Advertisement
Please wait...

January 2014 Discussion Post: Mythological Entities



Estimated reading time — 2 minutes

Last month, we talked about how to create good monsters. Some classic boogeyman from folklore and mythology were namedropped over the course of the discussion, which got me wondering –

Which already established mythological entities are your absolute favorites?

Unlike last month, please don’t limit yourself to just monsters or malignant characters. Any mythological, religious, or folkloric being – from the Lady of the Lake to Ishtar to Kappas – is fair game. When you name your favorite, please give us some detail as to who they are and why you find them more interesting than all the others. Of course, you could just leave a one-word answer, but it will be much more interesting if you actually explain yourself!

Let’s also avoid any religious-based arguments or bashing. In the interest of simple terminology, I am tossing all of these entities that have existed across the time and space of human culture under the ‘mythology’ umbrella – this may include whatever belief system or pantheon you subscribe to, so please do not take offense at seeing, say, the archangel Michael being discussed in a similar fashion as Cornwall’s knockers. We are not here to make any value judgements or get into slapfights because one person believes and entity is real and another person believes they’re just folklore. Similarly, do not take this as any attempt to trivialize any particular belief system by implying that it’s fiction or “just stories” – as I said before, I am using plain, wide terminology in an effort to treat all systems fairly and not step on toes.

Advertisements

This means that commenters attempting to drive the discussion down the road of religious trolling/debates will find their input removed. If you do worship or believe in an entity, feel free to tell us and answer people’s questions about it as long as it doesn’t devolve into any sort of flamewar. Likewise, I don’t see a problem with people asking believers questions as long as they’re polite and not mocking. If I feel any discussion thread starts getting out of hand, I will simply stop approving the comments by the guilty party. It’s a new year, let’s start it off by treating each other well, please.

Advertisements

I hope that everyone has fun – this has the potential to be a very interesting and inspiring topic, I think!

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

164 thoughts on “January 2014 Discussion Post: Mythological Entities”

  1. Has anyone done something on Tailypo? I remember reading the story 17 years ago and to this day when I think about it I get chills.

  2. Aphrodite.

    why?

    I consider Aphrodite to be my favorite mythological figure because, in my opinion, she pretty much a contradiction to what she was the goddess of. Being the goddess of love, one would assume that she as faithful to her husband, but in actuality, she was quite adulterous having many different lovers, suitors, and the like. I don’t mean to impede on anyones beliefs so if this rather condescending, forgive me, but they choose the woman who was “slutting it up on Mount Olympus” to be the goddess of love? Goddess of Attraction maybe, but love? I think not.

  3. I like mr.widemouth
    and jeff the killer he remindes me of my friend Jeff he was only in school for a few weeks and then he seemed angery all the time after that his brother was sent jdc for a fight he got into with the bullies at the buss stop when he got out Jeff was in the hospital for awhile we didn’t see him after that all that I heard was before his brother got home Jeff was burnt or something like that and then his whole family died except him, I geuss he went missing or something,Jeff had long hair like me,hell I remember his face he was always smiling I miss him, is it just me or does that sound fammilier??????

  4. I think that the next pasta should be a jeff the killer returns and this time he goes up aginst 2 people laughing jack, and my new video game character he is a sieral killer who wanted to be just like jeff he cut I cheeks into a smile cut his eyelids out and bleached himself but something went horribly wrong the bleach got in his eyes and gave him pure white eyesand as he was trying to clean it out he fell hit his and that gave him the power to know where jeff was buried and bring him back to life when that happened jeff got angery and went on a rampagethats when laughing jack comes in when Marilyn micheals that’s the characters name he some how driffeted off and met laughing jack and asked him to help him find jeff and he refused so Marilyn was forced to kidnap laughing jack.iam going to stop there

  5. I think the best was the scarecrow or bloody mary…think about it. Holloween night, trick or treating, then DEATH BY SLAUGHTERING SCARECROW… of say it 3 times honey! Okay! bloody mary, bloody mary, bloody mary!
    DIE BITCH THANKS FOR REMINDING ME OF MY NAME BITCHES

  6. Anomalous Sailor

    I really like the Fresno Alien. There are currently two (2) real videos of them and Native Americans drew them a lot and called em’ “Wind Walkers.” They impact Fresno so much some statues built serve as their “Gods.”

  7. This crazy thing happened I dreamed I was a little boy who walk in the woods and there was something there I don’t know what it was

  8. I have always personally liked Medusa. I like the way she is described as having live, venomous snakes in place of hair on her head. I really love the fact that if you were to gaze upon her face you would instantly turn to stone. That always amazed me, how all you had to do was look at her and BAM you’re stone. Awesome.

  9. mine is the nandi bears. according to ancient african legend, it is a beastly murderer. it looks like an overgrown hyena. they are feared for the vicious attacks. they then feast on the brain and inner organs of thier victim (human and animal) and use the body as a nest for thie younger pack members. honestly what is more cruel than to know that your killer is useing your body as a nesting space. my favorite creepypasta is jeff the killer.”shhhh go to sleep”

  10. my favorite is the Troll/ogre. I mean they’re basically giant lumbering behemoths that can dish it out as much as they can take it.

  11. Hmm..I think my favorite would be the Chaimera. The Chaimera was supposedly a monster with three heads, one that resembled that of a lion, one that resembled that of a goat, and one that resembled that of a serpent, and had the body of a goat and another serpent for a tail. I do wish someone would make a creepypasta about a Chaimera, but sadly it hasn’t happened yet (probably because creepypasta monsters tend to stalk, and Chaimeras are too huge to be sneaky)

  12. My favorite is the rake. Since i had my worst nightmares based off of it, and dearly respect it. One of my nightmares caused me to almost throw up due to being so scared.

  13. derpbutt:
    Please leave any topic on the post specifically made for such things. Otherwise, suggestions get buried and lost within the hundred of comments I see every day – I simply won’t remember ones that people toss on random posts.

    Whoops, didn’t see it. Sorry Derpbutt for the trouble.

  14. For me it is the wereeolf they have such power and of course they look really creepy not to mention they are half human so very intellagent. Sure they a only told about in folklore but people did indeed used to belive in them from hundreads of years B.C.E to the present as people who made pacts with the devil for power or they were from the dimension of hell and even people being raised by wolfes, being spotted running with them. Similar to the Salem witch trials people were thought of being a lyconthorp in parts of Switserland in the 15th century.
    My other favourites would have to be:
    Spring heeled jack
    Wendigo
    Willo the wisps
    Aswang

    1. Another Mystical creture i think is interesting is called the yowie, it is the Australian version of the big foot. Theese apemen like animals are all over the world and have many different names:
      Big foot – America
      Yowie – Australia
      Sasquatch – Canada
      Yetti – Hymalayas
      Mapinguary – Brazil
      Maricoxi – South America
      Yeren – South China
      Almas – Middle East
      Chimiset – Africa
      Chuchunaa – Syberia
      Higabon – Japan
      Nguoi Rung – Vietnam
      Orang Pendeck – Sumatra

  15. I have got an idea for the next disscusion. What creepypasta would you like to see get a show? I personally would like to create a Slenderman anime.

    1. Please leave any topic suggestion on the post specifically made for such things. Otherwise, suggestions get buried and lost within the hundred of comments I see every day – I simply won’t remember ones that people toss on random posts.

