Advertisement
Please wait...

Reflections



Estimated reading time — 7 minutes

A few years ago I lived in a small college town in the mountains. I and a few friends had this nice set up where we all lived in the same house, not like a rental or anything, but a house one of us had in our family. It was a new house, built around 2004 or so, but I think I remember hearing that there were some tenants renting out the place before we moved in, a fraternity or something. In random places throughout the house, you could still find their Greek letters drawn into the rafters or in some small obscure place under the sink. In a way, I appreciated that they had left those small letters around. A kind of a way to mark that they had been there, that the house held importance to them as well as it would to us.

When we moved in in the summer of 2009, it was barren. No furniture to speak of, no food or shampoo bottles, the little things that over time make a house a home. We were able to wrangle together a small couch, beds for each of us, and stocked the place with some summer provisions to hold us over until our financial aid refund dispersed in the fall.

As we explored the house, we found that one of the previous tenants had left a light bulb in one of the upstairs bedrooms. We flicked the light switch and the room was flooded with this red light. My friend, I’ll call her Olivia, made a grimace at the light and I followed in suit, then we both started to laugh. It was creepy and unsettling, but nothing horrifying. It was kind of funny, actually, that the only thing left there for us was this red light bulb in the bedroom. We joked, and for a few months, we called it the Murder Room.

Advertisements

My room was directly next to the Murder Room. After some time, the other roommates, I’ll call them Elaina and Lewis, came in to help set things up. However, Lewis and Olivia both had summer jobs back home, so Elaina and I settled in for the next three months of relative isolation. She had the room directly down the hall from me, with the bathroom between us in the hall.
One weekend, Elaina went down to see Lewis and left me to the house by myself. If you’ve ever stayed in a new house or apartment by yourself for a few days, you can understand how creepy it is on your own. But I made it work. I turned on all the lights and watched some Monty Python, Shin Chan, any sort of ridiculous comedy I could think of to lighten the mood.

As I sat on the couch downstairs, I figured that I was up for a little scare. I mean, sometimes scaring yourself is a ton of fun, and hey, I didn’t need to be up in the morning for anything. So I gathered my courage and popped in a copy of Paranormal Activity. After maybe the second act, I decided that, no, I was in fact not up for a little scare. I switched it off and went back to Monty Python.

About halfway through the second episode of the night, a piercing noise began to screech through the empty house. I jumped up from my seat and looked around in a mild panic. For no reason whatsoever, all of the fire alarms in the house started going off at once. They were in perfect sync, alarms in stereo, and I ran into the kitchen to see if I had forgotten some food I had started cooking earlier that night. The stove was bare.

I looked around, trying to find the source of the alarm, but there was no smoke anywhere in the house. Then, just as they had started, they stopped. Jarred, but with apparently nothing else to investigate, I went back to the living room and resumed watching my shows.

About a half hour later, the alarms rounded again, this time not quite as in sync as before. Fueled by paranoia and thoroughly impressed by what I had seen in Paranormal Activity, I ran over and grabbed a pool stick from the corner of the room. You know. To fight demons. Then, the alarms stopped again.

Deciding that I was done with the nonsense, I switched off the TV and went upstairs to bed. I brought the pool stick with me. You know. To fight demons. I slept with it in my bed that night. The alarms never went off again.

Advertisements

When Elaina came home, I had told her about what had happened, and she laughed it off. She said that the batteries were probably all dying, and the alarms were going off to alert us to that fact. I smiled and agreed that that was probably what had happened. But it was odd. All of the alarms going off at the same time would mean that the batteries had to have been put into all of the alarms at the exact same time as well. And wouldn’t they continue to alarm throughout the night? I don’t know. Honestly, I haven’t been around smoke detectors so intimately, so I wouldn’t know if that was the case. Still, it was creepy.

That house had a creepy air in it for a while, until we managed to paint the rooms and make it our own. But we were fools, and watched horror movies all night and so whether through psychology or actuality, the house retained its creepy aura.

It didn’t help that that was also the summer that I had discovered what a creepypasta was. That was also when the first season of Marble Hornets was in full swing. You know, when it was good. I watched a few episodes and ran down the hall, yelling, “Elaina! Slenderman is coming to get you!” She would yell back, “Fuck you! I hate you!” and it was all good fun.

About a month later, maybe around the end of July, I started reading things about mirrors. It was also around this time that I had read the Tulpa, a really good creepypasta, if you haven’t read it I recommend it. Anyway, I decided, on a whim, to try to scare myself again. I got a full body mirror, set it up against the wall (the wall I shared with the Murder Room mind you) and I stared at the reflection. The mirror seemed to be steady enough, so I decided that it was time to experiment.

I had read people daring others on /x/ to do this. You set up a mirror, turn off all the lights and close the door, and just stare at your reflection. Seemed harmless enough. No bogus bloody Mary chant, no flicking the lights on and off, just sit and stare. So I did. I turned off the lights, sat down, and stared.

Advertisements

It was weird at first, just sitting and looking at yourself. But I sat steadily, and stared at my own reflection with a blank face. I moved slightly to one side, and of course my reflection followed me. But then I just sat there. Still as a stone. And I stared.

