Advertisement
Please wait...

Margarine



Estimated reading time — 2 minutes

We look up at the sky every day. Usually it’s blue or black; sometimes orange or yellow. Sometimes it’s not there at all.

It happens about twice a month but it’s been more frequent lately. We’re not too worried about it though, it hasn’t harmed anyone yet- with the exception of the planes that went missing the first day it happened. But planes don’t fly anymore, and I’m sure we’ll find them soon.

When the sky disappears, it’s replaced by a thick substance that hangs about ten feet above everything, much like a thick fog. I guess you could call it a fog, but it’s not all gas. It’s thicker, and sometimes it feels almost solid- but it’s rare that you hit one of those patches. In the beginning, people would climb onto stacks of boxes and anything else they could find to run their fingers through it. Folks don’t do it much anymore though, we treat it now as any cloudy day. It always goes away after a few days.

Advertisements

There’s only two strange things to me about this, but I don’t mind it much. The first is that the “sky” is a color that I’ve never seen before. Hell, no one has ever seen it. I’m not quite sure how to describe it; how can you describe a color no one has ever seen? It’s a darker color, no official name and people call it whatever they please. I call it Margarine after my late wife. She sure was a color of her own.

The second thing I find queer about it is the quality of the air on days like this. If you’ve ever been a little too close to a fire, you know how this feels. Breathing gets a bit harder and there’s a heavy smoke bite to it. It’s not too bad but I have to consciously breathe a little more each day it’s here. It must just be my age, I’m no spring chicken.

Advertisements

You would think something like this would get everyone’s ears perked and panic showing but really nothing has changed. The government isn’t doing much, neighbors go about their business and the local weather station tries to predict when the next day like this will be. They never get it right but no one minds, it’s always a nice surprise.

Advertisements

I find myself wishing for days like this, the normal sky unsettles me now. I feel calm when all I can see is the Margarine, not much else seems to matter anymore. It’s been here about four days now and the air is getting smokier and it gets closer to my reach every morning. My breathing is a little more labored each day but it’s ok. I’m sure it’ll go away soon.

Credit To – A.M.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

40 thoughts on “Margarine”

  1. Your wife was named after a soft, butter-flavored modified plastic? Really?
    I’m fairly certain that Margarine is not an actual human name.

  2. I have no idea why I like this story, but I do. I guess it’s because no one can honestly say they wouldn’t be creeped out if some pseudo-fog of an impossible color randomly appeared and caused planes to disappear like a Bermuda Triangle of the sky.

    Actually, the author should have played on that angle. Margarine should show up every few days/weeks/months and cause something to disappear before it leaves. Like one day it might take a plane, another day it takes a building, and one day it even takes Miley Cyrus (thank God). That would’ve made it an awesome story.

    But I definitely give this a 7.5 for helping my imagination run wild while still having a minor creep factor <3

    1. i don’t know. what was the point of you reading this wonderful story and hating on it? i wonder if you people are actually going to school/went to school.

      1. I think that it’s set in a sort of war, the author says that this fog falls every once in a while and they treat it as any normal cloudy day, but I think it’s slowly killing everyone who is breathing it in, no one takes notice because as far as they are aware this fog is harmless. That’s the jist I got from it anyway.

  3. Omg its Margarine! Like eeeeeeen! Not the butter substitute margarine. Spelled the same, pronounced different. Name: Margareeeene Food: margariiiiiiiin. I liked the story. Its like a pre apocalyptic story.

  4. This was quite spooky to me except the fact no-one seems to be bothered by the mysterious fog. There would be scientists following it around trying to find out where it’s coming from and environmental impact. They would want/need to know if it was man made or natural. Maybe small towns go about their business but would the fog stop big money sports events. I really think there needed to be more substance to this, even though I do like it. The premise is there though, I’d like an expansion.

  5. I thought maybe this was going to be an “end of the world” type of pasta, but then it ended. I feel that it was undercooked. Moar story please! :)

  6. No…it doesn’t make sense the more you read it. It’s still an ambiguous story about…some sort of air pollution that’s an indescribable (and therefore unimaginable) color with a name that doesn’t match the non-description given to it.

  7. I think i get it. The smoke is death, something no one has ever seen. A lightweight thing, but is also solid and can hang over anybody. Everyday, the death gets closer and no one realises it

  8. I like the idea of the story, that is, a looming, semi-solid fog that is making things dissapear, killing everyone slowly and making no one care. To me, the idea of something killing you that causes you to be complacent about your death is fairly creepy. I imagine that it creates a color no one has seen because it messes with the perception of everyone effected. However, I can’t help but imagine a gooey layer of ‘I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter’ over everything.

  9. I thought it was great. This is what short story form and Creepy Pastas are supposed to be. Short and not burdened with too much filler. The implications made it creepier than it would have been if it were cluttered.

  10. I love a good, vague piece that requires a little bit of critical thinking. However, being vague just for the sake of being vague is pointless to me. It seems like you spent to much time thinking:

    “Gee, how can I baffle the reader with complex structure and above average vocabulary?”

    Rather than thinking:

    “How can I make my piece a memorable, enjoyable experience for a reader looking for a chilling short story?”

    I digress but one has to keep in mind that unexplained, vague stories have their place, just don’t force it because you desperately want to give off a mysterious vibe.

  11. I can’t get past “hangs about ten feet above everything”. So it hangs ten feet from the ground? But loads of people live higher than 10 feet above ground. And what about land with hills? Does it mimic the rise and fall of its surroundings?

  12. Huh…most of the major issues have been pointed out. Except how would world air traffic just stop, and the government isn’t interested.

    If this happened the gov’t would be ALL OVER it.

  13. Ok, pretty weird and, well, f%#$ed up really.
    Actually, I sort of like it.
    The world is pretty much ending and… nobody cares.
    (To those who don’t get what I mean: If it’s getting closer and harder to breath we’ll die.)

  14. Is this about smog//haze? Because it seems like it. Air pollution pasta, hahaha. It makes sense, minus the color bit. The sky ‘disappears’ and the air becomes thick and hard to swallow. I don’t know. Just a thought

  15. I guess my problem with this piece is that…

    It isn’t scary.

    The writing is fine, no complaints from me there. I think you put together a nice little micro-fiction piece with its own subtle message and vibe, but that is where I drawn the line in the sand.

    Also, the character names the “fog” after his late wife Margarine…

    Margarine isn’t dark. I know you weren’t saying that the sky became butter, but I pictured a yellowish haze (as anyone would with the title). Having said that… there is nothing wrong with the “fog” being yellow-ish! I though it made the narrative a little more interesting! And then you use the cliche’ “it was dark” descriptor, which causes a disconnect with the brain’s immediate color association.

    All in all, it wasn’t a bad piece. Just a bad pasta.

  16. You mean the sky turned into that stuff that’s not really butter but sort of pretends to be?
    Shit, we’re toast.

    1. The “name” of the color ruined it for me. I couldn’t help but imagine everything covered in butter (thought it was a Parodypasta at first).

  17. I think i understand this but I don’t know. Is it symbolic? Like he’s dying and as it gets closer he’s closer to death? Or am i over thinking it? Haha

    1. I get the same feeling, but the fact that everyone can see and feel it makes me think otherwise. But then there is the theory that he could be the only “real” person in the world, and everyone else is just part of his mind. That would give credence to the death idea. As he slowly dies, the universe collapses. On the bad days, he gets the cloud.

  18. How is it possible to see a new color? Isnt there this famous picrure of how light makes the color and then theres a rainbow kinda thingy there

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top