WE ARE CURRENTLY IN A CLOSED SUBMISSION PERIOD.
Submissions closed on May 21st, 2016. Please allow me time to work through the backlog.
I have outlined a number of common issues/questions regarding the submission form on this page; please expand this stub to view the full Q&A section. PLEASE READ THIS PAGE AND THE FAQ BEFORE SENDING ME A CONTACT REQUEST ASKING FOR HELP! The vast majority of support requests I get are actually questions already answered on this page and/or the FAQ. Save us both some time and just read the information below if you’re having trouble!
You can use this form to submit your story for publication on the creepypasta.com blog, but please do keep a few things in mind:
- Read the FAQ first. Read the FAQ first. READ THE FAQ FIRST. Seriously, guys, it’s there to help you understand how the submission process works on our end as well as give you hints on what NOT to do in your submission. No, really, whatever questions you have are probably answered there already. Go read it.
- If you want credit, SPECIFY exactly how you want to be credited, please.
- Insert the name/handle you want credited in the “Credit” field, and if you want that name as a hotlink to your website / email / twitter / whathaveyou, input that in the “Credit Link” field. If you don’t want credit or a link, just leave the field blank.
- Please, please, PLEASE proofread before you submit.
- Constant misspellings, glaring grammatical errors, and overuse of slang/lazy writing (when it’s not for effect, of course)… these are the most common reasons we reject pastas, yet also the most easily preventable. It makes us sad when we get good ideas that have been completely ruined by sloppy writing. DO NOT WRITE YOUR PASTA IN THE SUBMISSION FIELD. Write and edit and FINISH your pasta before you submit, PLEASE. I’ve had too many people explain away terrible pastas by “I wrote it in the submission field and so I couldn’t save it and edit it later” or “I wrote it in 5 minutes and submitted it on impulse” – please stop doing this. 99% of pastas written in this fashion have giant flaws and go straight to the reject pile. We want effort, not impulse.
- Formatting, images, and video guidelines are below:
- If you want to submit a comic strip/image or include an image in your pasta, upload the image somewhere (like photobucket or imgur) and just paste the image’s direct URL into the pasta text field. If you want to add an image into your text pasta, just paste the image url where you want the image to display in the story. I’ll take care of making it look right if your story is accepted.
- Video/audio pastas are accepted! You must upload your video pasta to a host that allows embedding (like YouTube) and simply paste the url to your video’s page, NOT the embed code, in the area where you would otherwise enter your story text. Make sure that you allow embeds and mobile viewing if those are options (they are on YouTube, for example) – otherwise I can’t use your video!
- While custom fonts are not allowed (for example, you cannot ask that we publish your pasta in Comic Sans), you may use html formatting such as italics, colored text, bold, etc. You must enter all html formatting manually; please double-check your code and make sure that you close all tags before submitting.
- Please remember to properly divide paragraphs with more than just an indent. Our publishing platform can randomly remove indents, resulting in your pasta looking like a gigantic wall of text even when it technically does have paragraphs. So please just use a space between paragraphs to distinguish them rather than an indent; I know that this may go against habit for some of you, but it’s necessary here.
- If you would like us to replace your story with edits or take down your story, we will comply ONLY if you submit your request using the same email address that you used when you originally submitted the story.
- If we cannot confirm that the person requesting the edits is the same person who originally authored/submitted the piece, we will not go through with the edits or takedowns. There have been too many instances of trolls trying to get other people’s stories taken down that we have to require this step, so apologies for the extra hoops, but it’s necessary. The preferred way is for you to reply to your acceptance email with a link to your edited pasta uploaded somewhere like Pastebin; simply resubmitting will create an entirely new entry in the queue and may not be seen for anywhere from several days to months, depending on the amount of submissions we are receiving.
- If you are submitting something that was originally posted on a subreddit (/nosleep/ and other various writing subreddits), YOU MUST BE THE ORIGINAL POSTER.