  16. Ghost:
    I think the Empusa is my favorite. I think it’s cool that she has a snake for a tail and has bat like wings. Even though she is a demoness that is afraid to get near travelers and humans she still is an interesting Greek mythology.

    She is actually like the Greek version of a vampire

  17. My favorite mythological is the Wendigo because of how mysterious it is and the fact that it has unnatural strength and speed.

  18. I like the Windego (might be spelled wrong)
    It is a being hundreds of years old. That used to be human. But at a point in time the person reverted to cannibalism and ate so much human flesh that it becomes this barely human thing. It’s a perfect hunter. Living in forests. It can mimic human voices almost perfectly. Camouflage itself. Move faster then the eye can track, and has super strength. It can only be warded off with some kind if runes and can only be killed by fire. Guns have no effect on it and only make it angrier. It can capture humans and stores them away while they’re alive. Saving them to eat when it’s hungry. And it’s ALWAYS hungry. It can hibernate for a cycle of 14 years then it comes out and hunts.

  19. just me:
    I think my favorite would have to be king Arthur and the nights of the round table. just something about how united they are, well until the end, that I love.

    I really hope my tablet will let me respond to this. Anyways I think that you do have a nice choice, but would your choice include the entire Camelot with people like Merlin or just Arthur & his knights?

  20. My favorite creature of myth is inarguably the Drow as popularized by Dungeons and Dragons. They’re vastly different from the Celtic creature of the same name; Drow (Pronounced Trow) are subterranian elves of white skin, jet black hair, and red eyes that are said to be unrivalled blacksmiths. Some of which say that a Drow was responsible for forging most swords of myth like the Sword of Light from the Tuatha De Danaan, and even Excalibur.

    Thus, any chance I can get while playing D&D, I will turn to my favorite offshoot of elf, with dark black skin and white hair. The Drow’s society is based on an eternal chaotic struggle of power. The intrigue and conspiracy that can be born from this sort of struggle makes the most interesting sort of plot.

    Not to mention that the spider worship and darkly designed weapons feed my Gothic subculture quite well.

  21. my favorite mythological entity has always been Loki, the angel of death. i don’t know what it is about him, but he just fascinates me. Loki was (i’m fairly sure) the angel god sent to punish the human race if their sins were out of hand.

  22. My name is Hades. One of my believers has requested I stand in and speak for him, as I can answer questions about myself better than he can. Feel free to ask anything you see fit.

  23. I have read and enjoyed the many submissions of these mythological enteties on this post but have noticed a common theme;the description of these creatures,their disturbing image and of the ambigious nature of their intent, seems to be the whole of the interest. Aside ofcourse from the possibility of their existence. I share madinverse’s calling of the question and in the search i have come to learn of the no-man’s-land between the lines. What has filled man’s heart with more loneliness,in its embrace,or more fear,in its vengeance than has the endless expanse of the sea? Few things for sure but may i ask you, Would this hostile enviroment which has,with a unique ferocity,claimed for itself the larger portion of the earth not breed a kind with strength to match? Was not it’s nurture fully to blame for the up-bringing of what perhaps has been the greatest warrior race (only comparable with the spartans) the Vikings. I ask also,could you,having never seen it,having not a Word of it reach your ear, imagine something quite as impenetrably vast? I should get to the point. The leviathan, undoubtedly you’ve heard him, no? if not him his ñame which has for the lacking in imaginación served as a Word for something unfathomable in size and for those lacking understanding has become synonomous with the greatest evil.Well the story,as i know it,fallows. On the fifth day of creatión (or at some point in it) God saw it fit he should personally see about the actualization of a species which nature had not the imagination to envision and the waters had not the potential capacity to produce much as ourselves but to the other extreme. Thus was his all-powerfull Word required. Leviathan a ñame which translates to “Coiled Snake”. For you see, it seems as though God’s only fault was in his inability to properly estimate his own power and anticipate the full consequences of his interventions. Just as the humans turned their god-like Grace (free will) into their very damnation the leviathans (a boy and a girl) soon proved the same of their size and strength. And only coiled would they fit for each had a third of the earth to call home. Logically, god could not allow procreation for any more weight upon it would render the world useless was forced to kill the girl. With a lamentatión perhaps surpassed only by the banishment of Adam and Eve he watched the lonely giant, which no living thing in his dominion or any other for that matter could ever have even the slightest hope of conquering. Whose pounding heart the shaking of the earth could never match. Whose unparalleled strength was all of evil’s ambition for it was the only which could stand the sight of his visage, indeed his very angels dared not look him in the face, and make war. And yet, in a mysery imposed by a loneliness only few have ever known, (among them god included) The leviathan in his primeval way of thinking never once cursed his fate or that of the one which imposed it upon him. But not for fear of the all-mighty, or because of some unshakeable faith, or even for that great admiration which to him defied translation but because the purity of his heart contained in it the semblance of something long ago lost which allowed him the justification to live by the simple act of it. God saw this and sought to make amends and so it is that for a few hours every day he himself leaves his golden tabernacle to visit that lonely giant in order to play, much as a boy would do with his dog, and the both of them happy to be alive.

  24. Euryale would be a cool monster ^.^ It’s greek mythology and she was the second eldest of the Gorgons. Her scream can kill and that’s what made me post this. Also, I had an idea that I could take the 7 Deadly Sins and put them in demon form with the sin as their personality and stuff like that. Well that seems scary enough. Euryale reminds me of a banshee since if you hear a banshee, it means someone around you or you will die. And if anyone disagrees with this I’m perfectly find with it ^.^ We all have our own opinions and I don’t go against anyone’s religion. I respect everyone :) Well I might post another creature. The Euryale would take form as a demon that was banished from Hell. Her scream came from screaming before she left Hell and Satan cursed her. (that or the last thing you say is your power including immortality since its a demon)
    She was cursed and anytime she screamed, she killed someone. That’s why she tells everyone to stay away from her or they will die. One day, someone scared her and she screamed, which killed the person. It blowed that person up (sorry I like it gory xD) and she was arrested but killed the cops. Now she is back in Hell :P I might post more on other myths sorry if this sucked :P

  25. Wow, there is really a lot of interesting stuff in this thread.

    (Just as an aside – if you love the Cthulhu mythos, make sure to hunt up two South Park episodes: Coon and Friends, and The Rise of Mysterion. They are hysterically funny – picture Cartman riding around on Cthulhu! LoL LoL LoL)

    However, my very favourite mythological being would have to be the vampire (“traditional” vampires, not nancy-boy sparkly stalkers). I love the whole idea of it. (Okay – the drinking blood thing is kind of gross – but still!). I’m mostly nocturnal by nature, and the idea of being immortal and sexy is way attractive!

    For a cool story about vampires in Victorian times, look for a book by Barbara Hambly called Those Who Hunt the Night. It’s a wonderful story, with some wonderful beings in it. :)

    Although I can see a downside to it in these times, when ID like drivers’ licenses and birth certificates and social security/social insurance numbers are so wide-spread and ID is needed for everything. Keeping yourself “secret” and off the grid could be kind of difficult.

  26. For me, the creepiest monsters are the ones you don’t expect – or the ones that leave you wondering if they are really monsters at all. It’s one thing to be completely terrified by the sight of a grotesque creature… but to question whether something is really evil or not (regardless of appearance)? That’s my ideal creepy-zone.

