Advertisement
Please wait...

The Mail Man



Estimated reading time — 6 minutes

It all started as a message in my mailbox one morning. Having my morning coffee and cigarette, I decided to walk out to the mailbox and check my mail. I had bought this house from an auction for a very low price. It was out in the quiet country. I, being a city kid, had no idea what country life was like until I had made a few friends around the area. With the purchase of the house came 100 acres of crop land that, in the autumn, blossomed into golden produce that swayed beautifully in the wind.

I put on my shoes and headed out to the road, still slightly groggy. Upon opening the mailbox, I found a dead bird inside; at first, I thought it was some stupid kids playing pranks again – last week, they decided to toilet paper my lawn. I pulled the dead bird out and threw it on the ground; it was mangled to a pulp, almost as if a dog had gotten ahold of it.

Besides the bird, there was nothing inside of the mailbox. I started to think that maybe the kids had stolen my mail, but eventually I brushed it off and told myself I’d get up early in the morning and watch the mail come so I could catch the jerks in the act. The next morning arrived and the mailman came as usual. I walked out and got my mail, not thinking anything of it. The next morning was the same.

Advertisements

The next week came and I walked out to get my mail once again. This time, I was horrified at the sight; my white mailbox had blood smeared all over it. I opened the mailbox cautiously. Inside was a mangled cat. I gasped and covered my mouth, quickly choking back the vomit raising to my throat. I rushed to my garage, put on a pair of gloves, and pulled the poor animal out. Stapled to it was a note, fairly legible, but crude nonetheless. On the note was a simple smiley face. I was disgusted at that; whoever did it thought it was funny. I gave the cat a proper burial and continued with my day. The next morning, I woke up around 5:00 AM, walked out, and checked my mailbox again to see if it had been tampered with. The cat I had just buried in my backyard was stuffed inside yet again, this time another note attached to it. This one had a frowning face and under it, which read “You don’t like my present?”

Pissed off and finally fed up, I decided to bury it yet again and to stay up all night to watch my mailbox to find out who was doing this. The time rolled by – 12:00 am, 1:00 am, 2:00 am, nothing at all….then, at 3:00 am, I finally saw movement across the road, and out of the cornfield there came a figure into my yard. I watched it until it finally came under the security light I have in the middle of my yard. What I saw, I cannot begin to explain. It was a man…or at least I think it was. It was hunched over like an old man with long gangly arms that went farther than the average human, and its head bent downwards as if it was looking for something it had dropped on the ground.

The man, or rather thing, looked frail and weak, but it moved with great speed. I quickly and quietly moved to the back window and peered out as I saw it dig up the cat once again and hold it in its arms. It stroked the cat as if it were alive and quickly hurried around to the front of my house. I scurried back to the front window again and watched as it made its way to my mailbox, and once more put the cat inside, before disappearing into the darkness. That day I didn’t leave my house; I was too shocked of what happened. I slept a bit then decided to take a trip to the store; when I came back, I checked the mailbox again and there it was, the same cat I just buried. I went to take the dead cat out of my mailbox once again and bury it in a different spot, then decided to stay up again that night so as to see what happened.

With a flashlight in hand, I watched out of my front window and saw the long, spindly man come out of the field and jog into my yard, to the spot where I just buried the cat that day and started to dig it up with his hands. I slid open the sliding glass door and stepped outside, turning on the flashlight. I aimed it at the man, and yelled “What the heck are you doing?!” The man turned around to face me, and that’s when I saw the thing for the first time, in plain sight. Its body looked like it had been mauled by a bear, its clothes ripped, rotting skin showing through, its teeth completely exposed and jagged, and the eyes sunken in. I quickly ran back inside as it gave a shrieking
sound and hopped over in my direction.

