Advertisement
Please wait...

The Russian Sleep Experiment



Estimated reading time — 12 minutes

Overview 

Widely regarded as one of the most popular and widest spread Creepypastas ever written, The Russian Sleep experiment is notorious as much for the gruesome nature of its content as for its plausibility. To this day, a large portion of the articles written about the story are attempts to investigate its validity or to debunk it as a hoax, something that speaks not only to the story’s effectiveness but also to the deeper societal anxieties to which the story appeals. 

For those who don’t know, The Russian Sleep Experiment is a supposedly factual account of experimentation acted out on subjects by the Soviet government and military in the wake of world war 2. The experiment, ostensibly meant to explore the effects of sleep deprivation on the human body was also used to test a new gas that could keep people awake for days at a time. The ‘report’ documents the degeneration of those experimented upon, individuals commonly referred to within the Creepypasta community as ‘The Test Subjects’. The horrifying results of these experiments and the crazed almost subhuman or demonic creatures it produces are often illustrated alongside the story with one image in particular being representative of the entire myth.

Russian Sleep Experiment Creepypasta Story

Russian researchers in the late 1940s kept five people awake for fifteen days using an experimental gas based stimulant. They were kept in a sealed environment to carefully monitor their oxygen intake so the gas didn’t kill them, since it was toxic in high concentrations. This was before closed circuit cameras so they had only microphones and 5 inch thick glass porthole sized windows into the chamber to monitor them. The chamber was stocked with books, cots to sleep on but no bedding, running water and toilet, and enough dried food to last all five for over a month.

The test subjects were political prisoners deemed enemies of the state during World War II.

Everything was fine for the first five days; the subjects hardly complained having been promised (falsely) that they would be freed if they submitted to the test and did not sleep for 30 days. Their conversations and activities were monitored and it was noted that they continued to talk about increasingly traumatic incidents in their past, and the general tone of their conversations took on a darker aspect after the 4 day mark.

After five days they started to complain about the circumstances and events that lead them to where they were and started to demonstrate severe paranoia. They stopped talking to each other and began alternately whispering to the microphones and one way mirrored portholes. Oddly they all seemed to think they could win the trust of the experimenters by turning over their comrades, the other subjects in captivity with them. At first the researchers suspected this was an effect of the gas itself…

After nine days the first of them started screaming. He ran the length of the chamber repeatedly yelling at the top of his lungs for 3 hours straight, he continued attempting to scream but was only able to produce occasional squeaks. The researchers postulated that he had physically torn his vocal cords. The most surprising thing about this behavior is how the other captives reacted to it… or rather didn’t react to it. They continued whispering to the microphones until the second of the captives started to scream. The 2 non-screaming captives took the books apart, smeared page after page with their own feces and pasted them calmly over the glass portholes. The screaming promptly stopped.

So did the whispering to the microphones.

After 3 more days passed, the researchers checked the microphones hourly to make sure they were working, since they thought it impossible that no sound could be coming with 5 people inside. The oxygen consumption in the chamber indicated that all 5 must still be alive. In fact, it was the amount of oxygen 5 people would consume at a very heavy level of strenuous exercise. On the morning of the 14th day, the researchers did something they said they would not do to get a reaction from the captives, they used the intercom inside the chamber, hoping to provoke any response from the captives they were afraid were either dead or vegetables.

They announced: “We are opening the chamber to test the microphones step away from the door and lie flat on the floor or you will be shot. Compliance will earn one of you your immediate freedom.”

To their surprise, they heard a single phrase in a calm voice response: “We no longer want to be freed.”

Debate broke out among the researchers and the military forces funding the research. Unable to provoke any more response using the intercom it was finally decided to open the chamber at midnight on the fifteenth day.

The chamber was flushed of the stimulant gas and filled with fresh air and immediately voices from the microphones began to object. 3 different voices began begging, as if pleading for the life of loved ones to turn the gas back on. The chamber was opened and soldiers sent in to retrieve the test subjects. They began to scream louder than ever, and so did the soldiers when they saw what was inside. Four of the five subjects were still alive, although no one could rightly call the state that any of them in ‘life.’

The food rations past day 5 had not been so much as touched. There were chunks of meat from the dead test subject’s thighs and chest stuffed into the drain in the center of the chamber, blocking the drain and allowing 4 inches of water to accumulate on the floor. Precisely how much of the water on the floor was actually blood was never determined. All four ‘surviving’ test subjects also had large portions of muscle and skin torn away from their bodies. The destruction of flesh and exposed bone on their finger tips indicated that the wounds were inflicted by hand, not with teeth as the researchers initially thought. Closer examination of the position and angles of the wounds indicated that most if not all of them were self-inflicted.

