Advertisement
Please wait...

Spare 10 Minutes – Live A Lifetime



Estimated reading time — 3 minutes

As I stood outside the entrance to the underground passages, heavy rain falling upon the cobblestone road, ready to take part in the cities famous ghost tour amongst a group of about 20 to 30 people, I felt a sense of nervousness and excitement in the atmosphere.

I’d arrived in Edinburgh that afternoon, travelling light, just enough clothes to last the night and my camera which had hung from my neck all day long, ready to snap up a piece of this beautiful historic city at any giving moment.

Throughout the day, I had took part in the type of activities you’d expect from a tourist in this city. Starting off with a visit to Edinburgh’s zoo around midday, then off to the famous Edinburgh castle that stood towering above the city on a hilltop at around 4pm. I probably didn’t spend as much time admiring these amazing locations as I should have, but, with only the Sunday to take everything in before returning home for university the following day, I knew time was of the essence.

Finally leaving the castle at 7pm after a spot of lunch at the onsite cafe, I got onto a tour bus that brought the rest of the group to the start of the cities famous ghost tour.

So here we all were, waiting for the tour guide to make an appearance and get the evening under way, when suddenly, there goes my phone ringing.

Glancing down at the screen, I saw ‘mum’ flashing on the screen.

“Hi,” I said picking up the phone, “could you ring me back mum, I’m a little preoccupied right now and don’t have much time.”
“Hey son, I’m just calling to see if you’re okay, you know how worried I get if you don’t call, plus, it’s always nice to spare a few moments for your old mum,” she said.

From birth until the age of 18 when I left home to study photography at university, I was never closer to anyone more than my mum.  So I could understand her concerns as I usually would make a note of contacting her on a Sunday.

“I know mum, but I’m 18 now, you don’t have to concern yourself,” I replied reassuringly.
“ I’m up in Edinburgh at the moment, it’s been quite a busy day so it slipped my mind to get in touch, I’m just about to start the cities famous ghost tour”
“It’s okay son,” she said, “it’s just good hear you’re okay, I’ll let you get on with the tour, I feel you’ll be safe now.”
“Safe now?,” I laughed in confusion, “I’m sure I would have been safe even if you didn’t call.”

Advertisements
Advertisements

“Hello?” I said as the line broke up. “Damn signal,” I muttered looking up from my phone.

“ Hmm, that’s weird… Where’s everyone gone?”  I said to myself looking at the empty entrance of the underground.
“They must have started the tour without me while I was distracted on the phone,” I laughed talking out loud this time. “I’m sure I can catch up to them though,” I said entering the gates in front of me that lead to a flight of descending stone steps.

As I made my way down the 30 or so steps, I saw what looked like a distant gathering of people amongst dim lights and dust.
“That must be them,” I said speeding up my pace into a fast walk.
About 50 yards of fast walking down a narrow stone corridor, I was stopped dead in my tracks.

Stepping out from a room to my left stood the shadow of a 6ft man.
To say I was terrified would be an understatement. My heart jumping into the back of my chest, the breath rushing from my lungs, I looked up at the figure in absolute panic..

Advertisements

“Calm down,” came a voice breaking what seemed like an eternity of terror and silence.
“Wh wh wh wh wh wh… who are you?” I asked stammering in shock.
“The names Edward McGregor,” he replied stepping from the darkness to reveal himself.

A guy of about 40 years with long brown shaggy hair, piercing green eyes and a pale skin complexion, Edward stood before me blocking the way forward.

“You’ve been separated from the rest of them, haven’t you?” He asked.
“I just got held up outside on the phone and lost my concentration, so you could say that,” I replied with a laugh of realising he wasn’t some terrifying monster or ghostly apparition as first thought.
“It happens all too often. You’ve missed the first 10 minutes of the tour,” he said, “but it’s your lucky day.”
“My lucky day?” I asked bemused.
“Yeah, your lucky day,” he said again.
“How though?” I replied even more confused.
“The rain that flooded the graveyard above was just too much for the foundations of these old corridors to hold, and now all but you lay dead beneath the collapse of the ceiling. Give my kind regards to your mum for being of great help,” he said walking off back into the dark room he came from.

