Advertisement
Please wait...

March 2014 Discussion Post: Favorite Fictional Character



Estimated reading time — < 1 minute

One frequent discussion in the comments both here and over at Crappypasta is what, exactly, makes a good character. Some people seem to eschew any detail about the character’s traits or life, preferring them to be a blank slate for the reader to imagine as their own proxy within the story. Others like characters to be their own developed beings, not necessarily needing them to be a vehicle for the reader’s self-insert. With such different views causing people to bicker back and forth about which details and writing POVs are acceptable, I thought it might be helpful for any aspiring writers if we had a discussion about fictional characters that we love.

Don’t limit yourselves just to horror or even solely books. Comics, movies, games, whatever – tell us who your absolute favorite fictional character is, and then tell us WHY. What about that character hooked you? What tactics did the creator(s) of said character use in order to make you care enough about this fictional entity that you would choose them as your all-time favorite? Go in depth if you want, but please at least give us some reasoning behind your choice – simply naming your favorite isn’t really what we’re looking for here.

Advertisements

Have fun, and I look forward to reading your answers!

Advertisements
Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

78 thoughts on “March 2014 Discussion Post: Favorite Fictional Character”

  1. I honestly don’t like to pick favorites, but if I had to pick one fictional character that stuck out to me more than any other, I would definitely have to go with Boogiepop. She has taught me so many lessons. In the anime, it’s really hard to figure out whether she’s a good guy or a bad guy, but after I watched the anime all the way through, I realized she’s kind of both. That’s one thing I like about her. She taught me that it’s ok to be a bad guy and a good guy at the same time. She also sees the world as it truly is in the anime, instead of how everyone else wants the world to be seen. She taught me that it’s ok to see the world in a different way. She’s a really great character and if you haven’t seen the anime Boogiepop Phantom I highly recommend it.

  2. Ticci Toby is definitely my favourite CreepyPasta character, because I can relate to him and I guess I’ve just always had a thing for schizophrenics.

  3. Michael Woolnough

    My favorite fictional character is between two choices. If you have ever seen House Two: The Second Story, you may be familiar with Bill the Electrician/Adventurer. His nonchalant discovery of an inter-dimensional portal, while doing some wiring, and his rational response in assembling a sabre from his tool-box is one of my favorite scenes ever. He calmly goes from explaining the wiring faults to describing the Aztec/Mayan temple on the other side of the wall. His business card presentation cracks me up.
    My other favorite character is Randall Flagg, aka. The Walking Dude from multiple Stephen King tales. He spans various fictional worlds and represents a separate evil from whatever the main horror is. He is a timeless entity with no origin and serves only his own best interests. He is a nightmare incarnate and a random horror to be avoided.

  4. Kain, the dark vampire lord of Nosgoth from the Legacy of Kain series of video games. I try to explain why with minimal spoilers.

    I like Kain because he is fallible. He’s not your generic ‘bad guy’. As the series goes on he realizes the errors of his ways, and does whatever he has to in order to restore Balance to the world. He’s been both a protagonist AND antagonist throughout the series, and even though he gives of a villainous vibe, he seeks redemption, and that’s downright praiseworthy.

  5. Honestly, I love many Creepypasta characters, along with the victims. They all make the story come alive. So really, I don’t have a main favorite. They’re all exceptionally great.

  6. Well, I’ll separate this into a few categories.

    Creepypasta:

    By far, my favorite Creepypasta character is the black tar creature, which I’ve dubbed “The Slime”, from the recent story “I’m Sure You Understand.” This is because it has a lot of untapped potential, and it’s most definitely possible to give this creature the sort of fame that things like Slenderman, The Rake, or Jeff have.

    Video Games:

    Link, from the Legend of Zelda series. Not only is he clearly a valiant and admirable hero, but he’s also very relatable. For one, he carries the Triforce of Courage. Courage, not to be confused with bravery, means that one still feels the fear assosiated with a situation, but still does what they need to do. Also, as of Skyward Sword, we’ve seen him exhibit quite a few relatable emotions: anger, happiness, fear, etc.

    Comic Books:

    Kyle Rayner, one of the four Human Green Lanterns. Not only is he badass, but he’s also someone who has conquered all odds to do the impossible: have control over all aspects of the emotional spectrum, and, consequently, himself.

    Manga/Anime:

    Rin Okumura, from Ao no Exorcist/Blue Exorcist. Being the son of Satan, everyone expects him to be an enemy, and yet, he continues to fight against his father and other demons, proving to everyone that you should never judge a book by its cover.