  27. I don’t know what the name is,but I remember my sister once had a really bad dream about a lady with a freakishly long neck. We’re both into “dream reading” and all that, so we looked up, “long neck scary”, on google. We found something to do with a Japanese folktale thing. This was about 3-4 years ago, so I don’t really remember WHY we were so terrified of the stories, but we were both freaked out, so we just never brought it back up. I think this thing is cool because its all I can think of at this point, and I remember one story where they could detach their heads from their bodies, which i thought was kind of interesting. Maybe I’ll go search for it again, but to be honest, I don’t want to.

  28. The mythical creature that had the biggest impact on me would have to be Dormin, or otherwise known as the 16 colossi from Shadow of the Colossus. I’m not sure if that counts because of how it isn’t even ten years old yet. But I chose this because it just flat out scared me as a young child (I will admit, I may have been a tad too young to play that game because I was only 7 when it first came out). As I grew more mature, however, I played through the game, and I could easily understand it and what it meant. Anyway, Dormin has all of the qualities of a mythical creature. His soul being split into 16 pieces and turned into the colossi was very sad, despite how evil he is. He wasn’t just some entity that was unstoppable, but he has to draw people in, manipulate them into doing something that can bring his soul into one again. His motives are unlike others because of the fact that he just wants to be in a mortal state of being once again rather than just spreading evil. (Sorry for the choppy explanation. I’m using an iPhone to type this, so it is slightly difficult)

  29. My favorite is not popular but its from my home town ( Indonesia). There are a lot of the legends here. Some of them is scary and some of them are great but in my home town there a lot of them are demons. Usaly in Bali. My favorite is “Nyai Roro Kidul'” I dont know if you can say or read that but its interesting. The story is she where’s a green dress and she died because of drowning on the ocean. Rumors are saying dont go to the beach wearing a green shirt or anything that is green because you can be killed by her and she killed you by pulling your feet and dragging you to the ocean. Though I don’t belive in the story but its just interesting. You can brows for Indonesia stuff on google. I’m sorry if my english is poor, I’m Indonesian so you guys just have to deal with it.

  30. I’ve always loved the idea of will-o-wisps for some reason. Ghostly lights in the woods tricking people, luring them off the paths. They’re always vague, like they could be the light of a lantern or an extension of some invisible monster, like an angler fish.
    They’re cool!

  31. Hollow Steve:
    My favorite would have to be the stories of the shadow people(Or Anti-matter people). I’ve read a ton of accounts online, watched a documentary video of paranormal beings dealing with the shadow people, as well as had several encounters myself and heard stories from friends as well. Usually their in the dream world. Anyways, so I was thinking about and have had a small obsession with shadow bending for a while now. Like Shikamaru from Naruto meets Avatar: The last air bender. After mastering or attempting to master the craft of.. well, reality, I would use that to bend the mother fuckers in half. They tend to be malevolent beings. Some with curious eyes, while others cause sleep paralysis, night terrors, etc. I would do this only to show that humans as a species aren’t defenseless beings from attacks of interdimensional beings of any kind. Six billion years of evolution and the best it came up with was humans? I’m pretty sure something kooler was created in the process, but humans can be pretty kool too.( Clairvoyance, auras, chi, etc.) Cheers to the shadow people and the great war ahead. XP the movie is called the shadow people i rented it at famly video once somewhere on the case it said something about now that you know they will come for you and thinking about them is what brings them witch kept me from sleeping that night.

  32. Hands down, Cadmus’ cow.

    Upon losing his sister to Zeus in the form of a bull (as what good Grecian maiden WASN’T sexually attracted to bulls?), Cadmus wandered the land searching for her. After years, he wised up and consulted the Delphic Oracle, who told him more or less “forget it dude, your sister’s gone. But listen, there’s this like, super-important cow outside. Follow it until it lays down, and there found a city”.

    And Cadmus was all like: “right, screw this, why not?”, walked outside and found a cow with a moon on its flank. And he followed that cow from Delphi to what would become ancient Thebes.

    That’s like, 120km. At slow-cow pace, that probably took two weeks plus. That’s some serious faith, and the Gods must have been rolling on the floor laughing the whole time:

    “Athena, Athena dude, check this out, he’s totally STILL following that cow. He’s been at it for DAYS! I can’t believe this s***t.”

    Finally the cow got tired and lay down, and Cadmus founded his city and went on to his own disaster, but we never hear what happened to the cow. Probably sacrificed, but I like to imagine it still wandering the Grecian hinterlands, probably busy guiding Greek economic policy or something.

  33. I am quite interested in all your opinions, but I’d have to go with Krampus for this one. Cthulhu would have been a close second, but I think Krampus, the German/Dutch “santa’s helper” that will literally put you in a sack and beat you about an inch from death if you’re a naughty child takes the cake in my book.

  34. My favorite mythological creature has to be the Wendigo. in native american folklore it is said that when people give into hunger and turn to cannabalism say when they are lost in the fores, the invite an evil spirit into them that turns them into a monster. The perfect preadator, it can stalk and kill any prey. It is stronger faster and driven by hunger and instinc

  35. The Old King Critic

    Well I guess it’s time for old king critic to put in his two cents. My favorite characters come from the wonderful world of H.P Lovecraft. I was recently rereading “The music of Erich Zann” and reminded me that he might as well been the Father of creepypasta as a whole. The style he writes in is much like the best of the best creepys out there and honestly thats why I love his writing
    Now for the characters that would be the legendary Cthulhu mythos and the characters of his short stories. I know that they shouldn’t be considered mythological but there is cults who base a belief around the mythos, so I’m going to say that at one point this was a religion making it qualify for mythology. Cthulhu Fhtagn everyone.

    1. Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn! Ph’nglui mglw’nfah Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!

      I love the mythos as well, and (honestly!) just referenced The Music of Erich Zann in another entry. W00t!

      I love them all dearly, but they certainly make for astoundingly creepy stories. And I love that they are left to us to imagine, to make of them our own personal horrors. :)

  36. I believe the werewolf is coming out tonight to hunt down all of the non-believers. I have had my own experience with one. It all happened last year on October 18th. I was walking home after going to the track run. It was about 11:00 at night. The moon was full and high. It came out of nowhere. It jumped up on me and pinned me to the ground. It had gotten a bite on me, but didn’t notice it till later. It looked like a regular wolf but bigger than a normal one. It was gone just like it appeared. I haven’t gone out to run without my friends or my cousin next to me. I have been getting more craving to run, eat more meat, be outside more than usual, getting more hostile, and the urge to howl when I see the moon full.

  37. In Romania the are said to be 7 fair maiden that apear in the summer at nite ,they dance with you and invite you to stay with them ,is said that after you see them you wake up the next day and after about to days the person dies.They are called Iele(Ielele),this story said by my grandparents in the romanian country side always scared the crap out of me!!

  38. I wouldn’t say I have a favourtite being, more of a type of being. I love the creatures with stories tied to them taking young children if they are bad. La Llorona of spanish culture, the Grither of early german, even the american boogeyman. Something about a monster that was once human that takes human children when they misbehave has always fascinated me.

    Sorry for any mispellings, I’m writing this on my kindle with a stylus.