Credit To: Creepypasta UK

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

30 thoughts on “Spare 10 Minutes – Live A Lifetime”

  1. unspecific and short. =] it was intriguing but ended too abrubtly. i thought for sure the mom was going to be dead or something. calling from beyond the grave. “went to ghost house. nothing interesting happened. people died. lolz. the end”

  2. Have to say, didn’t care for this at all. I’ve lived in Edinburgh for 10 years and the way you write about the various ‘activities’ you get up to just doesn’t quite add up to me. Also, the reveal at the end isn’t a payoff – incredibly vague, have no idea what you were trying to get at. Not creepy, kinda crappy.

  3. Seems to confuse Mary Kings Close with the various ghost tours that set out on the Royal Mile — like the one that meets at the Tron. Also, the dialogue was very stilted. Is that how you speak to your mother on the phone?

  4. I’d like to see a sequel for this pasta.

    Maybe this guy was saved from the cave-in for a reason, his mum could have been psychic to the guy in the dark, causing here to ring her son, and the guy needs the student for some other dastardly deed.

    Anyway, good tasty pasta, 6/10

  5. I think the ending means that the main character’s mom kinda supplies this McGregor fellow with dead bodies or something. I don’t really care for this pasta though, wasn’t even remotely creepy or scary, it’s just about an accident/murder, and it’s too vague to make out which of the two. Also, why name a character (Edward McGregor) if you’re going nowhere with him? I could go on with the flaws, but I’m just gonna say this story did nothing for me. Nothing really happened in it.

  6. I got goosebumps! I’m usually very picky with pastas because I’m sensitve to cliche and general bad writing. However, I genuinely liked this story. Unlike a lot of the people in the comments I’ve read so far, I feel like every loop-hole was closed up properly. As a writer, you do not need to spell out every answer & I’m glad you didn’t; it shows poor writing skills. Well done!!

  7. That last line… was the guy supposed to be referring to something he wasn’t meant to know about or what? ‘Cause the main character never said it was his mother on the phone. I dunno, if it was meant to be significant then it seems a little vague, which could be cool, I guess, like there was some sort of weird co-operation of some sort… though still a bit too vague to really get the point across. But if it wasn’t meant to be a “wait, how did he know it was her?” situation, then yeah, that bit kinda sits wrong. Also, help? Help with what? Obviously she helped the kid not get squashed but the wording is awkward for some random guy’s passing comment. I can’t tell what you’re aiming at with that last bit and that’s actually bugging me more than the whole OMG YOU ALMOST GOT SQUISHED BY A ROOF thing.
    o_0

      1. The /story/ did, but the guy talking to the kid who was on the phone isn’t reading the story. At no point during the conversation between that guy and the kid was it mentioned who was on the other end of the phone.

        1. Well, shit maybe his mom can see the future. Maybe the guy and his mom work together and save people and stuff, though that wouldn’t explain why the other people had to die. Maybe his mom’s a sorceress. Dude, use your freakin’ imagination! :P

  8. LilMissCreepyPasta

    Okay… Number one, 30 people just died and this guy just stands there in the dark? Number two, it took him that long to say that to his mom? Number three, how did the guy know he was talking to his mom? Number four, who was the group of people he saw? I don’t know if you meant it to be like this, but it kind of confused me. Other than that, I liked it. Not all that creepy though, but pretty good :)

    1. He was standing there in the dark because he didn’t know he was the survivor, and was probably shocked with the information. And I guess he’s a slow talker, haha, and the guy knew because he was probably a spirit or ghost, and the group of people was his darn tour. Probably should have actually read the story instead of skimming through it.

    1. Maybe a messenger of death, or a ghost or death himself? I know it’s stupid of me to say but death can be avoided, like final destination, I guess it’s just death giving his regards to the guy that was lucky enough to elude him. Hence the fact that he knew the people died.

  9. Not so much creepy as it is sad. Great story though, I loved it! I’d definitely go for seconds on this pasta! 10/10
    Eye approves!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top