Advertisement
Please wait...

The Ever-Burning Light Bulb



Estimated reading time — < 1 minute

In a fire station in California, there is a light bulb that is always on and has never, ever burned out. If you read Numbers 16:41-45 from a King James Bible (other versions don’t work) in the same room as this light bulb, the light bulb will dim significantly. If you keep reading until Numbers 16:48, the light bulb goes back to its original brightness.

The trick is, if you hesitate too long while the lights are dim, you start seeing a weird lightshow in front of your eyes, it is most similar to what happens when you rub your eyes for a long time while they are closed.

Advertisements

If you wait for still longer, the lightshow starts forming patterns, like circles and triangles. Still longer, and the lightshow starts to form words. The people that have read these words are reluctant to talk about it, but are often obsessed with the year 2112 and are very interested in what countries are producing biological weapons…

Advertisements
Advertisements
Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

65 thoughts on “The Ever-Burning Light Bulb”

  1. I read the verses and had a chill go up my spine. I enjoyed the Bible verse and how it tied into the idea of biological warfare.
    This pasta was tasty. I’d eat it again.

    But then, many Old Testament passages are creepy…

  2. There Is a Light That Never Goes Out and 2112….. A Smiths reference and Rush reference in one pasta? Win.

  3. Here’s the verses; since chapter 16 only goes up to 50, I’ve included 49 and 50 too:

    16:41 But on the morrow all the congregation of the children of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron, saying, Ye have killed the people of the LORD.

    16:42 And it came to pass, when the congregation was gathered against Moses and against Aaron, that they looked toward the tabernacle of the congregation: and, behold, the cloud covered it, and the glory of the LORD appeared.

    16:43 And Moses and Aaron came before the tabernacle of the congregation.

    16:44 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

    16:45 Get you up from among this congregation, that I may consume them as in a moment. And they fell upon their faces.

    16:46 And Moses said unto Aaron, Take a censer, and put fire therein from off the altar, and put on incense, and go quickly unto the congregation, and make an atonement for them: for there is wrath gone out from the LORD; the plague is begun.

    16:47 And Aaron took as Moses commanded, and ran into the midst of the congregation; and, behold, the plague was begun among the people: and he put on incense, and made an atonement for the people.

    16:48 And he stood between the dead and the living; and the plague was stayed.

    16:49 Now they that died in the plague were fourteen thousand and seven hundred, beside them that died about the matter of Korah.

    16:50 And Aaron returned unto Moses unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation: and the plague was stayed.

    Seriously though folks, yes the bulb exists, I worked in Livermore for around a year. But come on, it’s a bulb that due to construction and luck has burned for 100 years, it’s not magic. There’s no need to go stand in this firehouse and make all the tourists stare while you read from a Bible in a nasally nerdvoice. Samuel Jackson impressions don’t work either.

  4. As to the reason why the bulb doesn’t go out, it’s the same reason why it produces very little[and hence, super freaking eerie(I would hate to be around that thing at night)] light.

    It has a very THICK filament.

    The idea behind these kinds of light bulbs is thus: A certain width of wire of tungsten can only hold and allow so many electrons through at once. The 1-inch filament in light bulbs is actually supercoiled. Close up, it looks like a spring with a ginormous amount of coils. Each length of coil has ben coiled again on an even smaller scale. Hence, with higher energy electrons and more of them and precious little room for them to go through[They get backed up, slightly.]..It gets hot. Heat is turned into light[But only about 20% of it-Not energy efficient, but dayum it’s a great light source. Wouldn’t trade it for a small sun.(..Well..maybe I would xD!)]
    Now, for the ever burning light bulb? That one ISN’T coiled. It’s MANY times wider than our standard light bulb. This means that electrons take very little effort to go through, but remember..This is still tungsten.(Doesn’t heat up as well IIRC)

  5. good pasta, made even better by the fact that there is a bulb in a california firestation that has been burning for over 100 years