    That’s all I can think of, but I think I’ve gotten my point across.

  7. My favorite fictional character is tied because I won’t submit superheroes because those probably pop up on threads like these more than often so I’d probably have to say either Joel from the last of us
    Ellie from the last of us
    Nathan Drake from the Uncharted series
    or
    Dante from the Devil May Cry series

  8. My favorite fictional character is Ulysses from Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road DLC. He is just the most perfect antagonist I have ever seen, and his character is brilliant on all levels. He is teased at in the base game and all the DLC’s, building tension for your confrontation for him. You discover the history him and your character share, the events and places they both witnessed. To say he is the dark version of you is inaccurate, he is a different version of you as he puts it: “Like you, and not like you, in all the ways that matter.” Every word he says is philosophic, cryptic, and filled with deeper meaning. His voice actor is amazing, and a lot of care was out into making him a fantastic alternate protagonist. The final confrontation is amazing, you realize just how similar the two of you are, how easily it could have been you standing beneath that old world flag and him facing you down. No matter what you do, when you return to the Mojave, Ulysses final message is waiting for you. And it is the single most inspiring thing ive ever heard in a video game, bar none. The perfect villain, hero, and anti-hero rolled into one. What more could you want?

  9. I love Erskine Ravel from the Skulduggery Pleasant series. Has anyone read it? It’s brilliant. Erskine Ravel was very funny and charming and the way I imagine him, he’s very handsome.

  10. Sam Whinchester, from Supernatural, is absolutely lovely to me. He’s such a cute moosie.
    And Armin Arliet from SnK, because he has such perfect character development.

  11. CrazyWhovian(from NerdTests)

    My favorite character is…I actually don’t know. Someone from Doctor Who. I love Doctor Who so much!!! I love anyone here who loves Doctor Who too!

  12. Favortie character, all around?

    Emanon, for how much she reminds me of myself.
    Imari Mariel, for….the same reason, but in a different template.

    As for what elements make a ” good character” : It depends.
    It depends on what you’re trying to convey through the story, its tone, the protagonists, their interactions and so on.
    Certain elements will flow better than others against specific circumstances, depending on what kind of impression you’re trying to create; one type of character may suit horror better than suspense, action or drama, but I don’t think an ” absolute good character” can be created.
    You would be trying to please everyone, and , in turn, you would be pleasing no one.

  13. It’s often a toss-up between Marisa Coulter from His Dark Materials, Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty, or Mina Harker from Dracula.

  14. I like the Ben Drowned entity. I know it is old school, but it lets you roam free with your imagination. With the Oculus Rift and such technology being developed, it helped me see the entity as a person from the future. It has nothing to do with the dead boy, I don’t think, but, I imagine Ben as a person who travelled through virtual realities in the future, like everyone else, back to the past. People would use technology as a portal to the virtual dimension and travel back into the past through the technology before the time their world was destroyed and do whatever they pleased. That sounds like an awesome story, don’t you think? And I got all that from just reading one story. I have a very creative imagination. ;) I even thought of making a story like that, but it wouldn’t be creepy enough for CreepyPasta. So, I’ll let this one slide as a comment. Seriously though, you SHOULD do that.

    Or I could make the story, which I might just do. ;D

    Sincerely,
    Grim Gamer

    P.S. Someone should seriously make Ticci Toby or Clockwork vs someone else. XD

  15. Mine would be Feanor from J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Silmarillion. Yeah he’s kind of a jerk and pretty much ruins the lives of all his family and friends, but one can learn a lot about power and pride from him, like that being the most celebrated and talented elf of all time may be more of a curse than a blessing. The Silmarillion actually has a ton of really great characters, I strongly recommend reading it.

  16. Harry Dresden. He’s written as an intelligent and capable person but flawed so very much. The one thing is I identify with the guy. Also you literally cannot beat riding a zombie T-Rex into a massive war of necromancers and wizard cops. That is by and far the most bad-ass thing he is ever done, aside from pulling a Jesus Gambit and destroying a preternatural vampire nation in one night. Just to expound on Dead Beat alone it also mixes a huge “am I insane?” into the plot taking the story into cerebral levels then throwing a zombie T-rex at you followed by mind-switching shenanigans and finally winning the day by socking the baddie in the jaw ala Captain America did to Adolf Hitler.

  17. I would have to say the antagonist from the Penpal series. He seems like someone really evil but at the same time, you just feel sorry for him. Only a great author can come up with something like that.