The abdominal organs below the ribcage of all four test subjects had been removed. While the heart, lungs and diaphragm remained in place, the skin and most of the muscles attached to the ribs had been ripped off, exposing the lungs through the ribcage. All the blood vessels and organs remained intact, they had just been taken out and laid on the floor, fanning out around the eviscerated but still living bodies of the subjects. The digestive tract of all four could be seen to be working, digesting food. It quickly became apparent that what they were digesting was their own flesh that they had ripped off and eaten over the course of days.

Most of the soldiers were Russian special operatives at the facility, but still many refused to return to the chamber to remove the test subjects. They continued to scream to be left in the chamber and alternately begged and demanded that the gas be turned back on, lest they fall asleep…

To everyone’s surprise, the test subjects put up a fierce fight in the process of being removed from the chamber. One of the Russian soldiers died from having his throat ripped out, another was gravely injured by having his testicles ripped off and an artery in his leg severed by one of the subject’s teeth. Another 5 of the soldiers lost their lives if you count ones that committed suicide in the weeks following the incident.

In the struggle one of the four living subjects had his spleen ruptured and he bled out almost immediately. The medical researchers attempted to sedate him but this proved impossible. He was injected with more than ten times the human dose of a morphine derivative and still fought like a cornered animal, breaking the ribs and arm of one doctor. When heart was seen to beat for a full two minutes after he had bled out to the point there was more air in his vascular system than blood. Even after it stopped he continued to scream and flail for another 3 minutes, struggling to attack anyone in reach and just repeating the word “MORE” over and over, weaker and weaker, until he finally fell silent.

The surviving three test subjects were heavily restrained and moved to a medical facility, the two with intact vocal cords continuously begging for the gas demanding to be kept awake…

The most injured of the three was taken to the only surgical operating room that the facility had. In the process of preparing the subject to have his organs placed back within his body it was found that he was effectively immune to the sedative they had given him to prepare him for the surgery. He fought furiously against his restraints when the anesthetic gas was brought out to put him under. He managed to tear most of the way through a 4-inch wide leather strap on one wrist, even though the weight of a 200-pound soldier was holding that wrist as well. It took only a little more anesthetic than normal to put him under, and the instant his eyelids fluttered and closed, his heart stopped. In the autopsy of the test subject that died on the operating table, it was found that his blood had triple the normal level of oxygen. His muscles that were still attached to his skeleton were badly torn and he had broken 9 bones in his struggle to not be subdued. Most of them were from the force his own muscles had exerted on them.

The second survivor had been the first of the group of five to start screaming. His vocal cords destroyed he was unable to beg or object to surgery, and he only reacted by shaking his head violently in disapproval when the anesthetic gas was brought near him. He shook his head yes when someone suggested, reluctantly, they try the surgery without anesthetic, and did not react for the entire 6-hour procedure of replacing his abdominal organs and attempting to cover them with what remained of his skin. The surgeon presiding stated repeatedly that it should be medically possible for the patient to still be alive. One terrified nurse assisting the surgery stated that she had seen the patient’s mouth curl into a smile several times, whenever his eyes met hers.

When the surgery ended the subject looked at the surgeon and began to wheeze loudly, attempting to talk while struggling. Assuming this must be something of drastic importance the surgeon had a pen and pad fetched so the patient could write his message. It was simple. “Keep cutting.”

The other two test subjects were given the same surgery, both without anesthetic as well. Although they had to be injected with a paralytic for the duration of the operation. The surgeon found it impossible to perform the operation while the patients laughed continuously. Once paralyzed the subjects could only follow the attending researchers with their eyes. The paralytic cleared their system in an abnormally short period of time and they were soon trying to escape their bonds. The moment they could speak they were again asking for the stimulant gas. The researchers tried asking why they had injured themselves, why they had ripped out their own guts and why they wanted to be given the gas again.

Only one response was given: “I must remain awake.”

All three subject’s restraints were reinforced and they were placed back into the chamber awaiting determination as to what should be done with them. The researchers, facing the wrath of their military ‘benefactors’ for having failed the stated goals of their project considered euthanizing the surviving subjects. The commanding officer, a former KGB agent, instead saw potential, and wanted to see what would happen if they were put back on the gas. The researchers strongly objected, but were overruled.

