Advertisement
Please wait...

The Dark is Better



Estimated reading time — 4 minutes

It is dark now. Thank god it’s dark now.

This way is better. This way I cannot see them.They come out during the day, during the night. But night is better, so much better, because I cannot see them.

Sometimes I can feel their breath, sometimes hot, right down the base of my neck. Sometimes it is cold, an icy blast that chills me to my very core. Sometimes I can hear them breathing, at first distant, a slow, even pace. Then, as they get closer, excited, panting, almost. But I can feel no breath. I can always feel their presence. Even when I cannot see them.

Advertisements

I’ve known about their existence since I was six. Maybe longer. Some people call them ghosts, others; demons. I’ve heard the term shadow people tossed around. I refuse to accept this term. They’re not people. They can’t be people.

People don’t walk around with bleeding stumps of missing limbs and act like everything is fine. People don’t have fangs for teeth, and blazing red cores for eyes. People have substance, those things have none. No. They are not people.

I believe that there are thousands of them, though it has also occurred that it could be three or four that can all change shape. Some of them appear somewhat normal. The vast majority are horrible, terrible projections of some Eldritch Abomination that has long since been lost to the ages of time. Or erased, intentionally, from the history books.

It seems that every day they grow bolder. In the beginning they were nothing more than figments of my imagination. A fairy tale that I took a little too seriously, told to me by my uncle. They would simply hang there, in the corners of my eyes, never approaching, hardly moving. It was two years before one approached me. It had waved one of its four hands, bleeding and cut wide open down the center – as if somebody had taken a blade and run it down the middle finger to the palm in a straight line – extending towards me.

It had passed through me. There was nothing to it. I had to let out a sigh of relief which, as always, somehow managed to dispel that immense, gripping fear of death that every human being possesses. Since then, things have changed. They have become bolder.

After that incident, I thought little of them. Maybe they were just the projections of a fearful, possibly even diseased, mind. A mind rent with disorders. A rotting thing, filled with the stench of decay, the pulsating of maggots, just eating away. I suppose it doesn’t matter, in the long run. It was another stretch of time before they started moving things. Hitting things.

Advertisements

I don’t know how it works. I’m not a scientist, I hardly have a high-school education, but I’ll try to make a guess. I think they’re concentrating. Manifesting themselves into something more real every day.

But they started with breaking things in my house. Vases, chairs, the cat…

They progressed rapidly. They followed me everywhere I went.

It was then that I started to appreciate the true beauty of the night. I can’t see them at night. I can hear them, all right, but I cannot see them over my shoulder. I cannot see them breathing heavily and staring at me hungrily. Though sometimes I can see the eyes. And from those eyes I can imagine the rest. Eyes bright like the fires of hell. The drawn-out breathing enough for me to tell that it’s coming from a horrid, capsized chest, bogged down with rotten waters.

Had it simply been breaking things, and being horrifying, I may have just left this story on the corroded shelves of my mind, but something happened yesterday that made me realize that I need to share this.

Advertisements

They killed an old woman.

I saw it. I was outside, walking. I walk often, I can’t stand to sit still for too long without closing my eyes. She was on the opposite side of street and she interested me. Dare I say, she captivated me. She could see them too. She looked more frightened than I had ever seen anybody before. Her wrinkled lips were moving silently in something that I recognize, only because I’ve recited it endless times myself.

It is the chant of the faithful, of the damned, of those who don’t know what else to do.

She never finished it a second time. The things were upon her quickly. They devoured her. It was silent. It was bloody. I had to try and turn away, but I simply could not. This big one with blades for hands that hung crookedly, like some fucked-up version of a bug’s leg, started shredding her remains apart. Shoveling them messily into its mouth, which consisted of nothing more than a gaping black chasm, the lips, cracked inhuman things, tinged red.

It finally clicked that these things could, and would, kill me. That’s when I fled. I should’ve helped, but by the time that thought went floating through my shocked mind there wasn’t anything I could do. I ran back inside like the coward that I am. That’s where I’m at now. I had a mental debate with myself, some inner turmoil and anguish. But I’ve decided to share this. So that somebody else knows.

Often times I think back to my uncle. The one who told me the story. I never saw him after that. My parents maintained that he had gone on a long vacation, which I was content to believe, until my 16th birthday party when one of my distant cousins let slip that he had been murdered. Torn apart, they said. Limb from limb. A rosary in his hand.

And I wonder why he shared the story with me.

Advertisements

Why?

It’s been some time, but I have my rosary at hand. I know the chant. Our father, who art in heaven… The whole nine yards.

I don’t think I have anything more to say. If I die, somebody now will know how it came about. Over the last few minutes the fear has really been settling in, because it’s dark but I can see them now. I can see them, oh god and they’re glowing, they’re glowing. That heinous fucking yellow light of the sunrise.

I’m posting this now, as the sun rises higher, slowly. I hope for the best, but the outlook is bleak.

God, how I hate the sun. I wish I couldn’t see them. It would be better if I couldn’t see them. Somehow, It would be better.

Credit: SpongyWaffles

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

13 thoughts on “The Dark is Better”

  1. I’m bored of monsters with knives for hands and rusty mincers for teeth… Cheers, Silent Hill, for ruining monsters forever. The T100 had (at a few points in the movie) knives for hands and he was much scarier than this. If they were grotesque and other worldly and skin crawlingly sickening then great, but they weren’t – they were just faceless ghouls with kitchen-ware for arms and teeth and thus, sledgehammer obvious. This reminded me of loads of other pastas I’ve read, and it didn’t do anything different. 2/10.

  2. I enjoyed the story for the most part, but I have a few issues.

    First, the intro was pretty long, and the story content was pretty short. If you put a long intro, make sure the main story is just as long or longer; that way it doesn’t feel like we’ve built up anticipation for nothing (make sure the main story content outshines the intro too).
    Second, I loved your descriptive writing, but it was just a tad too much. You did great on getting us on board with your fear and with our imagination, but at times the descriptions went on and on. Just a little trimming would fix that.
    Third, while I loved your descriptions and the fear in the story, in the end the monsters didn’t really do anything terrifying or extraordinary. It felt like a let down to me for the monsters to do what all monsters tend to do: creep you out then kill you. I would have loved to expand more on their motivation and origin, and would have enjoyed seeing a little more from the monsters themselves other than breathing down your neck and mauling people.

    Over all, I liked the story. Good job! 7/10

  3. Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the recent creepypastas have the word Dark in their titles. Weird

    I’m reading this late so I’m just gonna skip the weird comment format I have been recently doing.

    Plot. I see things that nobody else sees. I actually don’t mind this idea, whenever I see a creepypasta using this I usually enjoy it. This one, however, did not tick any boxes for me.

    Writing Style. Boring. Nothing here jumped out at you, it did nothing for me. The monster descriptions felt half arsed, there was no fear factor in this story. The old lady part didn’t do anything either, there wasn’t enough there to actually make us care about her dying. It sounds cruel, but if we don’t know them, we don’t care about them

    3/10. Below mediocre creepypasta. It gave us nothing new, just threw a bunch of overused ideas at us, hoping we might give it a chance.

  4. This is pretty cliched, and not too scary. I think it could be scary, but it’s going to take some work. 6/10

  5. Liked it. Could be fleshed out a bit more though felt closer to an outline then a full story. Liked where the end took it.

  6. You can feel them breath, then you cant feel them breath? Lol. There were alot of errors. I didnt really enjoy it but its not like it was horrible.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top