  18. My favorite fictional character is definitely the cool, suave, and well-mannered… Hannibal Lecter. The character from the original books is the perfect sociopath, polite and well-mannered on the outside, but a twisted monster on the inside. Anthony Hopkins also played Lecter perfectly, only adding to the realism of an insane man hiding in the masses of normal people.
    I also like Pyramid Head from the Silent Hill series. While not given any spoken lines or backstory or even any real purpose, the creature is one of those things whose mere presence is able to make your skin crawl.

  19. My favrote fictional character that was made by someone else is patch from silence creshendo hush hush and finale I lobe him because
    1. He wants to be good
    2. He is like reallllly hawt
    3. He is protective
    4. He is a bad boy
    And my favrote character that I created cause I’m a new writer is Chelsea I love her because sh is strong curious mysterious and sacrifices her life for who she loves (Yha I write tragities I let you love them then kill them sorry)

  20. Most of you won’t know this character, but my favorite is Colbey Calistinsson from Mickey Z. Reichert’s Renshai series. He’s my favorite not just because he’s the ultimate skillful warrior, but because he is a worshipper of the Norse gods. He faces an ultimate dillema though. He wants to die in battle and go to Valhalla, but he’s so good that even though he goes to the heart of combat he survives. Every battle he fights in makes him harder to kill and the cycle continues. Eventually he becomes a God though he doesn’t consider himself one.

  21. My favorite fictional character is Sheldon Cooper! He is my favorite because he is like me in the fact that he doesn’t completely understand human life forms. I am an extremely smart person, just like Sheldon. He is also not afraid to say what is on his mind, no matter how unfiltered his thoughts may be. He has a hard time holding on to human friends, just like me. He does not use slang such as hey, hi, what’s up, or other meaningless balogna. That is why Sheldon Cooper is my favorite fictional character.

  22. My favorte fictional charactr is Yassen Gregorovich from the Alex Rider collection. Although he has a small role in Point Blanc, I loved him already. Then I read Eagle Strike and I cried at the last scene he was in.
    For one part I love the author’s depiction of Yassen’s personality. I’ve read lots of different types of books. I know better authors. But Yassen was really captivating. I loved him as a person, not as a very well developped villain (as you woulf love Bellatrix in Harry Potter, for example).
    Yass’s got a complex psychology and I like his intelligence. What I most love about him is the sort of twist he reveals at the end, which I won’t explain in case someone is tempted to read the books. But hands-down he’s the most moving character to my heart. Even if he was a criminal.

  23. My favorite character of all time is Sherlock Holmes. He’s a clever character and quite complex but at the same time you don’t get every detail of his personality, some of his personality is left a mistery and to me that makes him seem more realistic because when do you ever know everything about someone in real life?

  24. Stefan Rasmussen

    I would have to say Walter White from Breaking Bad: as obvious a choice as it might seem in light of the programme’s enormous success, I do genuinely believe he is one of the best developed, and best written characters in fictional history. He begins his story arc as a complete underdog- a brilliant scientist, and a loving family man, but with barely any respect from the people around him- and his character could have so easily gone on to become a kind of resilient hero, battling with his conscience and his disease in a life-or-death situation, but ultimately doing everything for the greater good and coming out of it all as a good person at heart. And yet, he doesn’t- he’s a human being, and he gets it all wrong, but starts to love his life for that reason, and as a result, becomes more and more morally depraved. And yet, he still cares for his family, and tries to protect them, until the bitter end. Every aspect of his persona is a grey area: there is nothing black and white, and his moral lines are constantly re-drawing themselves. His character is so intricately multi-layered and complex, that watching him on screen is so fascinating- watching to see whose winning under the surface: the bad man or the good man. He represents the battle that all humans have with their morality, but in a situation where he faces death whatever his choice. His journey makes us as an audience question what we would do, and makes us ask ourselves if we would do the same in his shoes, which is an incredibly special response for a fictional character to create. It’s such a rarely brilliant piece of characterisation that, for me, it makes him more memorable than any other fictional character I can think of.

  25. It varies for sure. There aren’t any absolute “right or wrongs.” Some types of characters better a particular situation versus another.
    A blank-slate character might suit a tale with a stronger emphasis on story and less on the development of the protagonists, while a psychological thriller may suit a more inward-looking character more.
    There is also the issue of development. If any, how do want your protagonists to come into their own? at what pace and to what end? Is their development an element to the story, or is it simply for the sake of acquiring a crisper image of the vehicle you’re riding?
    Is less an issue of deciding what is a one-piece, fit-all best character, and better looked at in terms of which is the best tool for the job at hand, and why.