I slid the glass door shut and locked it, and grabbed the pistol I had bought for self-defense from under my couch. Loading a bullet into the chamber, I shined the light at the door and waited. A glob of something hid the glass door, and I instinctively shot a bullet, which found its mark inside of my wall. I walked to the glass door and shined the light down to see what it was: a mess of entrails were scattered across the bottom and blood smeared across the glass. Sick to my stomach, I choked back the vomit that was rising from my stomach.

I quickly rushed back to the couch that was against the wall and sat there with my eyes fixed upon the glass door, my flashlight off. Outside, I could see the moonlight through the gruesome mess that was plastered upon the glass. I saw a figure approach the door, and stared in awe as its hands smeared the blood across the window. I was frozen with fear, waiting for it to break the glass and try to take my life from me.

Advertisements
Advertisements

After smearing the blood, it turned around and walked away. I swear I could hear a faint chuckle, like a smoker’s lungs laugh, but in a way that emphasized the rasp of deteriorating breaths. I sat in the sofa and didn’t budge; I don’t know how long I waited, but after a while the room became light as the sun rose in the sky. I looked around the house – everything was so quiet – then fixed my eyes on the glass door. Smeared across it were hand prints with unusually long fingers and a smiley, the same one on the letter. I sighed and tried to make myself comfortable, laying down and resting my eyes, but still remaining as alert as possible. A few hours later, I awoke from a nightmare and propped myself up on the couch.

After a short while, I got up and prepared to clean away the aftermath of last night’s encounter. I was, apparently, pissing whatever it was off, and I was getting more scared by the second just thinking of whatever was out there, lurking. I cleaned the entrails off the ground and went out to check my mail, then I came across a plain letter. Curious, I opened it up and felt a chill shoot up my spine.

The letter had no words – only a smile, the same, crude smile that was on the letter stapled to the cat and on my sliding glass door.

Advertisements

I quickly crumbled it up and tossed it on the ground. I left that night; I went to stay with my parents up in the city for a few weeks. Not explaining my situation to them, I simply told them that I had been sick of country life and needed a change for a few weeks. They happily let me in. When I returned to my home three weeks later, horror was stricken across my face, for my house was not as I left it. As soon as I walked in, the stench of rotting carcass hit my nostrils and I vomited on the floor. Covering my nose with my shirt, I proceeded to the light switch.

Turning on the light made me shriek in terror. Scattered throughout my house were entrails and carcasses of dead animals; some were propped up like humans on my couch, and all were staring at me as I stood, horrified, in the doorway. All over the white walls were smiley faces and the same writing over and over, “I’m very angry with you,” written in blood. I lifted up the couch seat to look for my pistol, but it was gone.
Just then, I saw something in the hallway moving steadily back and forth. Flipping on the hall light, there it was again: the creature who had tried to kill me the night before I had left. It snapped its gaze to me and moved its mouth into a sickening smile. It jumped up and started to walk in my direction. I quickly turned around and ran outside, slamming the door behind me. I got into my car, started it up, and proceeded to back out of the driveway and onto the road as fast as I could. Behind me, I saw a figure in my rear-view mirror running up to my car; its arms slammed into the trunk and it proceeded to hop onto the roof of my car.

I shifted into drive and slammed on the gas. I drove all night as far as I could away from the house, those dead animals, that thing. As soon as I was in the city limits, I decided to buy some gas, seeing as I was almost on empty. I pulled into a gas station and got out of my car. My eyes widened as I saw the trunk had been completely bashed in. I quickly pumped the gas and left for my parents’ house. Four months later, I am living in my apartment, dealing with occasional nightmares at times, but could never be happier to get away from that house and that monster that lives there.

I just checked my mail this morning and received a letter with no return address. Inside, written on crumpled up paper, was a crudely draw smiley face and the words, “You can’t hide.”

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

22 thoughts on “The Mail Man”

  1. This creepypasta seems to try to be creepy just by there being blood and guts and entrails. What makes a pasta scary is the atmosphere, not the amounts of gore you can put in it.

