Advertisement
Please wait...

The Music Box



Estimated reading time — < 1 minute

You know how it goes.

When you were a child, your favourite thing was your music box. It would play a soothing yet haunting melody that lulled you to sleep, or provided background noise for playtime.

You had it for years. You loved it, cherished it. You brought it everywhere. Kept it safe. It was your comfort item, one you were proud to show, unlike Billy’s baby blanket.

Your music box kept you safe.

Or so you thought.

Each night you would play it, falling asleep to its haunting tune. But what you didn’t know was that it was always there, poking and prodding at the edge of your consciousness. It controlled your dreams, made you think that the nightmares only came when there was no melody breaking the stifling silence.

No, you didn’t have nightmares with your music box.

It was the nightmare.

It fed off your happiness, your calmness. Oh, now you’re just noticing that you never had to change the battery. It wasn’t an inanimate object. No, it was a living, malevolent creature, waiting.

Advertisements

Waiting.

It’s waiting for that one moment, that one slip up in reality.

It’s waiting for you to screw up, to forget.

Your precious music box will become part of you. You will forget it. You will not remember.

Advertisements

It will control you.

And the only part left will be a faint melody, one that reminds you of your younger, innocent days. What you won’t realize, is that it was it slipping up.

Fight it. Remember. Don’t forget.

Or you will become one of them.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

40 thoughts on “The Music Box”

  1. LOL, what? “Or you will become one of them.” WTF?? xD

    You don’t have to “change the battery” on a wind up music box. This is incredibly stupid. No plot. Nothing to fear. Just apparently “becoming a music box”.

  2. ehhhhhh. My mom told me i had a music box when i was little. But i really dont remember it or what it looks like or anything! im scared ;-;

  3. TheManleyMaster

    Guys, the pasta isn’t about becoming a music box, its becoming an adult. You forget your lovely childhood you will become a boring adult “monster”. The music box is a metaphor for childhood and all the things that happen in it.

  4. I have once got a music box after an accident i hid it i have forgot where i hid it after 3 years i have found it and the ballerina inside of it was not the same it was red her eyes was black no nothing at that day i played the melodyof it in a piano…. after i played it i saw the ballerina moving…. after that i remembered my place on my past even now… the memories are still haunting memories (even though im using xbox) when i play myxbox the memories are haunting me

  5. AmyCannotWrite

    I didn’t expect to like this since the rating was somewhat low, but it actually got to me. Of course, that’s probably because I actually did have a music box as a child and it was one of my favorite things. Still, I agree with some of the commentors – this might be hard for this generation to relate to: maybe you could have done something more general, about all the others things people can’t sleep without. I know a lot of people who can’t sleep without the TV or radio on, and I’m pretty sure you could make something creepy out of that. Still, I did like this pasta.

  6. I once had a music box… It was a ballerina and would dance and move her arms around. I smashed it with a brick. IM A FUCKING BOY MOM!

  7. DragonFirestone

    I actually have a clown-shaped music box, and sometimes, it does randomly play in the middle of the night… DEMON GOODWILL
    *plays song The Clowns Are Coming* LJ: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

  8. DragonFirestone

    I liked this story~! I know that most people don’t get it, but I think I understand. That melody that not only haunts childhoods, but that still seeps through the past, from the generation that still plays its lulling music. It beckons us back to the past, angry with the way we’ve become. If you slip back into the past, if you let it take you from your own modern mind, you’ll become one of them. THEY are the forgotten people, ideas, and events that history has overlooked. They refused to follow society, so society left them behind. The melody isn’t what you should fear: Society is the REAL enemy… (BECOME A HIPSTER :P)

  9. *stares at music box* *it starts playing* O_O holy…*smashes with a baseball bat* *it stops playing and starts screaming and a furby pops out* error…error….

    (I give this a 10/10 I with it ^-^)

  10. You don’t become a music box… you become a hollow… a creature with no emotions… no soul… also known as a phycopath

  11. Princess Sapphire

    The closest thing I have to a music box is one of the those snow globes that play music… And it’s wind up. And become what?

  12. …ok could of used a bit more creepy touch. it just kinda seemed like a:PPFFF HAHAHA THATS SO RETARDED!!!.just opinion. -Carnage

  13. I didnt like this pasta. The second person pov was annoying. Not many people in last or this generation use a music box anymore. And what will we be? The music box? 4/10

  14. TheGingerBreadMan

    very good turning something good into something bad its so marvelous evil in a good way haha but alas it wasn’t that creepy no cills no nothing but a 5/10 for a good idea use this if creepier stories and put it in full pastas

  15. AND THEN JOHN WAS THE MUSIC BOX!

    Music boxes aren’t comforting – they’re nightmarish little devices that stay silent for months until something gives internally and they start to play for no reason.

    Then you smash them with a brick.

    1. So like old Furbies that we thought the batteries had died in years ago?

      *screeches in the middle of the night and won’t shut up*

    1. It was probably a refrence to when kids were actually real people. Rather than an epidemic of obease, self-entitled heathens, that are called children today.

      Because a Little hint, NOT ALL kids use xbox’s. Some kids still use their imaginations and play outside.

        1. Amish. And btw, I’m a grown ass adult and my favorite thing is my Xbox. So there. Statistically the average gamer is around 30-35 years old.

  16. This wasn’t bad, it was just kind of confusing. I’m not sure what you mean by becoming one of them. One of what? The living music box?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top