  39. I think The Black Shuck would be my favorite. The Black Shuck is a mythical canine/dog/wolf from Europe (most often in the UK) that is black (obviously) and is usually described with red or green glowing eyes and ranges in size from a normal dog to the size of a horse. He is a spirit/demon that can take a physical form sometimes appearing as a very shaggy canine with black smoke appearing all around it although The Black Shuck is still very visible. The first account of The Black Shuck was in the 1500’s when it barged into a church in the middle of a service, killed a person then burned the church (of which very unique scorch marks can still be seen there today) It is said to haunt crossroads, graveyards, old buildings etc. sometimes it says (according to legend) that if you see it you will die, become ill or someone you know will die or become ill very soon. sometimes it will just stand still and anyone stupid enough to go towards it will be attacked and viciously mauled. sometimes in different legends it is portrayed as benighn or nutral towards humans and even sometimes is portrayed as good and is sais to help lost travelers find their way to where the intend to go, especially women. It is even said to sometimes be a good omen to see it. On very rare occasions The Black Shuck can actually appear not black, but white. and there has ben documented reports of this happening although it isnt rock solid as to weather this is a different being or the same being in two different forms. (I may or may not have had actual experiences regarding this…*cough* lovely creature…so no hate please…okay nevermind it was the scariest shit that id ever seen in my entire life, trust me you dont ever want to actually encounter it face to face, jesus, that thing’s face is enough to make a grown man run like a bitch, when it stares at you it is like it sucks out all common sense from your brain and instead of getting out of the vacinity as quickly as your legs will hold up you just end up standing there staring back at it to fucking terrified to move as it stares at you and when you finally decide to actually run away by some miracle you can literally feel it boring its eyes into the back of your head, jesus fuck.) anyways thats my little rant.

    1. The Old King Critic

      To leave a thought they actually referenced this in Harry Potter series with the death hound in Prisoner of Azkaban.

  40. Hela, Norse goddess of Death. I’m a Norse Pagan myself, and love her. One half of her body is beautiful, the other is decayed and rancid. She was cast into Niflheim, world of ice and darkness, where she created Hel, world of the dead. Her bed is called Illness, her table hunger, and her knife Pain.

    For all the ghoulish symbolism, she is actually a kind figure. She ensures that all the dead under her care are fed, even if it comes off her own plate. She ensures order, for without her dead souls would wander the nine worlds at their own discretion.

    Personally, I call her ‘cuddly’, but she probably doesn’t like that :p

  41. One of my personal favorites is the kitchi de combo (did I spell it right?) because I’m not sure if it’s fake or not. Legand speaks (#original) of creatures lurking in the depths of Lake Michigan, giant lizard men who only appear at a new moon (to avoid being seen) They also have absolutely no intrest in meddeling with human affairs. My personal theory about them, (as crazy as it sounds) is that they are an alien species, culled to 1/1000000 of their current numbers by an enemy species and have fleed here. They hope that our war like nature makes us unattractive for them, reppelling them. Perhaps they also put a cloaking field around are planet so that we can’t see them and attract them and they can’t see us.

  42. my favorite mythic character is Johan Conrad Dippel. even though he actually existed, i listed him because he was a source of constant rumor and gossip. he practiced the arcane and occult, but was a memorable alchemist who might have unknowingly invented: first performance drug, the color Prussian Blue and according to some sources Nitro glycerin!.
    all in an attempt to discover the elixir of Life!

  43. Nyarlathotep, from H.P Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos. He is also referred to as “The crawling chaos”. My favourite description of him comes from the book “The haunter of the dark”, in which he is described as a nocturnal tentacled, bat-winged monster.

  44. My favorite would have to be the lycan. When any animal (usually a human) can shapeshift into another by a wide variety of means. Some change at full moons, others at will, and some upon impulse or high points of stress. Kinda like the Incredible Hulk.
    The most popular form of lycanthropy, the werewolf (human to wolf/wolf like beast) is probably the coolest. I’ve always had a thing for them, probably because I grew up watching movies like Underworld and Van Helsing.

  45. Honestly, I’ve always had a fascination for Lucifer. Not as the devil, but as the Angel that defied God. For being more human than the rest of the bunch, he was punished. A classic case of “Die a Hero, or Live to Become the Villian.”
    I mean, what is there not to like? The epitome of what it is to be human. Brought us our free will, defied the ultimate deity, and became the ultimate villian despite the fact that he made us what we are. I am currently writing a book that puts him as the protaganist, a history of his life that shows his viewpoint on it all. Gotta love the guy.

    1. I’ve often thought that Lucifer got a bad rap. Add in the fact that he is often called “the Light-Bringer” (echoes of Hermes stealing fire for the humans?) and “the Morning Star” and I think that he is not actually “Satan” (which only means “enemy” anyways – doesn’t refer to any one deity/entity).

      “Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven”.

  46. my favorite would be the jersey devil its hybrid of a man and beast with wings that steals little children and goats then eats them. when the jersey devil was born it had many brother and sisters but he ate them all.

  47. I think, putting my religious beliefs aside, (Since I do believe in God and Satan and all of that stuff), the stories about the Human Mind/Entities of the Mind. is the greatest of mythological character. I know this seems weird to think about, but the creatures that either exist or we as humans “create” in our minds is terrifying to me! An example of this is the story “Psychosis.” Is it a real entity controlling them and stalking the guy, or is it just his fragile mind?And also bugs that eat humans. Getting eaten alive is one of my greatest fears.

    Anyway, I do have one question if you don’t mind me asking Derp. If you are to busy you do not have to answer, for I greatly appreciate what you do for the site, but I am wondering what your favorite creature/entity happens to be? If you want to answer you can, and if I am not supposed to ask this I am so sorry!

  48. In my native culture we fear an entity dubbed the wendigo. An ancient creature that roams the forest and is often associated with death and cannibalism. Definitely my favorite mythical creature that is very much real to me

  49. The ideas of angels and demons.
    Hell, the whoe idea of Good Vs Evil. We are constantly shown there is always a good side and a bad side but we are also taught that one man’s enemy is another’s freedom fighter. The concept of good and evil came from the ideas of angels and demons. Angels are the good since theey bring light down and demon being evil for trying to bring darkness. But I think that no side is completely who they seem to be. There always needs to be balance, too much good can ruin things for everything and too muc evil can be as well. The whole ideas of demons had been done in one of my submissions and I am curently working on a story now about the dark sins of angels, because what one person think is morally right, anothe rmay find offensive/sinful.

    1. That’s very true! Just think how often “well-meaning” people screw things up worse than they were.

      You should read the book of Job in the (christian) old testament – talk about suffering because of the whole good vs. evil thing. Sheesh.

  50. Israfel/Israfeli would be my favorite. Partially because, unlike most demons in the mythos he’s in, he doesn’t flat out possess people. He haunts them with something of beauty, usually music, to drive them insane for amusement. He’s also in a poem by Edgar Allan Poe.

    1. And possibly in a story by Lovecraft called “The Music of Erich Zann”. cool – I didn’t know that particular story had a mythological basis. (But Lovecraft liked to use mythology a lot, so it’s very possible)

  51. My favorites are definitely Djinn. Not being muslim myself, I only really know what I’ve researced and what my husband had told me about them, so if anythings wrong, please feel free to correct me.

    Apparently when God made the world, he made humans, angels, and djinn. They exist in an unseen world but are known to still be able to interact physically with us and our world. Like humans they have free will, meaning they can be evil, good, or somewhere in between. They’re made of a ‘smokeless and scorching fire’ and have several different forms;
    Those who have wings and fly in the air, Those who resemble snakes and dogs, and Those who travel about ceaselessly.

