.

  5. Okay well let’s put it logically:
    If you were to remain with your feet firmly planted for 13 hours, they would eventually cause your legs to collapse from all the pain they’re in. Also you’d eventually need to use the bathroom or get some food or water– the rotten pig meat and one glass of water won’t do it for too long. Staring at your reflection in the mirror for that amount of time can cause hallucinations– and that’s in decent lighting. You’d start to hallucinate your own reflection tremendously if you looked at it for an hour in the dark. And how the heck are you supposed to keep the bug alive for that amount of time? Bugs don’t live a long time you know… and how are you supposed to keep it in one place? Can you put it in a container? In which case it would die even quicker?
    Overall this was a pretty good Pasta, but I think I’d rather have a medium and an exorcist come to my home and figure out if there was anything there for me rather than traumatize myself doing all of this.

  6. The answer is simple . . . if there is the slightest hint of paranormal activity in your house? Grab whatever you can, even if it’s a food lion bag . . . throw in your clothes, crate your animals and get the hell out.

  7. It’s great, my fhtagn pals LOVE playing this game with you mortals, my favorite part is when you look in the mirror, they all start reaching for you and pulling faces.

    It’s great. ^mmm^

    1. but beings can follow you if they get attached giving smudging, salt seals, blessings and consecration, or more or less any expulsatory rite from any faith works better then aggravating it and stabbing the bitch

  8. InsaneInTheBrain

    Having people actually think this is a legitimate ritual is like saying Jeff the Killer exists. -_- it’s just a creepypasta

  9. Iggy and Ziggy

    Iggy:Good luck? What the hell? You made us read for 20 mins and leave us with good luck. That’s just a slap in the face.

    Ziggy: I’m about to slap a bitch

  10. Okay. So standing there for that many house killed my back, made my feet ache and there was no demon. Not to mention, I freaking ate a piece of my hair to complete the ritual and killed an innocent lady bug. FAIL.

  11. I would do dis, but I don’t have enough time or patience. Also, I tire out really easy. This ritual is good for testing a soccer player’s endurance.

  12. And yet no one noticed that it stated that all these steps had to be performed within the PM hours, but there are 13 steps, all lasting an hour each…….. Really!?! Nobody else caught that!?! Moral of the story….don’t try this, because you are going to fail miserably. I’m hoping that whatever evil entity wrote this, isn’t too pissed that I pointed out the flaw in it’s plan! ;~}

  13. Aside from the fact I am highly tempted to do this…let’s just say, I’m black…so yeah, I’m good.

  14. Well I killed a Demon yaaaay he’s not ever gonna bug me again. doing this ritual was really tyring hehe I was really prepared though :3 I killed it with a sword xD I never thought having a sword would be so helpful, I never tought I would actually ever use it lol Thanks for solving my demon problem though :)

  15. After standing still for twelve consecutive hours staring straight ahead and doing nothing, when I finally did turn around to see the demon or whatever, I would probably have to pee so bad that I’d just piss all over it, then fall asleep on my feet, go crashing down the stairs and break my neck.

  16. “Hey everyone go to a motel or something i’m about to do a ritual i read on the internet kay?” *awkward stare*…… “okay?”

    1. or smudging and salt barriers work as well I know it works due to the fact i lived on a cemetery for the first 19 years of my life my little sis got scratched by spirits and i felt watched constantly I even roomed with a nice enough spirit plus smudging only chases out the bad ones given you have to do it in stages if you have animals or small ones that would run to a street but it works and no need to stab and aggravated spirit

  17. I imagine the creepiest part about this ritual, is if you are living on the second floor, and you go to the top of the staircase at night and look down to see the thing your trying to keep out, stare back at you.

    1. The Midnight Man

      You think that’s bad, at least you don’t have to choose which house to go to when multiple suckers play me like a game.

  18. The Old King Critic

    I remember the last time I did this ritual it ended up being my cat you have no idea how pissed it was when i jabbed it with a silver knife.

    1. I sure hope you weren’t serious about that. Poor kitty…

      Sorry, but it really gets to me when I hear about innocent animals get hurt (fictional or not).

    1. Mortals aren’t mere as u think they are, u who’s cast into the dark abyss shall stfu coz u have no place in this plane of existence. You who looked down on Mortals shall go back to where u were put to by the Holy Ones.

  19. Question: Who the hell would have all that crap in their house? Would take me weeks to gather all that stuff. Should’ve been simpler.

  20. Wow….Ive gotta say, this is pretty detailed. Sealing spiritual entities in said weapon would have been preferable…ah well. Peeved demon, sword, sheild, bring it on.

  21. John R The Chaos Dude

    Ritual pasta logic: The thing in your house is so damn scary, it’s worth going through an elaborate ritual to avoid, yet the ritual ends in fighting this monster anyway. I have a feeling that if you did that from the start when it wasn’t as pissed at you anyway, things might not go as badly.

    1. Not to mention that you just stood still for twelve hours straight, at which point probably anything could have the best of you, even just the fan you left on on the first step :-D

    2. I’m presuming the idea of the ritual is to magically weaken whatever it is and to ensure it can’t surprise-attack you. But yeah, thirteen hours is a bit much. Just moving out would probably be simpler ;)

      1. No, the idea behind is “to detect the activity of the supernatural, demonic and/or worse”. Yes, you need to gather all that stuff, set it up, cover the stairs and floor in some rooms with salt, send the inhabitants of the house/apartment away, waste hours standing on the stairs like an idiot only to know whether there is anything supernatural. Oh, and you get to piss off any entity if there were any in the first place and make it despise you. Retardation at its finest. People having supernatural residents can easily notice something wrong without having to do all this. I really wish the author would add the following piece of instruction after completion of the ritual: “Now look in the mirror and you will see a total sucker who does whatever people on the Internet tell him/her to do, hahaha.”

        By the way, the author had more rituals for you to try and this has been just one of them: “I will now delegate to you the first of many methods.” The grade of schizophrenia of other methods can only be imagined.

        1. What happens if there were in fact no dangerous entities in the building? Does the ritual draw some in?

        2. No you’re not supposed to do it if there is no demonic entity in your house. If there aren’t any, and you still decide to do it, it will simply not work and all your effort will be wasted.

      2. You can’t move out. Once you move into a house with a spirit or demon, they attach themself to your energy. Where ever you go, they go. There is no escape. Your best bet is to either get rid of them quickly or hope to whatever higher power you believe in that whatever you’re living with isn’t malevolent

    3. as you turn around you collapse falling down the stairs wildly flailing at what was behind with your weapon good luck

    1. nothing beside making u wait for thirteen hours on a staircase and making u turn around (if this even works)and get your ass handed by a demon or somthing

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top