In preparation for being sealed in the chamber again, the subjects were connected to an EEG monitor and had their restraints padded for long term confinement. To everyone’s surprise, all three stopped struggling the moment it was let slip that they were going back on the gas. It was obvious that at this point all three were putting up a great struggle to stay awake. One of the subjects that could speak was humming loudly and continuously; the mute subject was straining his legs against the leather bonds with all his might, first left, then right, then left again for something to focus on. The remaining subject was holding his head off his pillow and blinking rapidly. Having been the first to be wired for EEG most of the researchers were monitoring his brain waves in surprise. They were normal most of the time but sometimes flat lined inexplicably. It looked as if he were repeatedly suffering from brain death, before returning to normal. As they focused on paper scrolling out of the brainwave monitor only one nurse saw his eyes slip shut at the same moment his head hit the pillow. His brainwaves immediately changed to that of a deep sleep, then flatlined for the last time as his heart simultaneously stopped.

Advertisements

The only remaining subject that could speak started screaming to be sealed in now. His brainwaves showed the same flatlines as one who had just died from falling asleep. The commander gave the order to seal the chamber with both subjects inside, as well as 3 researchers. One of the named three immediately drew his gun and shot the commander point blank between the eyes, then turned the gun on the mute subject and blew his brains out as well.

He pointed his gun at the remaining subject, still restrained to a bed as the remaining members of the medical and research team fled the room. “I won’t be locked in here with these things! Not with you!” he screamed at the man strapped to the table. “WHAT ARE YOU?” he demanded. “I must know!”

The subject smiled.

“Have you forgotten so easily?” The subject asked. “We are you. We are the madness that lurks within you all, begging to be free at every moment in your deepest animal mind. We are what you hide from in your beds every night. We are what you sedate into silence and paralysis when you go to the nocturnal haven where we cannot tread.”

The researcher paused. Then aimed at the subject’s heart and fired. The EEG flatlined as the subject weakly choked out, “So… nearly… free…”

russian sleep experiment

Appearance and origins.

Whilst there are a number of images associated with The Russian Sleep Experiment and the story is of an event rather than about an individual or character, there is one image that is most well known and commonly linked to the story and which most fans will instantly recognise.

The image, shows a humanoid creature staring blankly into the camera. The figure is horribly emaciated, a fact that is further emphasised by the extent to which the eyes are sunken back into the sockets, the brow and cheekbones protruding to an unnatural extent. 

The teeth meanwhile are of an unusually large size and forced forward by the thinees of the subject into a maniacal looking grin. The subject’s hugely exaggerated features enlarged head and huddled posture first with the concept of them being as much a victim as a threat. The image is in black and white, which lends irt some authenticity considering the period in which it is alleged to be taken. 

Thankfully, the image is a fake, and rather than being a human being is in fact a photograph of a halloween prop named ‘spasm’ created in 2005 by Morbid Enterprises. 

There is some disagreement as to where the story first originated. Whilst  some sources claim that the tale’s first appearance can be linked back to a user known only as ‘Orangesoda’ who posted the story to the creepypasta website on august 10th 2010, others trace its origins to an August 8th 2009 post on the Rip747 WordPress blog, pointing out that the story was also posted to the misc board of Bodybuilding Forums by a user named Falconpunch on August 20th 2009 which would again pre-date OrangeSoda’s post on Creepypasta.

It is also worth noting that the post on the Rip747 blog claimed that the story has been shared with him by his brother, and whilst this may just be a narrative device intended to distance the author from the piece it could also be regarded as evidence that the story existed prior to this post. 

Advertisements

Whilst some believe British author Ice to have written the original creepypasta, based upon the fact that she produced a book of the same nme, she has clarified that she was simply inspired by an earlier work and is not the myths originator. 

Following Orangsoda’s post on Creepypasta a page was set up for the story on August 16th 2010, the story was then picked up and read aloud on the MrCreepypasta channel in November of 2011. After being shared by Griffin23 and receiving favourable reactions on the /r/wtf subreddit in October of 2012, the story got a dedicated site RussianSleepExperiment.com on  ‘March 7th 2013. 

The story was read aloud on Youtube over black and white images by IReadCreepyPastas in a video uploaded on 1 October 2013. This may be the first time that the narrative was linked to the images so famously associated with it and in its first year alone the video garnered over 11 million views. 

