Advertisement
Please wait...

My Haunting Past



Estimated reading time — 2 minutes

I’ve always had trouble sleeping at night. Noises have disturbed me my whole life. I found out years ago that I have hypersensitive hearing, picking up all sorts of background noises. They couldn’t fix it; only recommend the obvious techniques to mask the problem. Not that I hadn’t tried these already. Ear muffs, listening to music and even things like meditation. None of it worked. In fact it seemed to make it worse. It made her more desperate.

I hear her most nights. No one else can. Why does she only come to me? There’s always the dread of lying there each night in the dark silence, anticipating when she will come, and when I will hear her again. She usually likes to wait until I’m drifting to sleep, so that I jump back to my senses in fright to the sound of her there.

Most of the time it begins with a faint crying. She tells me that she “wants to make it end.” I know she’s getting closer to getting me and some nights I can even feel her cold breath in my ear. I can sense when she is lying close beside me in the darkness staring at me, and sometimes she whispers things like “It’s only me,” right into my ear. She’s toying with me, like a cat does to a helpless insect before killing it. The thing is, I could never see her, but it slowly felt like she was becoming more real.

The doctor later informed me that I suffer from schizophrenia. I have been taking medication for a long time but it wasn’t really working. It just made me feel more helpless. It was difficult for a girl as young as me to deal with this. At least now I could accept that she wasn’t real. It was all in my head and there was nothing real to be afraid of. That was until last night…

Last night her presence felt more real than ever. I could hear her whisper, feel the air on my neck and even smell her breath, it was all too realistic to handle. I got so scared that I fell back into my old habit of running through the darkness of the house into my mother’s bed to sleep beside her where I felt safe. Now that I was older, I knew she was hoping I had grown out of this phase, although I had only stopped doing it because it made her sad, and I didn’t want her to be disappointed in me anymore. She was all I had. If I had the choice I would be in there beside her every night without fail.

Advertisements

I knew my mother had been awoken by me, probably more saddened that I had reverted to old ways when she thought the medication had been helping me. But it wasn’t helping; I had just lied all this time to keep her happy and let her sleep in peace. I curled up in bed beside her and began to sob quietly. My mum looked uncomfortable from the noise I had made, and began stirring under the sheets so I whispered into her ear… “It’s only me.” She sat up abruptly, looking anxious. In the darkness I saw her reach over for her cell phone and begin to dial a number. I noticed on the screen that she was calling the doctor.

Advertisements

“The voices I used to hear,” she said. “They’re back…”

Credit To: Jack

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

69 thoughts on “My Haunting Past”

  1. I think the title may hint at who is doing what, but open to interpretation, which is always brilliant.

  2. Much like Devi.l’s pov I believe the story can be taken from a few different perspectives the ones that I had thought in the beginning follow.

    One idea of mine is that the mother is the daughter just grown up and now we see the perspective from an outside being the being that has been whispering into the daughters ears or the mothers ears if you understand what I mean

    Another idea of mine is that the daughter isn’t real but she believes she is so she keeps coming back to her “mother” for comfort much like a ghost but not really sorry for a scattered idea of thoughts I had specific ideas that pushed further away as I was typing but if u understand it is a great idea

  3. This is a great pasta. Who would’ve expected that ending. Keep up the good work.

    I must say this story can be viewed in two ways.

    One the mom passed her voice hearing thing down to the daughter. So they both have it.

    The other way is the daughter isn’t alive. She probably think she’s alive but she’s just an on coming voice that reappears for the mother to hear. That’s why the mom gets depressed when “she crawls into her bed”

  4. Soo… It’s an ambiguous ending? The way I’m understanding it, it’s literally ambiguous. And I love it in the way it is. It’s so clever.

  5. The narrator aka the little girl is an alternate personality of who she describes as her mom. She’d managed to stay away because she knew it made her mom (really herself) sad. In the end here though the alternate personality, the little girl/narrator, returns to the mom because she’s scared. I think she’s portrayed as a little girl because that’s the age she developed schizophrenia and that personality never aged.

  6. The ending is highly left to interpretation… Was It that the mother’s schizophrenia was hereditary? Or the little girl and mom are the same person and it’s a memory coming back to haunt her? Time traveling child from the future? Actual ghost leaving the mom to haunt the child instead? Full Shyamalan indeed! I’ve read this pasta many times and each time I come to different conclusions… Is this the real life?