  26. Percy Jackson and Darren Shan from The Heroes of Oympus and Cirque Du Freak. Percy because he is probably one of the sweetest characters that fight for his loved ones so much that it becomes his flaw. Darren because he’s like Percy in a way but he’s a little more badass and edgy.

  27. L Lawliet from death note because he is like me with the sweets. He has a good sense of jususe and he gave his life to stop kira. Even though he failed only because light had the help of a god death ( wtf man). Anyway I love not him just for his looks but he funny at the unexpected times of secious ness. He solved crimes all his life . He is misunderstood. And if misa was so in to light she could of see the dreeply human side of L . He may seem starange and odd I love the way he sits. If I met him in real life I would love him so much that I would risk my life every day to help him solve cases . I don care if I die . If it for L I do anything. He is kind and careing. I would love to my hand though his long black hair. RIP L my sweet . Without you I am a lost soul . A flower with no water . A moon with no brightness . RIP L (fan girl cry)

  28. So many people will hate me for this. I just know it. But first some background on what kind of characters I like. I like characters that I can relate with in one way or another. I enjoy these characters not only in books, but in movies, comics, video games, and even t.v. shows. So now that being said, (hate me time) my favorite character will undoubtably be Dark Divine.

    Now, I know what you’re thinking, (yes, I can hear thoughts) “You can’t have your favorite character be your own OC’s. Yes, I can. And here’s why. I most certainly relate to them. I know what they’ll do in each and every situation they face, and why they’ll do it. Now, some of you are thinking “Well they ARE you.” And if you’re thinking that you have never played an RPG game EVER. When you make an OC, you don’t just draw up yourself. You draw up an exaggerated version of yourself. And if your really in depth, you’ll draw up a world to base them in. Give them strengths and weaknesses. Put them in a situation that makes them completely lose what they know, makes them let someone they care about or some else they know down, or even straight up fail. Because THAT is what defines people, that moment where everything is going to hell, and you get forced to make decisions.

    Now, after all those reasons I’ll give you a brief synopsis on the character. He was an aspiring horror writer who goes to a nondescript high school. He doesn’t really talk much, but he has very good grades. He has been expelled for “unstated reasons” and always carries a little black book with him to write down his ideas. He has good grades, and is picked on from tim to time. When ever anyone looks inside his black book, he kills them, he hunts them down and rather enjoys chasing them, but always shows pity and regret before murdering his victims. He often says things like “Sorry it had to be this way,” or “Too bad, I was enjoying our time together,” even to the point of apologizing about their demise. He doesn’t relish killing his victims like other murderers (Jeff) He enjoys the thrill of the chase, and relishes causing mass paranoia in his will be victims. He makes them feel secluded by locking them away from society for days to even weeks on end. But he has never been caught. He always wears a mask and a long jacket he can use any kind of weapon, but is partial to things that are easily hidden. A small knife or even, a random branch. He has a cousin who used to go to his old school who recently died by being locked in a freezer and having her lips sown shut.

    Now this is obviously a exaggeration of my “dark” side, (or is it?) but this is still one of my favorite OC’s to this day. If you still have questions, or just want to throw your word in, then feel free to reply. (Although, you were going to do that already weren’t you?)

  29. I actually like several characters. but my top favorite is tied between Ticci Toby and Hannibal. I can relate really well to Toby and sometimes that scares me if I think about it too long. I could actually see myself looking into the mirror one day to see him staring back at me from the other side. I’m not a humanist, but I honestly believe he is a good kid. He’s just got messed up and that was inevitable. I also like Hannibal Lector because he is truly intelligent and is worthy of being an icon. He allows himself to get caught just to serve his plan. He is Manipulative, Smart, Insane, and he is a gentleman to the public eye. He knows what to do and When and How. That is why he is so dangerous. Unlike most icons (Jason, Mike Myers, Krueger), he isn’t a slack jawed, knuckle dragging one track or just some guy with a vengeance plan. He is complex and interesting and I would be honored to speak with him. Toby and Lector are great characters and are TOTALLY notable. Look them up if you don’t know who they are because you wont regret it. I didn’t.