  6. @kristacore: I hate to disillusion people, but firefox does crash. Does it to me all the time. Or maybe my computer is possessed by some sort of firefox-hating spirit…

  7. when i saw the title i thought ‘HOMAHGAWD. RELIGIOUS SCHOOL ALL OVER AGAIN.’

    the ever-burning light thing just weirds me out (personally) on so many levels.
    2112… glad i’ll be dead by then. :D and if i’m not dead by then, holy sht. but yeahhh. good pasta. (:

  8. The lightbulb is real, but this story is fake (duh) I read an article on yahoo about it, its a pretty big light bulb that doesnt go out for a scientifical reason. maybe someone can link to the article?

  9. If it’s talking about the centennial bulb, I live RIGHT next to that firehouse in Livermore California. Dana Cir, right next to it. You should come over to my house, and we can break it together! :D

  10. shortys roc my sox

    @ chinchillazilla you may be dead but your children or at least there children would still be alive think about that

  11. Martin Van Buren

    I want to sneak in to the firehouse and break that bulb just because the people are making such a big deal out of it.

  12. How about the Byron the Bulb section of _Gravity’s Rainbow_ by Thomas Pynchon.

    “a bulb over his head burning all night long. He dreamed that the bulb was a representative of Weissmann, a creature whose bright filament was its soul” 426-27; “a theatre marquee whose sentient bulbs may have looked on […] witnesses to grave and historical encounters” 464; “The Story of” 647-55; “Someday he will know everything, and be just as impotent as before” 654; “electrical tidal wave” 665; “young Jack may have had one of them Immortal Lightbulbs then go on overhead” 688; screwed into Gustav’s kazoo hashpipe, 745

  13. 4450 East Ave. Livermore, california
    someone please go and tell the results… either here or e-mail [email protected]…. I got a weird reaction when researching this. Firefox crashed…. firefox never crashes…. especially when your not doing anything to overload it happened just as i was clicking a link to the bulb

  14. @Foolish

    4550 East Ave., Livermore, California

    Hope you live in nocal.

    It’s a regular tourist trap. Pictures of it make it seem like it’s next to other light bulbs, and the area seems to get some natural light as well, so I don’t really know how the room is going to dim… anyway, tell us how it goes Foolish. Assuming you actually make good =p

  15. Wow… the truly frightening thing is… that means that building hasn’t updated it’s electricity a long time! That’s a fire hazard… at a fire station! Those poor souls…
    Also, such a bulb must be remarkably inefficient… can you imagine the cost of even running such a bulb? The kilowatt-hours!

  16. I don’t know. Maybe if you don’t live in California it’s a better pasta =/

    The light actually did go out a few times, during the black outs (it takes a couple seconds for reserve power to kick in at firestations) and also they transported the light bulb when they (carefully) moved the lightbulb when the fire department switched buildings.

  17. Silly me, I was under the impression that the world was ending December of 2012?
    Apparently it’s 2112. Good. I get to live.

  18. It was ok.

    I usually avoid reading creepypasta at night because I’m a complete puss. Tonight I made an exception, and of course I heard a loud bang behind me >.<

    I hate creepypasta.

      1. Sorry, we can’t find the page you requested.

        Please check the URL in the address bar, or …
        Use the navigation links at left to explore our site, or …
        Enter a term in the Quick Search box at top, or …
        Visit our site map page

        In a few moments, you will be taken to our site map page, which will help you find what you looking for.

  19. Royal-Sovereign

    The verses mentioned deal vaguely with a plague that the Lord brought to the people because they pissed him off, and Moses and Aaron had to save the day.

  20. 2112? Like RUSH 2112?! Yes… it all makes sense now…

    Damn fine pasta, seein as how it relates to real life and all.

  21. lol2112

    WE ARE THE PRIESTS!
    OF THE TEMPLES!
    OF SYRINX!
    OUR GREAT COMPUTERS!
    FILL THE HALLOWED HALLS!

    But yeah, that’s crazy. That lightbulb was very well made.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top