    They’re able to travel long distances over very short periods of time, they can survive off of bone that’s said to grow flesh again from their touch, and they can change shape to animal or human to mislead and trap people.

    Even more interesting is that everyone has their own djinn counterpart, or qarin. When you have conflicting viewpoints on something, or an urge to do something you normally wouldn’t, the qarin is said to be influencing you.

  52. The Tulpa… you may ask why? or say that it is a real disturbance, but if you twist it just a little… a Tulpa is a spirit brought to life from simple belief in it’s existance, even if it never existed before you believed in it… now think of big foot, nessie, the jersey devil, any number of mythological creatures could have in fact been Tulpas. How is it so many people have seeb or even been touched by big foot, but no concrete proof has been found other then small amounts of hair and fuzzy photos? How is it so many people sight nessie, but then the sightings ebb out as people lose interest? As belief in the creatures bring them into the physical plain they live and breath among us, yet as we lose interest they lose a grip on our world…
    Now here’s a scary thought for you… ever heardthe old term “I think there for I am”? What if we are all Tulpas and the only thing that keeps us anchored firmly in reality is the belief that our family and friends have in that we are what we are?
    Now you might say”wait if a Tulpa becomes real enough it can escape the whole existance by belief thing, with that I simply respond with, How do you think any physical evidence exists at all? Perhaps a few Tulpas escaped the oblivion of disinterest, and perhaps they are the reason sightings pop up in strange places?

    I’ll let you decide

    1. That, my friend, is an awesomely creepy idea! Good for you!

      So then, if we could only convince whoever it is that thinks us into existance that we are immortal … I mean, truly, what if we only age and die because that’s what “whoever” believes is normal?

      There’s a story in there somewhere – you should write it!

  53. Where i live in jutland, Denmark we have this story about a mytholic creature called “Nøkken/Näcken”. It lives in swamps or on lakeshores where there a lot of fog. It has the shape of an old man with long hair and by playing the violin it attracts humans (mostly children). Then when they gets close enough it drags them into the dark waters and eats them.

  54. Now, I have come to love many ‘false’, ‘mythological’ and ‘fantasy’ creatures and beings. But the one I will admit gives me the most kind of fear and love would be the creature known as the Weeping Angels from the Doctor Who series.

    I really could care less is it were a real myth or not but the angels are just amazingly done.

    To anyone not familiar with the show or this particular alien/monster, they are basically stone statues that usually look like Angels crying into their hands that hide their face. That is until you look away.

    The only way to stop an angel is to stare at it, no blinking, no direct eye contact, but just stare at it. Then there is the mirror which freezes and angel(if an angel looks at itself or another they eternally freeze)and that’s what makes them great. They change so quickly and fast you can’t even stop them. If you blink, boom, they begin to approach, if you look away, you may not see another day. A reason to why I hate strobe lights….but that’s not the end to their creepiness.

    They can be anywhere or anything, as long as it’s stone. Any stone statue could be an angel…..yes even those tiny ones in your living room your parents put out.

    It also isn’t so cool that they kill you by zapping you out of existence and force you to live to death…..so that’s my contribution……hope you enjoy

  55. People are probably going to laugh at this, but I would have to say fairies, or more, The Fae. I don’t mean the namby pamby, bottom of the garden, happy fairies everyone goes on about today, I mean the type that lured people off cliffs, and replaced children with their own young. Why do I love them so much? I don’t know, but they’re just so mysterious and creepy.

  56. I would have to say that my favorite mythological creature is the witch. Mostly due to its presence in nearly all cultures and that it takes on a variety of forms depending on where the story originated. They can be humans that perform simple magics to create mild harm or good, or they can be immortal all-powerful beings. The archetype of a witch is something that can really fit any fantasy or work with any idea.

  57. It’s so hard to choose! I guess my favorite out and out monster is the werewolf.

    I also love satyrs. Maybe I just think anything with hooves is too cute for words, but there’s something about satyrs that I find really cool.

    Along those lines, I love me some Krampus. A child eater with adorable hoofy legs? Sounds like the perfect pet to me. Satanic goat things are always the best anyway.

  58. The selkies, or seal women of Scotland and Ireland have always fascinated me. They’re like mermaids, but much more tragic. It’s said that they can shed their seal skins to become beautiful women, but if a man steals her skin and hides it, he can then take her for his wife and she won’t be able to return to the sea.

    There are male selkies too, which purposefully seek out human women to seduce them. Sometimes the human women don’t know that their lovers are selkies and awaken in the morning to find that they are alone once again.

    I think there’s a similar sort of tale in Japan about a man stealing a celestial woman’s heavenly robes so that she must stay with him forever. It seems to be a common theme in folklore. Hooray for forced marriages.

  59. @MyChickenRawrs
    After seeing the Paranormal State episode about the moth man when I was around 9 or 10, I was freaked out too.
    1. The sirens
    2. Ghosts or Spirits
    3. The Loch Ness monster (do I need to explain??)
    4. The sand man, the story where he takes your eyes. He comes to you in your sleep and takes them. .3.

  60. Vashta nerada, from the show doctor who, freak me out. If you have ever watched that show they have some freaking beings in it. The vashta nerada are shadow creature that live in the dark and basically suck the life out of you until youre a skeleton. The only way to spot one is count your shadows and if you have pre than one pray that its just an extra lamp!

  61. I’m creeped out and fasinated by the shadows always moving in the corners of my eyes… idk what it is but sometimes they whisper my name, should i be scared? When it comes to mythological creatures tho i just love valkyr’s and all other kinds of angels c:

  62. I find the tale of La Llorona to be interesting. The idea of a woman doomed to haunt a river bed as punishment for drowning her kids seems like a prime opportunity. A moder encounter with her I suppose

  63. The moth man! Half man, half moth. Apparently was seen at the twin towers and standing on a bridge before it collapsed. Also it lives somewhere in the states. It made me so freaked out for a long time..

  64. I think the Sirens from Greek mythology is one of my favs. I mean, if you can change into something someone loves and have so much power that you can attract them to you, that’s pretty cool. Well, not nice when it comes to the crashing the boat part. They are very unique, unlike the common halloween horrors like Chucky or Bloody Mary. Cool discussion topic! (^_^)

  65. WhatDoesTheFoxSay

    The Jersey Devil, definitely.. I could go into a whole lesson right now, but it would be easier to give you a link. :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Devil
    It’s my favorite because, even though you won’t believe me, my mother has seen it and my uncle (a cop) chased it after it attacked a mother and her child. He was in the news for it, but I’ve never been able to find it online.
    :)

  66. my favorite is Kuchisake Onna which is about a women who has her face cut from ear to ear, Satoru, which is about a game you play with a pay phone and a ghost named satoru answers and you ask questions but can’t turn around or he’ll kill you. and also Tomino which is about a haunted poem that if you read it outload you will die and be dragged to hell.

  67. My favorite monster has to be Slenderman . like he is almost indestructible and can pop up anywhere whenever he pleases.

  68. My favorite would simply be a vampire mostly because they are so mysterious and very smart and treacherous. Plus being able to keep the fact from so many that they are a monster, a monster in which is hated by so many but just trying to make it each day like a normal human.

  69. This is another great one. It has a profound impact with me because I fear deep, dark water that you can’t see the bottom.