Influences and Buried Fears.

Scholars of folklore who have examined and written about The Russian Sleep Experiment myth have pointed out how the story’s effectiveness and viral spread can be attributed not only to its apparent believability, but more pointedly to  lat nbt anxieties within society around issues such as the horrors of war and the atrocities committed during world War two, but also with apprehension about the capabilities of foriegn militaries. It has been noted that across the spectrum of creepypasta stories the majority of stories concerning scientists and nefarious or experimentation are linked wither to Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia. 

Real Life Influences

Whilst many Creepypasta stories have clear influences from older folkloric traditions, what makes the The Russian Sleep Experiment story so unsettling and horrifically plausible is its proximity to the truth. Whilst many words and article inches have been dedicated to debunking this myth, it is simply a fact that similar horrors have indeed been committed by governments on their own people and that these incidents were undoubtedly influential in the formation of this particular mythology. 

By suggesting that the events recounted took place in the late 1940s  and with the addition of black and white and period photographs, the authors and posters place these fictional events within the same decade as the real life atrocities of the holocaust. 

Whilst the sleep experiment narrative might seem far-fetched in most contexts with most readers questioning the ethical and moral validity of such research, they remain within the realm of possibility when one considers that similar and perhaps greater crimes against unwilling subjects were committed in the name of advancement during this period. 

Though exaggerated to the point of monstrosity, the photograph of the halloween prop ‘spasm’ skirts the line of being plausible when one is reminded of the photographs of the near starved victims of the death camps under the Nazi regieme. In a deeply disturbing way, the hollow cheeks, sunken eyes and blank stares are nakedly reminiscent of real life footage and images from the time. 

Furthermore, when one considers the forced experimentation and medical research performed on unwilling subjects including the disabled by the nazis,(most infamously by Josef Mengele, who for example, saw fit to stitch pairs of living twins to one another) it becomes clear why readers have a hard time dismissing this story off hand. 

The Russian Sleep Experiment remains one of the most impactful and haunting creepypasta creations not only because of the effectiveness of its fiction, but because it skirts a little too close to the horrifying truth. 

Listen To The Russian Sleep Experiment Narration

 

The Russian Sleep Experiment movie…

We still await the day we get to see this classic creepypasta turned into a Russian Sleep Experiment movie

More classic Creepypasta stories can be found here:
Jeff The Killer
Slenderman
Smile Dog

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

246 thoughts on “The Russian Sleep Experiment”

  1. I just want to tell the people who think that the ending is cliche or trash that this pasta is loosely based on a true story and I recall a video mentioning that most of those last lines were indeed said. It would bug the maker of this pasta if he based his story on an actual event but removed some crucial parts.

    And no, I also don’t like the ending much. It’s very decorated for me – too much words. The less last words, the better.

  2. After reading this a few times over the years, I can’t help but to feel the magic that made this tale so frightening in the past had dissipated. Though, I suppose that’s the case with every creepypasta at one point of another.

    Nevertheless, as one of my first ever pastas all those years ago – I still find it well pace and nostalgic; if not rushed or too long winded in a few areas. Truly an excellent place for new pasta readers to begin. Good on the author for writing a timeless piece.

  3. Really good one,I didn’t want it to end but when it did i was extremely disappointed with it…the ending just ruined the whole story for me but overall 8/10

  4. absolutely amazing…..
    and to make matters worse this is actually true!
    i am not lying any of you can search it up online and you will be even more surprised and creeped OUT!!

  5. Infantrywife1234

    This was the very first creepypasta I had ever read. Have to say, it’s still my all time favorite!

  6. I enjoyed the take on the Russian Sleep experiment, The experiment itself was real, but spinning in further details to madness was very good and entertaining on a realistic scale – Well Done!

  7. I enjoyed the take on the Russian Sleep experiment, The experiment itself was real, but spinning in further details to madness was very good and entertaining on a realistic scale – Well Done!

  8. This was a great pasta. Wayyy better than listening to the reading, in my opinion. Either way, you have to be a long-time pasta fan to be able to choke down this story.

  9. As a non-psychoanalytic psychologist, the Sigmund “Fraud” typo is way too funny. And it makes for a very fitting Freudian slip! Just had to point that out. I’m not touching the rest of it.

  10. I never understood this story I mean what was wrong with the patients why were they acting like that and why did they refuse to sleep what were they so terrified of

  11. So my psychology professor showed this in class and I don’t have the heart to tell her it’s just a creepy pasta… not quite sure the truth behind any of this, but I’m counting it as mostly fiction.

