WE ARE CURRENTLY IN A CLOSED SUBMISSION PERIOD.
THE NEXT SUBMISSION PERIOD WILL BE ANNOUNCED SOON. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS!
PLEASE READ THIS ANNOUNCEMENT AND THE FAQ BEFORE SUBMITTING. VIOLATION OF THE RULES WILL RESULT IN YOUR SUBMISSION BEING DELETED FROM THE QUEUE, AND POSSIBLY LEAD TO A BAN FROM SUBMITTING. IGNORANCE OF THE FAQ/RULES IS NOT AN EXCUSE.
You can use this form to submit your story for publication on the creepypasta.com blog, but please do keep a few things in mind:
- Read the FAQ first. Read the FAQ first. READ THE FAQ FIRST. Seriously, guys, it’s there to help you understand how the submission process works on our end as well as give you hints on what NOT to do in your submission. No, really, whatever questions you have are probably answered there already. Go read it.
- If you want credit, SPECIFY exactly how you want to be credited, please. Insert the name/handle you want credited in the “Credit” field, and if you want that name as a hotlink to your website / email / twitter / whathaveyou, input that in the “Credit Link” field. If you don’t want credit or a link, just leave the field blank.
- Please, please, PLEASE proofread before you submit. Constant misspellings, glaring grammatical errors, and overuse of slang/lazy writing (when it’s not for effect, of course)… these are the most common reasons we reject pastas, yet also the most easily preventable. It makes us sad when we get good ideas that have been completely ruined by sloppy writing. DO NOT WRITE YOUR PASTA IN THE SUBMISSION FIELD. Write and edit and FINISH your pasta before you submit, PLEASE. I’ve had too many people explain away terrible pastas by “I wrote it in the submission field and so I couldn’t save it and edit it later” or “I wrote it in 5 minutes and submitted it on impulse” – please stop doing this. 99% of pastas written in this fashion have giant flaws and go straight to the reject pile. We want effort, not impulse.
- Formatting, images, and video guidelines are below:
- If you want to submit a comic strip/image or include an image in your pasta, upload the image somewhere (like photobucket) and just paste the image’s direct URL into the pasta text field. If you want to add an image into your text pasta, just paste the image url where you want the image to display in the story. I’ll take care of making it look right if your story is accepted.
- Video pastas are accepted! You must upload your video pasta to a host that allows embedding (like YouTube) and simply paste the url to your video’s page, NOT the embed code, in the area where you would otherwise enter your story text. Make sure that you allow embeds and mobile viewing if those are options (they are on YouTube, for example) – otherwise I can’t use your video!
- While custom fonts are not allowed (for example, you cannot ask that we publish your pasta in Comic Sans), you may use html formatting such as italics, colored text, bold, etc. To do so, you must include the proper html tags in your submission. If you do not know how to use html tags, google will help.
- Please remember to properly divide paragraphs with more than just an indent. Our publishing platform can randomly remove indents, resulting in your pasta looking like a gigantic wall of text even when it technically does have paragraphs. So please just use a space between paragraphs to distinguish them rather than an indent; I know that this may go against habit for some of you, but it’s necessary here.
- If you would like us to replace your story with edits or take down your story, we will comply ONLY if you submit your request using the same email address that you used when you originally submitted the story. If we cannot confirm that the person requesting the edits is the same person who originally authored/submitted the piece, we will not go through with the edits or takedowns. There have been too many instances of trolls trying to get other people’s stories taken down that we have to require this step, so apologies for the extra hoops, but it’s necessary. The preferred way is for you to reply to your acceptance email with the edited version; simply resubmitting will create an entirely new entry in the queue and may not be seen for anywhere from several days to months, depending on the amount of submissions we are receiving.
- If you are submitting something that was originally posted on a subreddit (/nosleep/ and other various writing subreddits), YOU MUST BE THE ORIGINAL POSTER. After you submit, please send a PM to this reddit account from the same account that originally posted the piece on Reddit. Failure to do this will be taken as admission that you are not the original author and your submission will be deleted.
- Special Tag Guidelines are as follows:
- Regarding the Micropasta tag: please only select this if your pasta is 300 words or less. Anything longer is not eligible for that tag. If you need one, here is a good online wordcount tool.
- Regarding the Based on a True Story tag: Please only select this if your pasta is based on a real-life legend, location, or experience. Examples would be a pasta inspired by a spooky hotel or a true paranormal experience that you’ve had.
- Regarding the Real-World Creepy tag: Select this tag ONLY if you are submitting a pasta/write-up on, as the tag implies, something in the real world. Examples are this post on The Dibbuk Box or this post on Takakanonuma Greenland.
- Similarly, please do not choose a tag if your pasta is not actually related to said tag. The field isn’t required, and I won’t add unrelated stories to a tag just because you marked it for the hell of it.
- BE PATIENT. I can’t stress this enough. You may be going crazy because you think your pasta was so amazing and you can’t understand why we haven’t posted it right this second, but please try to remember that other people work just as hard on their submissions, and you are not somehow more special than they are. We get lots of submissions, and even if yours is accepted, you still have to wait your turn.
- When a submission is successfully received, you a confirmation message in red text will appear below these guidelines. It looks like this (click for screenshot of a successful submission message). If you see this message, congratulations, your submission has been added to the queue and you don’t need to do anything else but wait patiently. If the message isn’t there, please check your submission to make sure that all required fields and checkboxes have been properly filled.
- I’ve had some people tell me that using no-ad extensions can sometimes break the submission form. I presume that the extensions are blocking a part of the code necessary to successfully execute the submit function. Try making an exception in your ad-block for this page if you’re having issues.
- If you are certain that you are doing everything correctly and it’s still not working, consider trying a different browser (or making sure that yours is updated). Outdated browser builds may not always play nice with the form. I can confirm that as of July 2013, this form works fine for me using Google Chrome.
- If you have made sure that all of the above issues are not applicable and you are still having problems, please use the Contact Us form to let us know. Please be detailed: simply saying “the form isn’t working” won’t help me figure out your problem.
- If the confirmation message (detailed above) is not displaying or the spam filter won’t let you submit no matter how many times you double check everything, DO NOT SUBMIT VIA CONTACT US. Send a message detailing your issue and I will give you instructions on how to manually submit without the form. Once again, EVEN IF THE FORM GIVES YOU ERRORS, SUBMITTING YOUR PASTA VIA CONTACT US WILL RESULT IN ITS DELETION.
TL;DR guidelines and rules aside – thank you for your submission!