  70. Hmm. Tough decision.
    My favorite mythical creature doesn’t have a name, so we’ll just give it the name I gave it as a young child: the Wompus.
    I know it’s a childish name, but I was six when my father told me stories about it.
    It can be described as a creature about the size of a large badger, with a short stunted snout and a bat-like nose. It’s teeth are jagged and sharp (like molars of a deer, if you understand what those look like), and the rest of its body is covered in patchy skin, with half-rotted wet skin in some places and rough uneven spines in others. Dad described the skin as a porcupine that had been partially skinned and cooked.
    Anyway. This grotesque creature disguised itself as a cat, creeping through the woods to find children to eat. Pretty classic way to get me to behave, but the Wompus still scares me to the fucking bone. Brr.

    1. Isn’t it funny (funny-interesting or odd, not funny-haha) that the things we hear about as children still have so much power. Myabe because a child’s imagination is so very vivid? And so much is connected to emotion when we’re very young.

      When I was really young (10 and under) I was *terrified* of witches and mummies. Yes, creepy guys wrapped in bandages, because one of my “friends” told me that they could hide under my bed at night … So then that gave me nightmares. I think anything that makes us scared as children hinges on the theme of being powerless in the grip of something horrible. :)

  71. Not really my fav but the myth creature that absolutely scares the crap out of me is the leviathan just something about a hulking creature in the middle of the sea scares me the fact that if you crossed paths with that thing you’re screwed what can you do trapped in the middle of the ocean with a 100 foot fish try to out swim it?

  72. Don't ask me that

    I am absolutly fascinated with werewolves.I’ve even…don’t laugh…looked up how to become a werewolf.That must sound pathetic to y’all but I just always wanted to know what it would be like to be able to transform during a full moon.

    Cool yellow eyes, sharp teeth and claws, super strength, it just sounded awesome at the time.You would be able to keep your powers a secret and nobody would hunt you down and shoot you like a deer during hunting season, haha.

    1. The only problem with lycanthropy (or any other shape-shifters) is that the process is always depicted as being horribly painful. (Well, think about it – your spine elongates, your bones change shape and position, your facial skin and bones warp and grow, etc. etc.) Other than that, though, good ol’ loup-garou is one of my faves, too.

  73. Maria Doile (The Hulk)

    Oh gosh golly, my favorite would have to be a freaking Mermaid! They are so beautiful, though so dangerous. It is such a sight to see. If I could really see one. They sing to you, or even just sit on a rock brushing their hear. Looking all majestic and brilliant. Their hear waving in the wind and their flipper settling in the water. They swim up to sea men, who are locked on their beauty. The Mermaid though, out of no where. Grab the sea men and pull them down to the oceans floor where they drowned the Mermaid can feast on them. I just love it!

    1. The Old King Critic

      Actually in there origins Mermaids were not beautiful they were ugly creatures who’s sound made them appear to be fair, but if you didn’t here the sound they were vile nasty creatures.

  74. My favorite is cernunnos from Celtic mythology he is described either as an divine stag that brings life or a man with a stags head that is said to be about 8ft tall and is the leader of the wild hunt. When he goes with the hunt it is said he is looking to collect the souls of any unfortunate enough to be in his path.

  75. I myself am absolutely fascinated with banshees. Derived from Gaelic folklore, the banshee suddenly appears and emits an ear piercing wail to signal an up coming death in the household. I find this fascinating, yet terrifying considering the fact that I am half Irish and have always been a little too believing in stories.

    1. Don’t forget about the tragedy of the Banshee’s tale.

      She doesn’t mean for her wails to kill. She is just fated to be that way.
      And so she mourns all of the poor lives she accidentally ends.
      but her lament of crying only causes more people to come to her.
      They all die when they investigate the crying to it’s source.
      And so the cycle continues.

      1. When I was really young my grandparents took me to see a Disney movie called “Darby O’Gill and the Little People” – I don’t remember anything about the movie except the banshee. That thing scared the ever-livin’ F@ck out of me. Holy crap it was terrifying!

        I wonder how many little kids were traumatised by good ol’ Walt? Some of his villains were scary as hell.

  76. My personal favourite is cerberus he is a big 3 headed dog who breathes fire and guards the underworld where souls of dead people are and is personal pet to a god of darkness/underworld Hades

  77. Elena Bermejo:
    La chusa, it’s a bird that is actually a witch, who particularly practice black magic.What I’ve been told is that it screeches at the dead of night and if you whistle at it it’ll attack you.
    I’m very intreged by this creature because I really do believe that witches (that practice black magic) disguise them selves as animals, and that there have been many stories of people encountering such beings.

    that sounds really cool! are there any stories/wikipedia page/etc. that you know about it?

  78. Growing up in the weird part of Asia, I grew up with hundreds of stories about these mythological beings.
    Out of the few dozen of my favorites, the one that scared me the most is something people from my part of the world call the Manananggal.
    A Manananggal is basically a woman who cannot bear a child, whose grief is so great, they succumb to great evil.
    In daytime, one cannot discern a Manananggal from a regular woman.
    but at night, the Manananggal sprouts wing upon her back and her upper body separates from her lower half (from the bellybutton down).
    she flies the night in search of the houses of pregnant women. Just a flying bloody torso.
    Most of the houses in rural communities here still have straw roofs.
    So while the targeted pregnant woman sleeps, the Manananggal claws upon the roof to make a small hole and extends her 15 foot long razor sharp tongue to dismember the sleeping woman.
    The Manananggal fills the room with her breath which induces a sleeping effect.
    The mother never wakes up though this ordeal.
    the Manananggal takes the unborn baby and whisks it away.
    The upper body of these Manananggals is said to be impervious to anything man-made.
    The only way to kill one is to find the lower body. The part still left of the ground.
    One must pour salt into the bloody stump of what is left behind.
    This will cause the Manananggal excruciating pain.
    if there is salt in her lower half, the Manananggal cannot reconnect to it. nor can she land.
    she will will be forced to remain in flight till the sunlight kills her.
    Once her upper body drops, it becomes extremely flammable.
    It is said to be extremely bad luck if one happens upon a Manananggal copse and does not burn it.
    It is said that if a female finds a dead Manananggal and does not burn the body, then she will be unable to bear child.
    And if a male finds it, then his future wife will be afflicted.

    weird, eh?
    where did people even get the idea for these.

    1. Well I have similar story in my country, it’s called ‘penanggalan’, it is a sort of black magic, that if you learn it you can keep yourself young and beautiful by drinking the blood of pregnant women and/or infants. (note: only for female)
      However, in my country it is not half a torso but only the head and the innards will leave the body.
      Imagine seeing a flying woman’s head floating around with her innards danggling from her neck.
      In daylight you can’t tell if she practices that kind of black magic or not, as her whole appearances is of a stunning young beautiful woman, but with strange lines around her neck which usually is covered by scarfs or hidden from view with clothings.
      Well, the only way to kill her is to ‘kill it with fire’ if she happens to fly too low and her innards got stuck on a tree branch, since she don’t have hands while in that form, she couldn’t free herself, if however you are a male you can make a proposition to have her marry you if you release her from being stuck, in which she will have no choice but to agree, since if the sun rises she will get burned by the sun.
      why would you marry a woman like that?
      Because she is very very beautiful and will always stay young for a very very long time, albeit with a creepy and evil way.
      But, if in case you found her body while she’s being ‘out and about’, you will only see a headless body.
      You can take and hide her body and ask for ransom from her, again if you’re male you will be provided an opportunity to marry her,
      or just ask for a ridiculously high sum of money, if you don’t want to, you can always burn the body and leave her to be lost without a body and she will eventually be sunburned literally.

