Advertisement
Please wait...

Observe



Estimated reading time — < 1 minute

Take a look around and observe your surroundings. Where are you right now? Are you sitting inside of a dark room? Is there anyone else with you? Are you all alone? Most sources indicate that a majority people read tales of horror by themselves. Something about this genre and medium compel you to experience it in a quiet room, all alone. But why is this? Why subject yourself to fright in solitude? What compels you to purposely scare yourself, to fill your mind with visions of the grotesque and supernatural?

Do you enjoy feeling a sense of, what some deem as, “paranoia”? What thrill can come from becoming suspicious of that shadow moving in the corner of your eye? That shadow that you think “isn’t anything”. Listen closely; is there a noise you hear that was or wasn’t there all along? Take a look around. Is there anything you didn’t notice originally? Is there something different? Is something out of place? That feeling on the back of your neck: is it your imagination or is it just too faint to pin-point?

When you read you expand the limitations of your mind. Clear of auditory and visual distractions, it can push your consciousness to perceive at levels you do not normally reach. The longer you read, the more you become aware. Maybe of things you thought weren’t there. There is a reason why your brain would block out these sensations. No one can be sure why. Maybe your mind is warning you. Maybe there are things you weren’t meant to see. Things you didn’t realize were there. Things that cannot be unseen. Things you cannot forget. Things that shouldn’t be.

Advertisements

Take a look around.

Advertisements

Credit To – crazelord91

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

22 thoughts on “Observe”

  1. I know this is probably the ol’ paranoia, but I hit the random button and this story loaded. I got up to put my dog out before I read it. When I came back, I noticed a Taco Bell cup sitting on the table next to me. I’ve been sitting here all day, and I do not remember that cup being here. I shook it off. My older brother works at Taco Bell. The cups aren’t weird to find. Then, I read this story and I kind of want to throw the cup out a window or something now. I realise that Taco Bell cups are not what the author had in mind, but it was still really weird.

  2. Underwood:
    Sure it is, but it’s also three individual words mashed together without hyphens. It’s like smashing a phrase together and calling it a word like, ‘onceinawhile’ or ‘tothestore’. Even though nevertheless is in the dictionary that way, it still looks totally ridiculous, especially when regardless can be used in its place. Maybe it’s just my peeve then, but I’ve always had weird qualms with the way words are used and put together.

    Commenting on a year old story because comments like these are one of MY pet peeves. :P

    If you knew that he was right (and you weren’t just trying to save face), you must have a massive ego to correct him anyway. Fair enough if it’s a pet peeve, you don’t have to use it yourself, but when you KNOW that it’s right and you still go out of your way to ‘correct’ people and insist that it’s wrong, you’re basically saying that the whole English-speaking world needs to conform to your ridiculous preferences. That’s not at all what it means to be a Grammar Nazi. That’s just being a jerk.

    Anyway, pretty cool post. Not the most interesting or original read, but it was well written NONETHELESS, and like Mr.Major said, it does a good job of setting the mood for other submissions.

  3. D:
    Anon, you would be correct if you spelled it right. Nice try, though.

    Actually, he IS right. Nonetheless is indeed one word. I suppose one could use the term in its less appealing, fragmented version, but it doesn’t look right to the eye. Just because Anon had a small spelling fault in his argument, doesn’t mean he’s wrong. Look it up and think before replying, good sir. :)

    Interesting creepypasta, by the way. Didn’t quite send a chill down my spine, but it was intriguing..

  4. I agree with the other people that commented saying that there are many other stories written in this way. However, I did look up from my computer and jump because I thought the towel hanging off of my bed post was a person. Mission accomplished.

  5. I really liked it. I didn’t find it “creepy” per-se, but it sets the perfect atmosphere to inspire reading more pastas. Maybe it even inspires some new ones…

  6. This pasta has a great idea, and I think it could be something special with just a little editing. In my opinion, (nothing you have to take into consideration; just trying to be helpful!) I feel that this story would be more intense if the things we may notice in our seclusion are described in more detail. That way, they’ll really send a chill down our spine. Also, maybe the setting could be slightly different. Personally, I do tend to read horror in the setting you described, but I also read it any time of the day, when i’m bored or just wanting some horror. So perhaps you could broaden the setting in which the reader is experiencing these feelings and sensations of things in the dark. Hope this helps. :3

  7. I thought it was perfect, and I don’t say that often. Original? Maybe not, but it encapsulates the idea of a creepy pasta. Short, to the point, not over explained and it does give a sense of foreboding and dread. It does what you wanted it to, and it does it well. You have a very firm grasp on the short-story format, which is hard to do, and I hope you keep writing. We need more writers like you here.

    1. “None the less” is not one word.

      *end grammar-Nazi rant*

      You are not alone, it pops up all over, and maybe it is just a little picky of me :)

        1. Sure it is, but it’s also three individual words mashed together without hyphens. It’s like smashing a phrase together and calling it a word like, ‘onceinawhile’ or ‘tothestore’. Even though nevertheless is in the dictionary that way, it still looks totally ridiculous, especially when regardless can be used in its place. Maybe it’s just my peeve then, but I’ve always had weird qualms with the way words are used and put together.

  8. I think that this is the typical and slightly unoriginal pasta that makes readers of pastas paranoid and maybe slightly uncomfortable through the power of suggestion(suggesting that something could be there) and this pasta will not work so well for those who read pastas once in a while or those who read in groups but good effort to make the reader feel like their perhaps being watched…….7/10 good effort though i got some chills :)

  9. I have read a couple of these kinds of short stories. This one has some originality and forces the reader to do a quick somewhat unsettling self awareness examination. I liked that about this story. I think it could do better with some descriptive examples of what one might perceive if they tried, and why they are better off ignorant instead of simply stating they are better off.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top