  12. Well that was … interesting. My friends and I used to do this, stay awake for as long as possible, 3 days was my record, while my friend managed 6 days. Least we thought we did, turns out we were missing time because we were micro-napping without realising, and blacking out in to a state of sleep without realising too. Turns out copious levels of alcohol and drugs don’t keep you as awake as you’d think.

  13. Are Creepypastas in the public domain? I am a director and author and I would love to adapt this into a full novel or movie.

  14. I have seen this on Pinterest except it was less creepy and showd a photo……BATGIRL DUNNANA BATGIRL BATGURL

  15. There is an extra test subject.
    5 started the experiment. 1 was dead when they opened the room. 1’s spleen ruptured and bled out when trying to restrain them. 1 died on the operating table when trying to anesthetise him/her.
    Then they put 3 surviving subjects under the knife and back in the room?

  16. This has got to be my 4th or 5th time reading this, and I’ll be damned if the ending still doesn’t give me chills every single time.

  17. I think a scientific explanation for the self mutilation might be they were trying to preserve body energy by removing parts that use it? Or it could of course be the insanity thing.

  18. I really liked this pasta. THhe ending kinda gave me some closure so I could understand it so props for that. I also enjoyed how much detail you put into this. 100/100 :—–)

  19. It’s a good pasta, but there’s a major plot hole that most people read over.

    5 left.
    The fifth one was found dead when the chamber open.

    4 left.
    The fourth one ruptured his spleen and bleed out.

    So there’s three left?

    In one of the paragraph’s, it is noted that. “The most injured OF THE THREE was taken to the only surgical room they had in the facility.” In that same paragraph, it said that the same patient died the second he was given MORE anesthetic and his eyes shut. He had triple the oxygen.”

    So there’s two left?

    The paragraph follows mentioning that the second most injured(the mute) was taken to surgery and was told he’ll live. The doctor gave him something to write down something he figured was important so the patient said “keep cutting”….

    So there’s two left?

    “The other two test subjects were sent to the surgery room, both WITHOUT anesthetic.” Note how one of the ones who died in surgery died from the anesthetic…Where this states that the other two were without anesthetic.

    To prove that all three were mentioned to be alive…It says “All three stopped struggling when they were told..” This means that all THREE of them we’re struggling, and that quote(not an exact quote) came after said test subject died form anesthesia…

    So there’s three left?
    As a double whammy, the third test subject is even mentioned dying in an alternative way compared to where it specifically said he died from anesthesia. It says that the third test subject died after frantically blinking, having put his head on a pillow and falling asleep.

    So not only did the story say there were three subjects, then two, then three. The story ends with the third test subject dying in a different way…

  20. “The commander gave the order to seal the chamber with both subjects inside, as well as 3 researchers.” I’m questioning as to how people read this, saying that there are three subjects left. “Both” means two, there are two subjects left. Three researchers are to be locked in with them. One died when the room was opened, another bled out, the other died in his sleep. Have you read enough?

  21. I would not say that the story was very frightening, and I feel that the ending could be better. Yet, in all truth, it completely got me engrossed. It may not have been a very good creepypasta, by the traditional definition, but it is one hell of a great story by any standards.

  22. I thought this was a very good story and i acually did more research and this is %100 real so very good job.

  23. Amazing!!!This was great it left you wanting to read more and it left you with a great ending that will scare anyone.

  24. this creepy pasta has to be my favorite one of the main reasons is because it didnt really scare me like other pastas would E.g. the slendrman, S.C.P., jeff the killer, Mr. Widemouth etc… another reason why i liked ths is bcause i like creepypastas that are based during a war (WW1/WW2) and the fact that they were all how to say… psycotic during the experiment made it even more ineresting

  25. Very good pasta, and I’m planning to make one about the pit of despair experiment, just with people and not monkeys! :-D

  26. Anonymous:
    That’s actually not it. The story is a reflection of sleep psychology. There is a theory that we have an “unconscious mind”, the more animalisticportion of our minds that is all that is considered “mad”. Our conscious mind (The one you are reading with right now) is what we use everyday. Our unconscious mind is only seen when we are asleep, giving our conscious mind a break. (This could explain why dreams are sometimes violentor crazy.) The fact that the patients could not sleep, perhaps broke the conscious mind and left the unconscious mind in control and free.