I looked directly into my reflection’s eyes. The pupils widened, as my own did to adjust to the darkness. I mean, everyone had always said I had beautiful eyes, so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. But I sat there. Silently and still.

About 15 minutes passed. We were still. And it was then that I thought my mind had started to play tricks on me. My arm would twitch, and I would see the reflection move before I had registered that I had twitched. I knew that I was in control, but it didn’t stop my mind from wandering.

I was a little uncomfortable the way I was sitting, so I adjusted myself, and the reflection followed my lead. But, after I had stopped moving, it was a little like he kept moving his feet, just a little, barely perceivable. I stayed there and stared. A few times, I broke eye contact to examine the reflection, to see if anything was off, and I could have sworn that it never took its eyes off of me. I couldn’t be sure though, because when I looked back at the face, it was staring at me, just as it should have been.

My attention shifted to the mouth. I knew I wasn’t making an expression, but it almost seemed like the reflection had the slightest frown, the kind of frown you make when you’re forced to be around people you don’t like. As I watched, the reflection’s head tilted, just a little, and my eyes darted back to meet its eyes. Nothing. No movement other than my own again.

I was growing uncomfortable. Animals will sometimes stare down their foes, making eye contact as a sort of challenge. They wait for the other to make the first move. I thought about what might happen if I moved. Would the reflection lash out against the glass, ready to strike? I knew it wouldn’t but I still didn’t want to move. My mind wandered to the other possibility. What if it moved first?

Advertisements

There are some very old superstitions about mirrors. Some say that it is bad luck to catch sight of your reflection while sitting by candlelight. Some traditions hold that any mirrors in a room where someone has recently died must be covered so that their soul would not become trapped behind the glass. One of the most common beliefs, though, is that to see one’s reflection, you see your own soul.

I couldn’t shake the notion that whatever this was I was seeing could not be my soul. It just seemed too foreign, and it seemed to be growing more hostile. Something about it was wrong. I decided that I had had enough of it, and I stood up to turn on the lights and rejoin my friend down the hall. As I stood, I dared not break eye contact. As I got to my feet, I thought, who is really moving, who is reacting.

I turned on the light, and I sighed in relief. I slowly turned the mirror around to face the wall, and there it stayed. In the back of my mind, I wondered if the reflection ever came back, looking for me again only to see the blank wall it was now facing.

School came back into session not too long after that. Friends came back and life resumed as normal. A few years later, it came time for me to move out. As I packed up my belongings, I intentionally left the mirror for last. While I was downstairs, Elaina called to me from the window, and asked if I was going to take it. I came back upstairs to grab the last object, and as I turned it around, I froze. The mirror was cracked. A long, thin crack, across the lower half of the mirror, right where I had been sitting those years ago.

I smiled and told her she could keep it.

Credit To – Delta Thrace

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

29 thoughts on “Reflections”

  1. Hey, liked your story! I liked the part about using a pool cue to fight demons. The thing about seeing your soul is “real” because I did it once. I was looking myself in the eye when doing something in the mirror, and the best way to describe the creepy thing that happened was that I “saw me”. I had a hard time looking myself in the eye for quite some time, afterwards. Don’t know if I saw a soul, but I definitely saw something you don’t normally get in touch with. Wish something had become of the red lightbulb. That’s the only real problem. It was just extraneous information.

  2. Pool stick to, ya know, fight demons. Perfecto. This saved your pasta many times over like finding meatball bites in your spaghetti. :D

  3. This Was Actually A Good Pasta To Me, Minimal Flaws, Besides The Creepypasta inside The Creepypasta. 8/10

  4. I agree this is a very bad pasta. I mean the ending didnt make sense and the crack in the mirror was just dumb. Also recommending a creepypasta is just wrong okay. Also along with another commenter i think we all know /x/ is refering to 4chan which is the breeding ground for trolls. 2/10. The only thing that was good was the sudpense and it dudnt even build up except for a little when he was in the dark with the mirror.

  5. It was a good story overall but I think its like you had an idea started and then just through it away

  6. I’m still wondering how a house you moved into in 2009 that was built in 2004 and used to be a fraternity house was ever passed down through someone’s family.

  7. I thought the story was good, though i think the stuff with the fire alarms was sorta… Weird. It had really nothing to do with the story. Everything Else was good, especially the bits of humor! Creepypastas are usually a little bit too dark in my opinion but. Creepypasta, dark stuff :D
    8/10

  8. I liked it. It made me laugh in the beginning and drew me in before starting to get creepier and creepier. I wondered ‘oh man what’s with those fire alarms’ and then ‘oh man he’s looking in a mirror what will happen?’ granted nothing of the alarms or murder room and the mirror traced back to each other but the fact that nothing happened besides a scary crack in a mirror you sort of did something creepy in make it all the more creepier if even for a split second like ‘Wait…does something supernatural really exist?’ If it happened in real life it would make me question it. Its a subtle and quick creepy we soon brush off as nothing more than our imagination. Until we think back on it again….

