To avoid repeat suggestions – and for the sake of pre-emptive feedback about possible changes – this page is simply a place for me to publish my “Creepypasta To-Do List.” It will not always be current, as often I’ll prioritize actually doing things before listing them here.
The following items are currently being worked on:
- New site design/mobile theme rework for Crappypasta
- Some other new functions and pages for the main site
The following items have been recently accomplished/finished:
- The site slowness has been solved (knock on wood); for those of you interested in specifics, I discovered that our old submission form plugin was bloating our wp_options table at the speed of light; adding thousands of rows every hour and thus killing the server with heavy load. The plugin authors are aware of the issue, but I’ve moved on and started testing new plugins so that we can get submissions open sooner rather than later (as I have no ETA on when/if the issue will be fixed for the old plugin).
- CDN and more security measures were installed after we experienced multiple DDoS attacks (as per usual for July)
- New mobile theme created and installed for the main site
To-do list (in no particular order and with no ETA):
- Add a SoundCloud player to the sidebar so that people can contribute their own ‘creepy’ music/bgm for the site.
- In general, I’d like to give the community more opportunities to showcase their various creepy endeavours – videos, music, Etsy shops, fan art, etc.
- An offshoot of the site for ‘true’ stories. We get so many people trying to submit these that it may be a decent idea to make a separate archive for creepy/unsettling experiences rather than fiction.
- Figure out a way to get more people involved with Crappypasta. As-is, we have an overabundance of people wanting feedback for their stories, but only 3-4 people regularly leaving feedback. It’s a very unbalanced equation right now!
- Theme Switching ability with multiple themes. I’ve found a paid plugin that will allow this, but I need to create multiple color schemes/themes before this can go live, which currently places this as slightly lower priority than some of the other easier items on the list.
On the flip side, here are some suggestions that will NOT be implemented, no matter how many people suggest them:
- User profiles. This isn’t particularly necessary (DISQUS fulfills this function quite well), would eat up server space that we can’t afford, and would severely increase our vulnerability to certain exploits. Seriously, every few months a security alert pops up that we manage to avoid having to worry about simply by not allowing user registration. So TL;DR: not worth it, not happening. PLEASE STOP BRINGING THIS UP.
- Forums. Once again, server space is the main concern – forums are huge data hogs – but I also don’t see the point in creating a redundant forum (and thus wasting server space, increasing monthly operating fees, opening ourselves to further exploits, and adding even more to my workload) when others already exist. Check the sidebar links and join one of the already established Creepypasta or paranormal forums! There’s no reason that you need me specifically to run a forum, so please stop suggesting this.
- Chat room of any kind. We tested one on Crappypasta, and even that degenerated into a cesspool of racism and nastiness. Since the mods can’t always be babysitting chat rooms, this is yet another instance of ‘this is why we can’t have nice things’ – clearly, the community cannot handle unmoderated conversation, which was really disappointing to learn.
Suggestions that I’m undecided on:
- Running – or at the very least, helping to produce – a Creepypasta-themed podcast. I don’t think I’d make a very good host, so I’d have to find someone with a good voice and audio equipment to do the actual hosting. This could be run in a similar fashion as the Anything Ghost podcast, where the host reads select creepypastas aloud and maybe some Discussion Post questions/comments as well. It sounds fun, but would be a very large undertaking, which is why it’s currently residing in suggestion netherworld.
- Let’s Plays of paranormal video games. This has been suggested a number of times, but I’m not really sure that it’s necessary. Aren’t there already plenty of people doing this?
Feel free to comment with more suggestions or feedback on currently listed ideas. If I really like a suggestion and find that it’s doable, I’ll add it to the to-do list. Of course, there are no ETAs on any of these improvements, so do not expect your suggestion to be used immediately or even in a timely fashion – this is definitely a “when I have the time and inspiration, it will get done” type of thing.
I do ask that you do not suggest things just for the sake of suggesting them – this is an issue over on the Crappypasta category page; people frequently seem more interested in getting their name acknowledged than they are in actually suggesting something useful.
Please do not suggest things that are already covered above or things that are already in existence; please also refrain from suggesting things that you don’t actually need me to be involved with. Remember that whatever you’re asking for will have to be added on to my workload, so if your idea can be put into motion without needing my permission or involvement, you do not need to ask me to do it for you. Things like creating your own chat room, forums, or collaborative writing group fall into this category. Take a moment to consider whether your suggestion is truly something that you need me to stop working on everything else for, or if it’s something that can be done with your own/already established resources.
Keep in mind the cost and effort of ideas before you suggest them. Remember that I’m one person and that this website already costs hundreds of dollars every month to keep up; I get the impression that many of you simply don’t grasp how expensive some of your ideas are. If something has been deemed too expensive, please don’t try to guilt me into doing it anyhow – the funds simply do not exist.
Of course, the exception to this rule is if your idea in any way requires my server resources (automatically fetching stories or any type of data from the site, for example) or if it involves needing permission of authors. Remember that when authors submit to this website, they only give THIS SITE permission to use their stories; if you decide to use their work for something else without asking them, don’t be surprised if you have to face consequences. Some of our contributors are attempting to establish careers as published writers, and if you attempt to use their work without permission, they may pursue legal avenues to make you stop – as is their right.
I may not reply to every suggestion – if I feel it’s repetitive or redundant or I simply have nothing to say in response, I may not bother.
Lastly, If I reject your suggestion, please do not take it personally.
NOTE: If you reply to this page with anything unrelated to the topic, I will not approve it. This page is for people to suggest legitimate improvements and ideas for the website; as such, I’d like to keep it clean of off-topic junk. That means that this is not the place for you to try and roleplay about Jeff the Killer or suggest terrible Rise of the Guardians creepypasta (really? ) or anything else beyond suggesting site improvements or event/contest ideas.
Seriously, guys, you’re on a website dedicated to reading creepy stories. Key word: reading. Please take the time to actually read what you’re replying to before you post.