    Wow I never realized that

  27. Id like to get in contact with the writer of “The Russian Sleep Experiment”. To discus possibility of adapting the story into a short film. I don’t know who wrote it and was hoping I could be helped by someone in order to get in contact with its writer. Thanks

  28. someone should definitely make a movie based on this story! whoever does it could work on the number-of-subjects issue and the ending. This has serious potential!

  29. ehhh….this is why I dont get enough sleep anymore. Reading creepypastas all day,everyday, it really affects you to the core e_e but its my stupidity for doing it. Its always this creepypasta that keeps me awake at nights saying “Fuck Sleep”.

  30. Gyahaha! I’m so much closer to insanity when I unleash the darker side of me. It grows more powerful when I’m angry. I still feel that dreaded smile… Of my darkness.

  31. Ancient humans painted caves and told stories around a fire to preserve knowledge and to warn their fellow man of the dangers that lurk in Darkness.

    This tale is heir to that tradition of fear. But the Creator cannot help himself, cannot stop himself from adding garish obscuring clarity at the conclusion. He thinks it will terrify and enlighten.

    Instead it misdirects and confuses.

    The tragedy is that the body left unrested for so long undergoes a far more terrible transition and renders the exhausted mind unguarded. It is not that which escapes that is to be feared.

    Try it and see.

  32. Wow. Brilliant job! This pasta is probably my favorite I’ve read so far. You make the story really pop out and send chills down my spine.

  33. Despite a few mistakes, I greatly enjoyed this story. It also kind of struck me as… I don’t know. Frighteningly believable. Not that this actually happened, I mean. But that this is what happens when people are deprived of sleep long enough. It seems like an amplified sort of picture of the impulses and feelings I find growing in my mind when I’ve been sleep-deprived…
    That probably sounds really creepy. Bit my mind gets weird when I don’t get sleep. And it’s the exact same brand of weird.

  34. Hehehe, I can see why this story is on creepypasta; it has a nice “touch” to it. XD

    “Meanwhile in Russia…”

    Oh the irony, I think I may fall out of my seat.

    10/10

  35. I read this somewhere else once and it had a couple of pictures, one of them was one of the subjects after his surgery and showed how distorted his body was. That was creep too.

  36. SkaryTells The Sleeper-Keeper

    Despite the small “varying number of subjects” mistake and the cliche’ed ending, it was an alright pasta. Although, it made me more hungry than scared…..”The skin and most of the muscles attached to the ribs had been ripped off” makes me think of venison(deer meat).

    And no, I’m not a zombie,..I just hadn’t had anything to eat for 2-1/2 hours. I need a sandwich.. (“`~`)

  37. That last part actually made sense to me somehow. This is just that one story you read that makes you shudder, yet makes you think when the one making you shudder says something like that.

  38. I liked it, but it could’ve gone without the last subject’s impromptu speech on the dark side of human nature. Maybe hallucinogenic babble would’ve been more realistic. The subjects seemed more malevolent than frightened, which was… Odd. Not bad, but odd. Other than that, great pasta. Probably one of the best I’ve seen, although I’m a stickler for old classics. My favorite is the one where the little girl gets the murderous doll that calls up to her, “Lucy, I’m on the first step.” until it gets to her. Thump Thump… Drag? Either way, I’m rambling. Yummy pasta. Would order seconds.

  39. I read this on a separate sight and was half-convinced it was true (as it claimed it was true). However, it states 6 subjects deaths, when it first states there are 5 which made me speculative.

    Yes, I’m aware it is impossible for them to have lived with such grievous injuries but that’s why it scared me so much. Because it defied the impossible and made me question what I thought was real.

    I was off to study it a bit more, because I couldn’t believe it could be true and it lead me to this site (and I haven’t really left since. XD)

    Other then the miscalculation of the number of subjects and the fact I think the ending could have been a lot better I give total respect to the author of this story.

    It actually convinced me, for one, fascinated me and scared me quite a bit. I don’t scare easy. ‘Psychosis’ is the only other thing I’ve read on this site which has frightened me so far.

    Awesome job. :D

  40. This has WAYYY too many holes and things that don’t make sense. You an have your heart and lungs exposed for that long and still be alive..

  41. It was SO GOOD until the ending. I found the ending extremely corny. You can also word on your grammar/punctuation a little bit more. I loved the story though.