  79. First off, I want to state that my favorite Entity is YHWH. He is quite amazing, He is all-powerful and He lives outside of time. He has written many books, which have stood the test of time. YHWH lives in a golden Kingdom far away from this earth. I have read YHWH’s books many times and have even seen some of the movie adaptations, but I must say, the books are much better. He had a human Son that was perfect. The Son had a mission, to save the world. The Son completed His mission, but it required His death. YHWH was pleased with his Son, so he raised the Son back from the dead. The Son lived on the earth for another 40 days, spreading the gospel of YHWH. When the Son was finished, He returned to His Father’s kingdom. The Son did not leave his followers to journey alone though. The Father gave all of his followers a part of Himself, His Spirit. This Spirit lives inside of His followers and guides them thorough their lives, helping them follow the path to the light. If the followers of YHWH follow the path of light, they will be able to join YHWH in His Golden Kingdom.

    My second favorite Entity is Cthulhu. Ever since I first heard of Cthulhu, I have been drawn to him. His form is majestic, his power is God like and he has infinite wisdom. What is not to like. Plus the user content that you can find on the internet only makes things better. Look up “Cthulhu saves the world” on steam. The game really is a hidden gem. I have read most of Lovecraft’s books about Cthulhu and I really love how well Lovecraft describe the horrible world around us. In case any of you have not already read the short story, here is a link to it

    http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thecallofcthulhu.htm

  80. I recently learned about an old norse creature called the Draugr. Basically a re-animated corpse that lives in its grave. Unlike a traditional zombie though, it has some intelligence. Has superhuman strength and can change its size at will, as well as walk though stone, and enter peoples dreams. Kills by crushing or eating victims. They are said to guard some sort of treasure usually. They are also said to have an unsatisfiable hunger for people. That just seems all around awesome. A viking-zombie. It would be awesome if someone wrote a story or knew of any stories about these as i just barely even heard about them

    1. The Draugr is one of the main enemies you face in Elder scrolls V: Skyrim. They mainly hand out in old crypts and guard treasure. I did not know they were based in reality, great find.

    2. You might want to look up Eyrbyggja Saga, and Grettirs Saga. Both contain stories featuring the Draugr which are vastly different and much more terrifying than the ones found in Skyrim.

      In these stories, Draugr possess immense size, being “swollen nearly to the size of an ox” to illustrate their impressive super-human strength, and even have mystical powers such as future sight, weather control, shape-shifting, and the ability to move through stone like water.

      Then Olaf tried to rush Hrapp, but Hrapp sank into the ground where he had been standing and that was the end of their encounter (Magnussen and Palsson, Laxdaela Saga, p. 103).

      Then Thrain turned himself into a troll, and the barrow was filled with a horrible stench; and he stuck his claws into the back of Hromund’s neck, tearing the flesh from his bones… (Kershaw, P. 68)

      Found this information and more here: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ghosts.shtml

  81. One creature that terrified me when i was little and, to some extent, still scares me today is the vampire. Now naturally i don’t mean the “sparkly sparkly misunderstood gloomy” vampires that seems to be the norm for vampires these days but the old kind of vampires.

    That is to say, the creatures cursed with an unholy immortality. Doomes to stalk the night and prey on mankind. The creatures that breaks into your home in the dead of night and silently stalks through your house thirsting for the warm blood you got inside your veins…

    I think the first time i ever encountered vampires up close (so to speak) was when i watched “Are you afraid of the dark?” with my cousin, i didn’t know what kind of show it was (since i didn’t speak english back then) and it was an episode about hos an coffin containing an vampire somehow ended up in a hospital.

    Of course the vampire breaks out of the coffin and procedes to prey on the patients. There is one scene in particular i remember that i had nightmares of for years: An patient is sleeping in this dark room when suddenly the door to the room opens up and the vampire creeps into the room, he had glowing red eyes and made this hissing/sucking sound while he slowly moved towards the patients bed.

    What scared me the most though, was the idea of being turned into one of those monsters. To be forced to hurt other people, to drink their blood, to spread the curse on them too just to continue my own damned existence… That was what scared me the most.

  82. Mine would have to be a Griffin, as my last name is Griffin I have always had a fascination with this Greek mythological creature. With the upper half of its body composed of an Eagle, and the rear or bottom half composed of a lion. These creatures would mate for life and if its partner were to die, the surviving one would live the rest of its days alone. And it is also said that their feathers can cure blindness and their claws also have medicinal properties.

    1. If you like griffins you should check out Mercedes Lackey – a lot of her books have griffins as recurring characters, as well as whole books about them as protagonist (The Black Gryphon, The White Gryphon, and The Silver Gryphon).

      They aren’t horror stories (although there are lots of supernatural elements, some horrible) but mostly adventure/fantasy and a LOT of fun!

  83. I would have to say Slenderman, actually. I looked him up when I first heard of him, and it said that he came from Old German folktales, and also there has been an Egyptian hieroglyph of him found. I just love Slenderman, I think he’s so freakishly awesome and creepy. It just adds a perfect touch of creepy with how tall he is, and with his tentacles and all. I think he’s perfectly awesome and creepy.

  84. Probably Judaic Angels, because they look so bizarre.
    Seraphim are on fire and hive 6 wings, all of which are used to cover their body (one wonders how they could even fly)

    Cherubim have 4 heads, one man, one bull, one eagle and one lion, and 8 wings.

    Ophanim/Thrones are just wheels within wheels covered in eyes. Yes, seriously, look it up.

    1. Honestly, you have me at ophanim. I practice a faith very close to Judaism, and I was always intrigued by these little puzzle entities.

      For me they represent a total inability by people to understand the universe, and the cosmos (here loosely meaning the expanse of alternate dimensions). We cannot hope to understand it explane the ophanim or their other celestial relatives as we haven’t the mind, open or otherwise, in order to do so. Great answer.

    2. Actually the Seraphim use two wings to cover their feet, two to cover their face, and the last two to fly.

      Isaiah 6:2 KJV “Above it stood the seraphim: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.”

  85. Iusually draw monsters from my dreams and tell stories about them after so they are sorta myths but my favorite one of mine is the Sabelfang witch is saber fang in french i called it sabelfang because it look like paris where i was in the dream and it’s front tooth wath like a sword or sabre and its lower lip was its sheathe. it had four legs and was a longer creature with goat like eyes.

  86. The one mythological creature that has interested me is something in Greek mythology known as the Gorgon. They’re these women with snakes for hair, one of them, whose name is Medusa, is so hideous that it is said that looking at her will turn your body to stone.
    Tytiger’s comment about unicorns, I also agree with.

  87. creepypasta critic

    My favorite creature is the kelpie. A kelpie is a beautiful white horse that appears next to men in the rivers and streams of Scotland. It entices people (mostly kids) to climb on its back. The creatures skin becomes sticky, and drags the human into the water to drown and eat its heart, liver, and kidneys (cough cough Eyeless Jack cough cough). It had the strength of 10 regular horses and could un-pollute water. it was said that if you could somehow put a saddle on the kelpie, it would be yours.This creature interests me because of its beauty and hidden intellagence.
    click this link to view a picture of a Kelpie

  88. I do have faith in God. Though He is the center of my life I will not be discussing this here. Reason being my faith is different then other people’s faith and bringing faith into a discussion about Mythological Beings is bound to start a war. (Despite Derp’s hard work and his fight for fairness.) A big thanks to Derp for trying to make things easier on people of faith. You’re a wonderful admin and have way more patience then I possess. Have a wonderful New Year.