  9. Joe smile of insane smile

    THEN WHO WAS CRACK

    The story itself wasn’t bad. It clearly had more potential then what you gave us. You had me goin until I realized the “murder room” and the alarms goin off had nothing to do with the plot. It’s almost like you had an idea but scraped it half way through.Try to edit out the plot points leading no where or else it just becomes useless padding that the reader will question at the end. Not too bad all in all.

    6/10

    I won’t even comment on the creepypasta within a creepypasta.

  10. So, in a house in which a room has a red light bulb, and when one night alarms go off without a reason, a guy looks at his own reflection in a dark room (how does he see the reflection if the lights are off, BTW?), and nothing happens, except a few year laters the mirror is found out to be cracked, and more nothing happens. Sorry, what is the point?
    And also, the most unbelievable thing I ever read in a creepypasta: someone able to watch Paranormal Activity and not fall asleep halfway through. :-|

  11. Too many irrelevant details that kept disconnecting me from the basis of the story; particularly in the first paragraph. Why mention that you lived in a mountain town if you weren’t going to expound on it and describe the mountainous region and how you felt about it to set the creepy tone for the body of your pasta?

    Why devote a paragraph to a red light bulb left by former tenants that really had no influence on events because you never mention it again in connection with the ‘haunted’ mirror?

    As been stated in other comments, why mention ‘creepypasta’ when all you’re going to do is remind the reader that they are in fact reading a creepy pasta, thus disrupting the illusionary flow of your tale?

    Don’t mean to come across as sounding Draconian, but a good horror story needs atmosphere and the ability to retain that spooky atmosphere so that the reader remains engaged throughout.

    1. THANK YOU!! I’ve been making comments like this on different pastas for weeks now. It seems the new style of “writing” on here is to provide as much irrelevant detail as possible for no discernible reason. Like you said, what was the purpose of mentioning the red light/murder room? Or the smoke alarms? Or the secluded mountain town? NONE of them had a thing to do with the story. So many pastas lately have two pages worth of filler just for the sake of having filler. This, in my mind, detracts from the story. Some of the creepiest and scariest stories I’ve ever read were no more than a page or two long. Does everyone remember “Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark” from when we were kids? I can remember most of those stories to this day, and the longest one was maybe 3 pages. I’ve read stories on here that were 4 or 5 pages long, and forgot them ten minutes later. As I’ve said numerous times, it’s all about QUALITY, not QUANTITY. I wish I could post this on the main page so aspiring writers will stop giving us 2 pages worth or irrelevant details.

  12. I agree with everybody. The way you built the tension was great, and I love the little bits of humor like the poolstick “to fight demons”. But it never went anywhere. Maybe if he had touched the mirror and thought he felt fingers touching his, and THEN discovered it was cracked right where his and his reflection’s fingers touched?

    Also, it’s really annoying when writers mention creepypasta.com in a creepypasta. Totally pulls the reader out of it.

  13. Eh. The unrelatedness of the fire alarms threw me off… As did the crack in the mirror. And never, ever, ever, ever mention a creepypasta in a creepypasta. SO… yeah, I’m going to stick with eh.. Great try! I would keep attempting to write if I were you :)

  14. You broke one of the rules! Never mention Creepypasta in a creepypasta.

    Now that that’s out of my system, I am deathly afraid of mirrors. I hate them, so the fact that this doesn’t bother me is troubling. Nothing bad really happens, the best part of your story is the suspense you build. I think you can use your skill of writing to really creepy us out, just keep writing. This is a very good start.

  15. This was a bad first pasta from my break from creepypasta. It dragged on and hit a lot of the pasta cliches. It didn’t have bad suspense, in fact that is one of the only good parts. Yet the suspense never builds anywhere. What is the crack suppose to mean. The ending was rather confusing. And maybe this is just for me but, don’t talk about creepypasta in a creepypasta; especially don’t recommend one in the middle.
    4/10
    Weak sauce, the noodles not cooked long enough, and the last bite was the worst.

  16. Taking merely the text, this would seem like more or less your average pasta – a bit formulaic, a bit weak in its commitment to its own world; the nods to pasta- and pop-culture as well as the seemingly self-aware use of tropes and clichés somehow took me out of the flow. The climax is deftly handled, though.

    All that said, I found the video version of this much more convincing. The author seems to have written the story with a particular (his own) voice and delivery in mind and as a video/audio-pasta this worked beautifully. Very well done!

    1. Same here. Mentioning “Creepypasta” makes the whole story unconvincing. And mentioning /x/, which obviously means 4chan, deprives the story of all possible relevance because, as we all know, 4chan is the breeding grounds for trolls.
      Moreover, the narrator, with his constant blab about the creepy aura, gives an impression of a person easy to manipulate. These type of people have no difficulty in convincing themselves that there are paranormal things going on around them when there are actually none. Hallucinations are quite common among them too, thus the schizophrenia with the reflection moving on its own.
      You can even find these people in the comments section of this website. They often say that a strange noise happened, something fell or they shat themselves when the phone rang or someone entered while they were reading a story here.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top