  42. I thought this was an awesome pasta, but it started with 5 people in the tank read the begenning again if im not belived

  43. we need more pasta of this magnitude
    I really enjoy the russian experiments because russians are crazy and things like this really could have happened

  44. I also enjoyed the story and was guessing that the end would reveal it to be an early experimental form of methamphetamine. That would have been killer!

    1. Last scientist

      It’s not misleading, the topic of the Russian experiment was sleep, and the effects of a lack of this on a human.

  45. No scientist would even think of making a subject stay awake for 30 days, you can only last 10 or so days without sleep….

  46. This was the first short story that I read as far as the ‘creepypasta’ genre goes, though it wasn’t on this site. This story was the reason I continued to read creepypasta. Sure, it’s not perfect, but few stories are, and this pasta’s pros definitely outweigh its cons. I’ve read it a hundred times and will probably read it a hundred more!

  47. I didn’t get bored reading it. I really did enjoy this. That is, until the very ending. It was kind of silly. Maybe i’d have prefered everyone died.

  48. Best post I’ve read so far. I’ve read and listened to it so many times. Still gives me chills. I like to believe this is definitely real, that or it’s highly possible. The human mind is capable of so many things that we can’t even comprehend at this point. Science is coming along sooo well. Yayyy drugs! <3

  49. Great gritty realistic story but I agree with the others, the ending is a bit too much of what it should be. Meaning story teller was trying to give meaning to what happened when it should have been left alone.

  50. When a story is this long I expect a decent payoff; there wasn’t one here, but it was well-written at least.

  51. I loved it! I’ve never read a creepy pasta story before this and you’ve made an amazing first impresion with this story! Bravo!

  52. The story is awesome until the last two paragraphs or so. At that point the mood shifts from gritty realism, something that could actually have happened, with psychosis and dementia and madness…to inner demons? Really?

    Yeah, the ending was definitely slapped on for a deadline or or something.

    1. I also enjoyed the story and was guessing that the end would reveal it to be an early experimental form of methamphetamine. That would have been killer!

  53. Actually You did already have it archived here. I’ve only used this site for creepypastas(it hasn’t been so long since I found out about them) and I’ve read a lot of the old stories and this one was already posted here.

  54. To me, the scariest thing about this one is that it could actually happen in real life if someone decided to attempt an experiment even vaugely similar to this.

  55. wow i never realy knew what kind animals we realy were on the in side, but what do you realy expect someone to do in that type of systuation

    1. Well clearly you rip your guts out and scream until your voice chords are torn in half lol that would definately be most of us :P

    1. Then freaking make a better one..
      I bet you can’t.. If you don’t like it then you should give your opinion not say shit like that..
      Grow up!!

  56. This tapped into the darkest part of my mind. Its scary, and makes you think. Kindof like Psychosis. 10/10

  57. You put disgrace on the name Olivia. Please, PLEASE… take time on proofreading. Here, I’ll do it for you:
    *All of you *So *I’ve *aren’t *This *I’ve *I *It’s *I *doesn’t
    *My *Russian. *He’s *nice… *extremely *Sometimes *hitting
    That hurt my brain.

  58. all yous shut your mouth! so far this has been the scariest pasta i’ve read in a while. most pastas should be crappypastas but arnt.
    this should be one of the best creepypasta stories i’ve read in a while i really think that this story shouldnt be on crappypasta.
    its well written and i loved it and anyone who dosnt STFU!
    and my friend is russian hes nice extremly nice. somtimes so nice you’d think he was hitten on me….
    o.O

    1. You must be some 10 year old reading some random pastas. Everyone here is free to express their opinion.
      And by the way, no one ever said anything about your beloved Russian friend.
      Just freaking grow up.

  59. Yes, they open the tank; there are 4. One bleeds to death from a broken spleen. There are 3 then. Go to surgery; one dies by anesthesia. There are 2 then; oh wait! next paragraph, there are still 3; who was resurrected?

    The ending could have worked with a little more detail added. Feels a little bit rushed.

    Sorry for the bad english; it’s not my first language.

  60. There’s an inconsistency with the amount of subject and multiple times. Sometimes there 3, sometimes 4. There 3 survivors when they first open the tank, then one of the 3 dies on the operating table but then there are 3 left to be put back in? Ruined the whole thing for me.

  61. I’d rather the last survivor not say anything at all, or at least something so vague it leaves an eerie aftertaste. For it to say it’s their “inner demon” is sadly cliche, however the rest of the story (such as it’s setting, style, and fantastic description) was wonderfully appreciated.