  30. My favorite character is Roland from the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Best fantasy/horror/western-sci-fi story ever in my opinion. I love the Clint Eastwood meets Indiana jones meets Jesus aspects of his character. Also how the epic intertwined through most of kings stories in one way or another

  31. It’s an agonizingly hard decision. I have to mention Deadpool, seeing as how I’m a comic artist and he’s just everything a comedic hero/villian/trickster/bawss should be.

    But in all seriousness, dear G-O-D, I adore me some Tyrion Lannister. He’s such a fantastically built character; not good, not inherently evil, but the perfect mix that makes Game of Thrones the masterpiece it is.

    Favourite Pasta Character? Ruby. From Micheal Whitehouse’s “The Passenger”. She’s such a caring mother, and it’s nice to see a pasta happen to someone who isn’t single, a teenager, or a guy.

    Favourite Fictional Villain: Loki. The original Norse Loki, not Marvel’s Hiddlesy God of Tumblr. Loki is just such a bitch. A clever, backstabbing, hateful, motherly bitch. I love him. X3 Not to mention, mother to a fucking eight-legged horse.

  32. Trevor Phillips from GTA5.
    For some reason (and I don’t know why), I see a lot of myself in him. That is either really good or really bed…

  33. Well, I am rather fond of… well pretty much anyone from the Buffyverse. Joss Whedon is able to paint a picture of each unique character. I guess that’s why I like them, they are each different and react to things in different ways. They don’t all go running into a fight and they don’t all going running from a fight.

  34. beautifulmassacre

    my all time favourite fictional character is kazuo kiriyama from battle royale both the book and movie version. it was weird reading about him because he was one of the antagonists but i really could relate to him. he was a highschool kid and was fairly normal except that he felt nothing. as a kid he was in an accident and he has no emotion. i like the fact that its not just that hes an insane killer, he didnt have to, he couldent really care less about killing his best freinds. he had the skill to escape by himself but he really just didnt care so he flipped a coin and decided he was going to play the game.

  35. In no particular order: Dracula, King Ghidorah from Godzilla, Jason Voorhees from friday the 13th, The Joker from Batman, Apocalypse from X-Men, The Predator, The Warlord of Blood and Baal from Diablo, Scorpion from mortal kombat, General Grievous of Star Wars, The Witchking from LOTR, Michael Myers of Halloween, Skeletor from He-man, Shredder from TMNT, Nicodemus Archleone from The Dresden Files, and Vega from Street fighter 2. Dracula is King

  36. I have 4 actually.

    1and2: Masky and Hoodie, the Marble Hornets has always been a fav of mine and the way they are played off has kept me up contemplating whether or not they are real.
    3: Ticci Toby by Kastoway. One of my all time favs, the realism in his situation just makes me shiver.
    4: Fidget Bridget series by LadyIssu. there are 3 stories of Fidget Bridget. her own, and Josh WolF’s and the third one is coming out i think. Its the Juliann one. It takes place in seattle and scares the crap out of me because thats where i live and the street its all on is real to.

  37. I would have to say Tris from Divergent or probably her in the second Insurgent, she acts ruthless and strong-so I admire her for that. But also how she goes a little too far, suicidal- I don’t want to say why (Spoliers and all :3) but she keeps such a huge secret and so much things that build up, I admire strength when she finally realizes something. And through it all she even make a huge, huge choice- that could effect her life. I admire her humanity, strength, and just a person you could actually be.

  38. I like Callie from the book Starters. Very bad ass.
    Lady Cybil from Downton abbey because she isn’t stuck up and very independent.
    Hazel Grace From The Fault In Our Stars, she reminds me of myself.
    Angel from the Maximum ride series, its a sci if about these angel humanoids. She’s adorable and hilarious.
    Tris from Divergent because of her bravery…
    Those are some of my favourite. Some are considered realistic.

  39. I looooove Vaas from Far Cry 3. He is such a philisophical, yet insane person. His “Definition of Insanity” speech is music to my ears and I love it to death. He is a man who has lived his entire life with blood on his hands and has an very strong love for his sister. The first time he ever killed a man, was for her. From then on it was a downward spiral for him but in his shrinking sanity, he became incredibly wise.

    I also really like Alucard Nosferatu. Again, this is a character who has never really been “all there”. When his was beaten by Van Hellsing and sowrn to serve the Hellsing crest for the rest of his immortal days, he has become the most badass Vampire ever.