    I have always been obsessed with all things supernatural. I remember checked books out from the library on it when I was probably six years old. My whole life and my whole being is surrounded in the unseen. Leaving out all faith-related beings I would have to chose the fairy as a favorite. I do have many favorites but as a child the fairy was always a delight. I loved reading books on the tiny women and drawing depictions of their fragile, beautiful wings. I used to know a lot about the fairy folk but school has robbed me of personal reading time. That being said, if anyone knows a lot about or has experiences with fairy folk I would love to hear about it.

  89. I’ve always liked the myth of the dullahan myself. It’s an specter from the British Isles, specifically a headless horseman that rides around foretelling death. It’s said to carry a whip that’s made from a human spine, and that anyone who looks out to watch the dullahan pass in the night will have a bucket of blood thrown in their face. Weird, but intriguing. Also the only thing that can ward off the dullahan is the presence of gold, so better keep those coins handy!

    I think most of the time it’s not actually a ghost or undead, but some sort of malicious fairy that takes on a frightening visage, but either way it’s still cool. I actually wonder how much Sleepy Hollow’s Headless Horseman was inspired by the dullahan myth; Washington Irving did know a lot of folklore.

  90. My favorite would have to be the stories of the shadow people(Or Anti-matter people). I’ve read a ton of accounts online, watched a documentary video of paranormal beings dealing with the shadow people, as well as had several encounters myself and heard stories from friends as well. Usually their in the dream world. Anyways, so I was thinking about and have had a small obsession with shadow bending for a while now. Like Shikamaru from Naruto meets Avatar: The last air bender. After mastering or attempting to master the craft of.. well, reality, I would use that to bend the mother fuckers in half. They tend to be malevolent beings. Some with curious eyes, while others cause sleep paralysis, night terrors, etc. I would do this only to show that humans as a species aren’t defenseless beings from attacks of interdimensional beings of any kind. Six billion years of evolution and the best it came up with was humans? I’m pretty sure something kooler was created in the process, but humans can be pretty kool too.( Clairvoyance, auras, chi, etc.) Cheers to the shadow people and the great war ahead. XP

    1. I’ve never heard of the shadow (anti-matter) people, but they sound like awesome antagonists for a story. Do you happen to remember the name of the documentary you watched?

      1. Shadow people are absolutely terrifying entities. I have never watched the documentary but I have seen them on a lot of paranormal television shows.

    2. Okay an antimatter person would be impossible. Antimatter explodes violently upon making any form of contact with matter. I have seen shadow people irl before though

  91. The most fascinating mythological entitiy is for me most probably Sun WuKong, The Monkey King.
    Also, I have a strong but very honest and sincere interests in the entities called nymphs… or nereids…
    *poker face*

    1. I love the Monkey king, I have read journey to the west, and have seen all the movies about the book. I like “The Lost Empire” the best, but there is a new monkey king movie coming out soon, might go and see it. On a side note, in league of legends, the monkey king is a great champion, I play him a lot.

  92. In terms of classic folklore, I believe I’ve mentioned on more than one occasion my love of the Sandman. Strongly tied to dreams, he/she is often depicted as either a wish-granting nymph or a malevolent entity that preys on the imagination and gullibility of children, which gives it a very psychological slant. These features, namely its stalking and affinity for children, were the basic traits that formed the modus operendi of our own site mascot – Mr. Slendy. Likewise, the eponymous story named after the Sandman on this site is among my personal favorites, proving even the classics can be reinvigorated (rather than going on a five-minute brainstorm to hack together a subpar new monster concept).

  93. The Afterlife

    Yeah, I know, it isn’t customarily regarded as an ‘entity’ as much as it is a place, or time, or space, or state of being, or transmogrification. But, the contradictions between people’s beliefs (no matter their culture), religious doctrines, paternal teachings, natural selection, investigators of the paranormal, faith in the Divine, interpretations and conjecture of priests and prophets has always fascinated me, considering our present corporeal and universal existence. From Houdini to Hitler, from madmen to Magi, people have been seeking the answer to the meaning of the soul and an explanation of the spiritual.

    There is no question that when something dies it is dead. From dust you came, and to dust you shall return. A fanciful way of stating the definition of corrosion: a body returning to its natural state. But, in spite of all the evidence relayed back to us by our own senses, another question intrudes – Do the dead remain dead?

    I’m currently finishing up a story that deals with this very subject matter, but I was afraid of submitting it because I didn’t want to stir up a theological hornet’s nest. But, dammit, it’s so freaking creepy I can’t resist, so expect it soon.

  94. La chusa, it’s a bird that is actually a witch, who particularly practice black magic.What I’ve been told is that it screeches at the dead of night and if you whistle at it it’ll attack you.
    I’m very intreged by this creature because I really do believe that witches (that practice black magic) disguise them selves as animals, and that there have been many stories of people encountering such beings.

    1. I’ve heard about those shape shifting witches, but the owl ones were always called lechusas. Some turn into other animals but keep their human faces as they walk around.It’s said that once a month they hold a giant bon fire out in the country side where they talk about their latest practices and share heir secrets. They cast a spell so that if an uninvited stranger stumbles upon their reunion, they pass out and wake up days later.

      It’s also said that on Friday’s they can hear if you talk about them, which will put you on their bad list.

      I have cousins in a small town where legends like this are very popular and they are terrified of their grandmother because they believe she is one these lechusas. To be honest. I don’t really blame them, she is pretty scary.

      1. I’m from a small town with about 6,000-7,000 people in it and stories like these are very popular. The town I’m from also has a very rich Native American background and here people call the stiginys (pronounced the way it looks). They’re said to be witches who can shape shift into owls and can also control your mind. I personally believe this or something similar to be out there.

  95. I think the Empusa is my favorite. I think it’s cool that she has a snake for a tail and has bat like wings. Even though she is a demoness that is afraid to get near travelers and humans she still is an interesting Greek mythology.

    1. Oo she sounds awesome. It’s odd though that i have three greek mythology books and shes not mentioned in any of them. Does she have a different name or appear as anything else?

  96. Well… The Unicorn of course! At one point I was planning to write a creepypasta about the greatest mythical monster ever but, some was like “That’s stupid. Don’t write that.” *Cough Cough* YOU CAN”T HANDLE THE USERNAME *Cough*

    I don’t know the unicorn is just amazing.

    1. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE USERNAME!

      :( I Honestly didn’t mean to discourage you, I merely thought it wouldn’t work in MY series. I honestly did not mean do not write it at all. :( Please do, and sorry If I disheartened you Tytiger, :(

      1. Sorry, now just saw this. I should have explained. He told just not for the Modern Monster series(You should check it out it has great authors like me. And yes I have no shame.) But, he encouraged me to write it on my own. Which I tried but, it turned into a boring slasher every time. And the unicorn deserves better than that.

  97. I think my favorite would have to be king Arthur and the nights of the round table. just something about how united they are, well until the end, that I love.

      1. They weren’t real people. King Arthur was created from various stories of knights and kings over centuries, much like Robin Hood… Just saying

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top