  2. I love this but I live in the woods and deal with dead farm animals all the time sooo. . . I’m gong to have fun sleeping tonight!!! *eye twitch*

  3. Part two? The thing about calling the cops, I feel, is irrelevant. Im glad he didnt, it obviously wouldve made no sense, what so ever. But, in a part teo you could ecplain more that, the character had found out about this “thing”, and any other interactions with it afterward….

  4. Nicola Marie Jackson

    I understand that a normal person would call the police and yet I didn’t think that until I read it in the comments, so what does that say? When he drove off I expected to see “It” waiving at him but when it jumped onto the car I literally jumped a little bit. It reminds me of “Faulty Wiring” but they are far from copies of each other, they just both both had an ending that made me shiver cans that can’t be a bad thing! An easy 9/10 Xxx

  5. Other than the very obvious logic holes, this was reasonably well-written. I spotted a couple of typos, but nothing too bad.

  6. Yall need to stop hating on him its sad enough that he had to go through this but seriously, why not call the police?

  7. Yeah, why no police? This would have been loads better if he did call the police, and they conducted an investigation that uncovered the history of the house and the creature. This is a good premise… just more plot detail.

  8. So…this one time somebody put a dead goose in my roommates car. I couldn’t help but bust into insane laughter reading this story. We didn’t get any creepy notes, though….

  9. This was pretty good just had some flaws but then again people in horror movies dont take the easy way out and call the police thats a common horror flaw but think of this, if they called the police the story would end faster and it would be boring. No need to be a realistic critic lol.

  10. Not a wildly unique story, but I think it was told well. I liked your descriptions and pacing, thought I think there were some stumbles in here. There were some gaps in logic that made this tough. Weirdly enough, the one that got me was that your 100 acres magically blossomed in autumn into a rich bounty. I just wanted to know who was doing that super huge amount of work, because it does not sound like the city-boy narrator. But that was kind of a weird little thing that leapt out at me. That and the police thing, but that has been made wonderfully clear in every other comment. :) I really like the way you handled descriptions in here. I think it was a good balance of providing details while leaving it up to interpretation. You did not describe every minute detail, but definitely set up the boundaries for me to imagine into. I found the notes to be creepy, but again handled with a very subtle hand. Honestly, If I overlook the logical pieces that distracted me, the story itself is pretty good. Maybe a bit more clarity on the creature’s motivation, a little more depth to the narrator and this would have been phenomenal! You have a lot of talent, just watch those logical holes. Happy writing!

  11. Everyone’s saying the same exact thing, but seriously, why did he not just call the police? I can mostly understand his reaction to finding the bird dead, but the second any reasonable person found a dead cat in their mailbox, calling the police to report both incidences would be the most logical reaction. This story totally had something going for it, but it was ruined by the unbelievable reactions of the protagonist and the cliched ending.

  12. Why is he ‘gifting’ these dead animals to the guy? This seems like a story written purely for the shock factor of ‘omg dead animals’. I know we are supposed to have an element of surprise in here but this literally didn’t seem to have any aim to it. Was the spirit unhappy at the new inhabitant or was he just trying to make friends? You need to give us something to hold onto.

    It had a nice creepy flavour but no meat (or healthy vegetables if you’re a vegetarian pasta) for us to really chew on. I would say try less of the dead animals and more of the ‘why is this happening’ and then it’ll be a pretty good pasta. I’d say 5/10

    1. When dogs want to show you that they care for you they give you dead animals in the same way humans give other people gifts

  13. I really liked this creepypasta but… why didn’t he call the police? Right when I got the dead bird in the mail I would’ve done that because I would’ve been to freaked out to just assume it was kids playing a prank on me. I think this story could’ve been better if you had added that he called the police and they came and didn’t find anyone or anything.

  14. OK…so why did this dude not call the police? I live out in the quiet country too, and when weird stuff goes on we call the police. The fact that the guy in the story didn’t do that and there was no reason given for him not doing it really messes with my “willing suspension of disbelief.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top