    “I killed them. I completely destroyed them. I didn’t leave even one alive. Now, Integra. Give me an Order! They’re probably controlling the Police. The very ones that were ordered to attack me… The ones that I killed… And the ones I will keep killing! They’re only regular humans! I can kill them all! Without hesitating or regretting for even a moment! I can, because I am a monster! But what about you, Integra? I’m the one who holds the gun… I take aim… I load the magazine, and cock the slide… I am the one who releases the safety. But. You are really what kills them. So what will you do?! Give me my order! Sir Hellsing! Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing!!”

  40. Jace from The Mortal Instruments is pretty badass. I mean, seriously, he kills demons every day and doesn’t even blink an eye. He also FREAKING FOUGHT TWO GREATER DEMONS AND KILLED THEM BOTH. I mean, seriously. He can even jump up like 4 stories high! Yeah, just awesomeness.

  41. My favorite character of all time would have to be the hunter that shot Bambi’s mom.
    There is no face to the bringer of sadness in that film…also, there is nothing like someone’s world ending with a bang AND a whimper.
    Definitely the best.

  42. Abe from the oddworld series is one of my favorites. He’s not exactly what you think of when you see a protagonist or hero. He’s hummble, but also just as scared as the people he’s saving. He can’t really harm his enemies so he has to use other methods to get by.

    Leon from the Resident Evil franchise is one of my favorites too. First day on the job and he’s thrown into a zombie apocalypse, and makes it out. Even so, he just gets thrown back into more chaos. But he grows as a character. By time Resident Evil 4 came around he became a badass. Jumping off walls, killing enemies 20 times his size, and still throws in the smart-ass comment every now and then.

    Dante from Devil May Cry. Pure badass. Looks demons in the face and laughs. Expert weaponist, smooth talker, smart-ass, cocky, but still noble.

  43. Abe from the oddworld series is one of my favorites. He’s not exactly what you think of when you see a protagonist or hero. He’s hummble, but also just as scared as the people he’s saving. He can’t really harm his enemies so he has to use other methods to get by.

    Leon from the Resident Evil franchise is one of my favorites too. First day on the job and he’s thrown into a zombie apocalypse, and makes it out. Even so, he just gets thrown back into more chaos. But he grows as a character. By time Resident Evil 4 came around he became a badass. Jumping off walls, killing enemies 20 times his size, and still throws in the smart-ass comment every now and then.

    Dante from Devil May Cry. Pure badass. Looks demons in the face and laughs. Expert weaponist, smooth talker, smart-ass, cocky, but still noble.

  44. When creepypasta wise…clockwork and ticci toby but in books I’d have to say a tie between tris and four in the divergent triolgy

  45. InfernalNightmare333

    Wow, I would have so much trouble picking a favorite character. I’ll list a couple here and then probably think of three more as soon as I click submit…

    1) Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist (I’m more familiar with the manga than the anime). I like him because, to put it shortly, I feel he is realistic, likeable, and complex. To elaborate: He’s got fully-developed, interesting relationships with other characters, including what I think is a beautiful, caring relationship with his brother. He’s strong and independent, carries a lot of emotional baggage, and is filling out the role of an adult in his society; but there are times when you can tell that he’s still just a kid inside. He is obviously a “good guy” and tries his best to do the right thing at all times, but he is also flawed, occasionally making bad decisions and often having to face failure and its consequences. He’s equally good at being serious and funny. Also, he resembles me in several (mostly superficial) ways: we’re both agnostics, have a passion for science, hate milk, and go nuts when people call us short.

    2) Bilbo Baggins from The Hobbit (book, more than movies). I love Bilbo because he’s not your stereotypical macho, strong, sword-wielding male protagonist out to save the land and regain his honor. Rather, he is an ordinary, non-impressive guy who likes his quiet, calm life, good food, and doilies, and winds up being caught up in an adventure largely by chance with the dubious role of “burglar” (for which he was completely untrained). However, despite being an “average-joe” sort of protagonist, Bilbo is no wimp or slacker… when faced with danger, he steps up to the challenge admirably, growing immensely throughout the novel and (hopefully not to give any spoilers) ending up doing one of the bravest, most selfless things possible in the end in order to ensure that peace triumphs over exaggerated pride.

    3) Kiryuin Satsuki and Matoi Ryuko from the ongoing anime Kill la Kill. Yes, both of them. Don’t make me choose!! First of all, love their dynamic: there aren’t enough hot-blooded rivalries between female characters. Love Ryuko for her rebellious attitude, devotion to her friends, and brash self-confidence. Love Satsuki for her commanding presence, intelligence, unshakeable determination, and… well, can’t go much further without spoilers. The feminist in me sort of wishes that their character designs weren’t so overly sexualized, but the guys in the show get the same treatment, so it doesn’t bug me too much. Also, there’s a certain something to be said for being able to fight with pride without giving a damn what you look like to others.