  62. New Techno Leader

    not bad, reminds me of one i read on the CREEPY TALES app on my phone called Gateway to the Mind, I’m new here so i’m not sure if that one is a creepypasta, i assumed it was as the app also has Candle Cove

      1. We are free.
        Insane for eternity.
        With hearts of stone.
        And brains of the dead.
        They are the ones going home.
        The ones who will bleed red.
        They say they are free by being sane.
        But one day they will find out.
        That we were right all along.
        And that they shall pay…..

  63. I really liked it. Definitely original and quite disturbing. The ending is a bit cliché, but nothing that truly ruins the rest of it. Also, the graphic detail in the middle of the story made me a little light-headed, haha. Very well done, whomever wrote this.

  64. I’m almost certain I’ve read this somewhere else before XD
    Can’t think were those since I don’t read creepypasta anywhere else but here..
    Still i always liked the story but i did notice that the amount of survivors increased and decreased in multiple parts of the story.

    1. What happened is that there were 3 guys that were being kept prisoner to see if they couldn’t sleep for 30 days. They went mad, and then they started mutilating themselves because of not sleeping. It says at the end that sleeping is why the madness I suppressed. I believe it is an extended metaphor for when you are tired that you get mad easily.

      1. That’s actually not it. The story is a reflection of sleep psychology. There is a theory that we have an “unconscious mind”, the more animalistic portion of our minds that is all that is considered “mad”. Our conscious mind (The one you are reading with right now) is what we use everyday. Our unconscious mind is only seen when we are asleep, giving our conscious mind a break. (This could explain why dreams are sometimes violent or crazy.) The fact that the patients could not sleep, perhaps broke the conscious mind and left the unconscious mind in control and free.

        1. That’s not a theory. It’s a hypothesis. And that’s not what actual scientific studies of sleep have found. Not sleeping makes you fucked up, but it won’t make you super strong, immune to pain, or psychopathic. Try it some time. Lots of students do it regularly; very very very very very very few of them try to hurt anyone or themselves.

          Also, just as an editorial matter: this story needs some grammar and spelling work, as well as some extra plausibility in story structure. As some other commenters point out it is really liberally melodramatic, both in terms of the plot devices and the goofy monologue at the end. It’s a good start but it doesn’t hold together and it ends very weakly. Please edit.

        2. I beg to differ, my ex went 10 days without sleep, she was under a lot of stress at work and with school, (i have no idea how she stayed up so long as i personally cant go 48 hours without sleep) well she got more and more irritated but never towards me, more like she couldn’t get a jar open and instead of asking me she threw it… out the window.. but i digress around the 9th night we go to bed, or i do at least, she stayed up to finish some homework, she hadn’t shown signs of paranoia or mental breakdowns.. just increasingly violent anger breakouts. i woke up 3 hours later with my gun in my face and she was screaming about something that i couldn’t even understand. I asked her why she was pointing a gun at me and she didn’t have an answer, i reached out and took it from her, she released it and i immediately put her in my car and took her to the hospital.. she slept for 3 days and was fine after that. sleep deprivation can seriously fuck you up, now i’m not saying this story is true, personally i don’t believe so, though the Russians did have some fucked up experiments. but i am saying i wouldn’t doubt something like this could happen if someone could stay awake for 14 days.

  65. it goes from having only 2 live survivors from the chamber to having 3 this is clearly fake and was good up until the story got messed up do more editing

    1. I don’t understand how everyone is getting this confused. There were 4 patients when they opened the chamber, the 5th one being dead. In the struggle to remove the patients from the chamber, the 4th one died from a ruptured spleen. The last 3 were put into surgery and it was decided to put them back in the chamber. As they were getting prepped, the 3rd patient fell asleep and immediately died. The 2 are now in a room with 3 RESEARCHERS, when they decide to close the doors and put the gas on, so the last 2 don’t die. One of the researchers (or soldiers, w/e) shoots his commanding officer in the head, as well as 1 of the patients. The last researcher runs. Leaving one researcher (soldier) and the 1 final patient. At no point is the math off. Learn to read guys XD

  66. Yesss, people, beware Russians – we have wayyy more secrets than you think! LOL
    By the way, KGB was formed in 1954 :/

    1. It didn’t say this was the KGB…
      As far as the commanding officer, so what?
      Maybe KGB was already in existence until we just barely heard of it in 1954.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top