Advertisement
Please wait...

Return to Sender



Estimated reading time — 2 minutes

Another bouquet of flowers showed up today. That’s the third this week.

They’re beautiful flowers, they really are. Roses, and lilies, bursts of color and baby’s breath. Lovely arrangements that would make anyone happy to receive.

Yet every time they arrive, I can’t help but feel a stab of fear.

I guess I should explain.

This all started back in college, when I started dating this guy – we’ll call him Mike. He was a nice enough guy, we just…weren’t really compatible. I don’t know. It didn’t work out, for the same reason a lot of things in college don’t work out, and I never would have given it a second thought or even really remember him at all if it weren’t for the flowers.

The first bouquet showed up the week after our last date, after I’d texted him to say “this isn’t working out.” They were vibrant blue chrysanthemums and white roses and they came with no note or explanation – they merely appeared on the welcome mat in front of my apartment door.

I waited for him to try and follow up, to get back together with me, but he never did. I even texted him to thank him for the flowers and he insisted he didn’t send them, but of course he’d say that.

But then, in a few weeks, another bouquet arrived.

And then another. And the week after that, a third.

Advertisements

And pretty soon, the flowers were coming every week. When I moved out of my apartment, they were waiting for me at my new address. When I got a job in a different state, they arrived at my workplace, placed cheerfully on my desk.

Advertisements

I called and texted Mike, trying to get him to stop, but I kept getting a “message failed” or “this number has been disconnected.” I guess he changed his number. Maybe he didn’t want me calling to harass him.

The flowers kept coming, and I started to get creeped out. How did he know where I lived? How did he keep finding me?

I changed my phone number. I moved. I became meticulous about hiding my identity online. I called the florists and begged them to put me on a “no-deliver” list. I even called the police and tried to file a report that I was being stalked. Let me tell you – trying to get the police to do something about a guy delivering you flowers? Not an easy task.

But nothing I did could keep the flowers from coming. They just kept showing up, every week, and then twice a week – for nearly three years now. No matter where I live or where I work, somehow, the flowers just keep coming.

Which brings us to today, and the newest bouquet. Usually, when I get them, I’m exasperated or a little uneasy or just plain mad. But lately, I’ve been getting more and more scared.

Advertisements

Because I was on Facebook the other day, prowling through friends-of-friends and old classmates, snooping around the way you do when you’ve had a couple drinks and a free evening.

And I found Mike’s Facebook page.

It was covered in messages of mourning and memorial. Because Mike’s been dead for nearly three years.

Credit: T.L. Bodine

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

13 thoughts on “Return to Sender”

  1. It did send a little chills. Yet I don’t get it. She says she broke up with him and assumed he was sending the flowers. He had told her I’m not doing that, get he is dead. I am going to assume someone had taken his phone and was saying that. I don’t know I am just assuming.

  2. isn’t it kind of an assumption that this Mike guy was the one sending them? Being so fixated on Mike when it could have been someone else. Maybe Mikes friend or something.

  3. It’s a grammatically well written, but half cooked pasta. I mean, I like a little al dente every now and then, but this is a bit underwhelming.

    Sooo is the protagonist getting flowers from a dead guy? Is it a legit stalker? Did anything ever happen to them? Or did they just keep receiving a harmless bouquet twice a week for the rest of their life?

    That aside, it’s fairly simple for a florist to track the sender of a bouquet, even if they’re anonymous, assuming they’re still corporeal. They have to pay for them somehow.

    Or is this stalker/ghost providing his own flowers? If so, and they’re professional quality, they could put 1-800-flowers out of business, especially if they’re ghost flowers!

    My point is this story made zero logical sense, had no ending to speak of, and as I stated before, was entirely underwhelming. It did have its good points. It was well written, as I was so drawn into the narrative to even think about and question these points. I liked where it was going…it just didn’t go anywhere.

    But keep it up. You have talent and skill as a writer. And as I’ve learned, being a good writer is 10% talent, 40% skill, and 50% figuring out what doesn’t work.

    1. she originally thought they were from him, and didn’t bother to snoop around to find out he had died probably months after.

  4. Great reading but I’m confused where she says Mike said he did not send them. Now he’s been dead so what makes her think it’s him? It could be a stalker. Please explain OP, thank you.??

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top