- After you submit, please send a PM to this reddit account from the same account that originally posted the piece on Reddit. Failure to do this will be taken as admission that you are not the original author and your submission will be deleted.
- Please do not submit SCP-related stories to us. Submit them to the SCP Wiki instead, that is where they belong and it will allow us to avoid any issues involving the wiki’s licensing rules.
- Special Tag Guidelines are as follows:
- Regarding the Micropasta tag: please only select this if your pasta is 500 words or less. Anything longer is not eligible for that tag. If you need one, here is a good online wordcount tool.
- Regarding the Based on a True Story tag: Please only select this if your pasta is based on a real-life legend, location, or experience. Examples would be a pasta inspired by a spooky hotel or a true paranormal experience that you’ve had.
- Regarding the Real-World Creepy tag: Select this tag ONLY if you are submitting a pasta/write-up on, as the tag implies, something in the real world. Examples are this post on The Dibbuk Box or this post on Takakanonuma Greenland.
- Similarly, please do not choose a tag if your pasta is not actually related to said tag. The field isn’t required, and I won’t add unrelated stories to a tag just because you marked it for the hell of it.
- BE PATIENT.
- I can’t stress this enough. You may be going crazy because you think your pasta was so amazing and you can’t understand why we haven’t posted it right this second, but please try to remember that other people work just as hard on their submissions, and you are not somehow more special than they are. We get lots of submissions, and even if yours is accepted, you still have to wait your turn.
- You may have to wait several months for your submission to be processed – please understand that we often get several thousands of submissions during an open period, and as I do read every single submission, this means that it can sometimes take multiple months for me to fully process a submission batch. Please do not submit if you cannot handle that sort of turnaround time.
- Common issues and submission form troubleshooting:
- If the submission form gives you an error mentioning the anti-spam question, please ensure that you have adblock (or any similar programs or extenstions) disabled temporarily (or you can whitelist the creepypasta.com domain in your adblock settings). Ad or script blocking extensions can prevent the form from executing properly – in the case of the “anti-spam question” error message, it is causing the hidden anti-bot measures to malfunction and flag your submission as a spam attempt. This is easily the most common ‘glitch’ and also the most easily remedied.
- Outdated browser builds may not always play nice with the form. Please ensure that you are using an updated version of your browser of choice.
- Before you send me a message, try using a different browser or device to submit in case the issue is something on your end. Some mobile devices do not cooperate with this form, and I have absolutely zero idea why – the authors of this form’s plugin try their hardest to make it work with all user agents possible, but sometimes people have certain settings on their phones or brand new updates that break things and there’s really nothing to be done about it. Likewise, you may have any number of extensions or settings on your browser that cause conflicts with this form. This is not something that I can know, and thus not something that I can fix for you, so PLEASE try to get around it on your own before contacting me.
- If you have made sure that all of the above issues are not applicable and you are still having problems, please use the Contact Us form to let us know. Please be detailed: simply saying “the form isn’t working” won’t help me figure out your problem. If you get an error, screenshot it and link me the image. Tell me what browser/device you’re using. Details are important!
- Website error messages will still be displayed within the site’s normal style. That is, the site will not look any different, but you will get an error message in the place where posts usually display. If you are getting blank pages with errors or popup notices with errors, please try googling the errors before contacting me as many times this means the issue is on your end. I’ve had people try to contact me when the issue is with their ISP’s DNS servers not responding or malware on their system giving them browser redirects; I can’t actually help you with these issues!
- If the confirmation message (it looks like this and displays below the form upon a successful submission) is not displaying or the spam filter won’t let you submit no matter how many times you double check everything, DO NOT SUBMIT VIA CONTACT US. Send a message detailing your issue and I will give you instructions on how to manually submit without the form. Once again, EVEN IF THE FORM GIVES YOU ERRORS, SUBMITTING YOUR PASTA VIA CONTACT US WILL RESULT IN ITS DELETION.
TL;DR guidelines and rules aside – thank you for your submission!