    1. I have to give you a ^5 on the Edward Elrich…I love FMA. His character shows several different sides. All of his sides manage to mesh well into a full character.

      And I have a Oroboros tattoo on my arm with the first law of alchemy…i may be slightly obsessed…

  46. This will probably be really long.

    Ashley J. Williams: He’s groovy. Chainsaw hand. A chin that could kill. A Boomstick. That’s all you need to know about Ash. Army of Darkness and Evil Dead II are two of my favorite movies and it’s about all do to Ash.

    The guy from Bedtime: While a lot of his personality and even basic traits are hidden, he’s still very dimensional chacter. From part I to part II he’s just a kid. We get no info on him at all and this serves it’s purpose. But Part 3 to 5 is when the chacter grows and shines.

    We aren’t shown a lot about his girlfriend or even their relationship. But because through part 1 and 2 we project ourselves onto the chacter his girlfriend being ripped away from is that more dramatic. To be honest when that happened I cried. Because of how much we were projecting ourselves onto him. That makes his fight with the monster that more suspenseful. Also I know I gush over this story at ever opportunity possible, but that’s because it’s amazing.

    World War Z: This book is fantastic! The amount of development done in 20 pages of this book is not only impressive, but overwhelming. There were so many chacters that I love from this book, but if I must choose, Kondo Tatsumi and Sensei Tomonga Ijiro. Both outcasts one of choice one of not and yet; they are the greatest duo in the history of any media.

    Kondo was an Otaku outcasting himself via the internet, where he found comfort. He gets wrapped in the mass hyseria of the “War”, but not panicking he just used this to show off. Until the rude awakening that the war is at his door step. Tomonga was outcast when he went blind. He felt no of no use. He was blind a dishonor to his blood, until he became a zombie killing master. These two go to together extremely well.

    Watchmen: Rorschach is awesome and so is Dr. Manhattan in fact all the chacters are great it’s just that Rorschach steals the show. He gets 3 chapters just about him! That’s 1/4 of the book all to himself. I could go on about Manhattan and Rorschach for days, but I’ve alrerady go on to long. Good Night everybody!

    1. This… is my BOOMSTICK!!!
      Ash is definitely a funny and memorable character. I completely forgot to mention him in mine!

  47. Christopher Nolan’s adaptation of The Joker takes the cake in my opinion. While he was nothing more than comic relief in Adam West’s 1960s series, he developed true depth in The Dark Knight. Yes, a large part of it was because of Heath Ledger’s riveting performance, but kudos to those who fleshed out his character and made it more than a joke (see what I did there). The guy truly seems insane, the perfect villain for a gritty adaptation of an already gritty series.

  48. darknessiscreeping

    Honestly, I really like the character Dr.Ethan Kane. He is from the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. I know this is not a real scary series, but this guy is totally bad-ass! They don’t quite come out and say it, but this guy is almost as insane as Jeff. He owns two buildings, The School and The Hospital. Both of these buildings are quite horrendous! The Hospital is a place much like a regular hospital, but much more gruesome. At this place, Dr.Kane lures people to take this “surgical miracle”, which supposily makes you live forever. This procedure is actullay called the Ressurection. The victims are the people signed up for the surgery. Dr.Kane sets up a specific tape just for you to listen to while the surgery is taking place. You are under a rare anistesia that makes your imagination go wild. The tape has a pair of headphones in which he puts on you. The tape is supposed to take you to a relaxing and/or amazing place, like a cruise ship or a performance of a famous jazz band. While your mind thinks you are here, the doctors around you make a huge cavity in your gut, taking out all organs exept lungs and heart. They also leave in your eyes and skin. You will not have any idea that your dreamland is not real, until they toss your dying body into a 3,500 degree inferno oven. when you are being burned alive, there will be a horrible event occering in dreamland, like a bomb, fire, shooting, you name it. And you will feel all the pain while being burned alive.

    The School is where they take your organs. They will use your organs and DNA to create some horrifying experimental organism. The organism is usally mutilated humans. Then , Dr.Kane will perform the sickest experiments ever, like making you run maze after maze for hours, without water, shocking you w/ electric whenever you slow down. You will be brutally murdered if you fail.
    Also, Dr.Ethan Kane will shoot anyone who he thinks is lower then him and of no use to him. He also has stunning good looks,and tempts woman to do his bidding w/o them even realising it.