  7. ohh… for a second there, i thought that the daughter didnt exist or something, like shes all crying to her mom and the mom knows she never had a daughter. like the ghost thinks its her mom, eh. nvm

  8. Here’s what I got of it: the narrator is portrayed as a young girl hearing voices and taking medication that isn’t really suppressing anything. In actuality, the ‘daughter’ is a voice heard by the woman (‘mother’) who had thought her medication was working (because the ‘daughter’ was staying in her own bed and not coming to her ‘mother’ in the night), but ultimately did not solve the problem. The voice/daughter is telling a tale of her troubles with hearing voices which reflect the woman/mother’s own.

  9. The Chicken and the Egg

    In conclusion, the kid’s her own mother who’s now dead and haunting herself. The internet just imploded; good fuckin’ work.

  10. Some fascinating pasta right there. Can’t wrap my head around it. Could you be toying with the concept of time travel a little? Or perhaps something simpler like she’s talking to herself? Whatever the case, a damn good read! 10 from me.

  11. Jack- I have to say this, and I hope you see it. You are a fantastic writer. Hands down, you are by-far one of my more “favorite”, if you will, writers on this sight. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that your writing is fantastic (I can’t stress it enough) and I hope to read more stories from you in the future. Thank you so much for sharing your talent on this site! -Cora

    PS. Please don’t so Slenderman….

  12. My god that was thrilling! I love love loved it! And for those confused by it, it meant that the woman was real. The one who whisperd in the boys ear. The mother used to hear her too. But she left her alone and tormented the kid. When the kid came to the mother to feel safe and whispered to her what the creature lady whispered to him “It’s only me,” the mother reacted thinking that the woman she was convicned was in her head was back. All around yummy :)

  13. My thought: the little girl witch scitsophrenia is the hallucination of the mother, the diagnose of the child is mirror of the mothers, so the mother haves a hallusination that haves hallusinations, perhaps infinite loop that we read a part of?

  14. Wait..So what I think is that the whole story was from the mother’s perspective and she was telling about her past. Then it either swithed to the other girl’s perspective near the end or it stayed on the mother’s and that was the ghost girl she used to hear. Of that makes sence

      1. Weirdly enough, they do indeed. I’ve seen some of my kitties do it before after they’ve batted and swatted and conquered their prey. Pretty gross lol blegh

  15. Relating to the ending of this pasta, here’s my opinion. We’re told in the story that our main character has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, which is an illness creating hallucinations in the mind. In my opinion, our the small girl hearing the noises and the girl at the end are the same people. She’s hearing the hallucinations she used to hear when she was young, but she’s only hallucinating herself as a child again.

  16. When it said “my mother had been awoken by me..” it’s kind of like she could have been her daughter that died or something. When the doctor says she has schizophrenia it could be because of that. Idk if I make sense lol but great pasta!

  17. I saw this as being haunted by a loving kid you will have in the future. who is also being haunted… if that makes sense

    1. it meant that the woman was real. The one who whispers in the boys ear. The mother used to hear her too. But she left her alone and tormented the kid. When the kid came to the mother to feel safe and whispered to her what the creature lady whispered to him “It’s only me,” the mother reacted thinking that the woman she was convinced was in her head was back

  18. Ohhhhhh I think I get it. The woman who woke up at the end was actually the little girl, but older right? The title is “My haunting past” and she was actually just having a dream about her past. Right? I don’t even know if I made sense.

  19. That ending was really well done. It was nice to read this after reading stories that you knew what was going to happen after the 1st sentence. Now to find a story with a creature that doesn’t have “eyes like the abyss”

  20. Seems to me an abundance of people not understanding this story means you should probably write more clearly next time.

    1. It’s not difficult to comprehend, it’s well written. It’s not the author’s fault that some people need everything spelled out for them.

  21. I love the connection between mother and daughter, and the fact that it made the whole thing so much creepier. Very well executed in my opinion 9/10.

    1. The little girl is the narrator, and she hears voices of some “ghost” girl, and they torment her, we are to understand that the “ghost” says “its only me” to the little girl, but when she runs to her mothers room again, and repeats the phrase, we find out the mother had the same experiances and was tormented by the “ghost” but it may have been passed to her daughter. Hope that clears things up
      Ps. I diddnt write it, thats just my understanding.

  22. WhatisthisWinter

    HOLY CRAP THAT WAS GOOD! My gosh, that was a good ending… Bricks were shat, and I gave you 10 out of 10 stars. Damned good pasta.

  23. Oh god how I loved that, the ending confused me just a little though. So did the little girl, who’s now older, hear voices… or was this from the mothers perspective the whole time? Besides that it was excellent. XD

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top