  49. I guess I would have to say my favorite character, would be Lessa, From the Dragonriders of Pern series.

    Anne McCaffery did a phenomonal job creating a character who would grow and change with experience, but still maintain who she was. She is Probably hands down, my favorite character of all time.

    Second Favoriate is Juliet Butler, from Artemis Fowl…I just like the whimsy of her for some reason.

  50. Leto Atreides II

    For those of you who haven’t read Frank Herbert’s epic ‘Dune’ chronicles (and shame on you if you haven’t), Leto – along with his twin sister, Ghanima – is a child of Paul Muad’Dib. Having been born with his father’s powers; an ability to see the future; Leto ‘bonds’ with the pre-sandworms of Arrakis, and initializes a transformation – not only for himself – but all the universe. In order to save humanity from itself, Leto takes totalitarian control over a feudal empire for 3500 years, and is both hated and worshiped as an emperor and as God.

    Written over 30 years ago, the messages in “God Emperor of Dune” resonate even louder in today’s age. Herbert perfectly blended religion, empiric governorship, sociological verity, messianic frailty, philosophy, and evolution into the most compelling and thought-provoking character in – not only science fiction – but all of fiction.

  51. Donnie Yen’s portrayal of Ip Man is (as of recently) my favorite character. What draws me to him is how you simply see honor in his every move, word, facial expression (even the lack thereof). He kicks ass but tries to find non-violent solutions. He opts out of supper to feed his starving family. He has such honor and humbleness that when he DOES beat the villain, you feel so happy because he deserves it. He is not proud, only a little saddened that he had to use force to defend his country.
    Until Ip Man, my favorite was Riddick. Such a tortured life, constantly killing because people won’t leave him alone. Never allowing himself to care about others, because he might have to kill them too. Such a hardened outer shell that when he DOES show compassion and saves the very people he claimed not to care about, you feel such joy to see him being vulnerable. You cry out in pain when the things he never meant to care about are killed before his eyes.
    I guess I like the badass characters that defeat anything pit against them, yet have a softness within them.

  52. I have so many favourites…but i’ll choose 3
    1) Jeff the Killer-because he seems so real, the way he’s described and all.

    2) Alice-yes, the Alice in Wonderland. Because i like the way she always thinks everything trough. And I have been called Alice for some time, even tho it’s not my real name.

    3) Red-my all time favourite character. I never really liked Pokemon while growing up, but i can’t go without it now. Most of the people will probably be like Red=Ash but I mean the original Red. I like the strong characteristics of him, the confidence just…if he would be real he’d be the one i’d look up to.

  53. The T-800 from Terminator 2. Probably one of the greatest cases of character development ever. It’s just so amazing to watch a ruthless, emotionless, unsympathetic killing machine transition into something that recognizes and respects the value of human life more than some humans do. As Sarah Connor once said, if a machine can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too.

  54. I have quite a few favourite characters
    1: Alucard Nosfuratu from the Hellsing anime. This guy is the pure definition of bad ass. He is suave but also quite scary when you piss him off. (And he is always pissed)

    2: Deadpool. Who wouldn’t love this character in a serious universe of the Marvel comics? I love him due to the fact he is a different take on comics.

    3: Batman. Do I need to explain?

    4: Anyone from the Bioshock franchise. Every single character is an enigma because most of them are insane but Bioshock pulls it off by showing they are human too.

    To be honest, I would like to see a Jeff the killer story where it takes the Bioshock way of dealing with insane people.

  55. The real Jeff the Killer

    Jeff is my favorite character because of how real he is. People really do go insane and start killing for no reason.

  56. I haven’t been on this site for very long, and am far from reading everything posted, but I have noticed that a lot of the “Victims” in the stories are generally well natured. I thought it might be interesting to see some more pastas about people who deserve it, or are at least somewhat amoral. Again I have not come close to reading everything and I may have just missed all the stories with this trait.

    1. The problem with a victim who “deserves it” is that it undermines the horror of the story. Readers don’t identify with that character, and instead of something had happening, they get their just comeuppance.

      This isn’t to say that it can’t be done. Rather, it requires a high level of skill with the craft of writing. The higher the barrier to writing a type of story, the fewer (decent) instances of that type of story there will be.

  57. super natral 101

    I think all charactor are good. Unless they do somthing stupid. But sometimes it is.still acceptable. A character does not have to relate to me to be a good character.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top