Advertisement
Please wait...

Influenced



Estimated reading time — 5 minutes

I watch the horror film that is news, every single fucking day. I have, shall we say, an unhealthy obsession, with knowledge, and subsequently the ‘knowledge’ provided by my television screen. I just cannot seem to ignore it; I suppose this is due to my primal instincts, provided by evolution. My instincts force my mind to pay attention to potential threats, and yes, forgive my insolence, but images of terrorism, horrid superbugs and violence look a little like threats to me, and they have stolen my ridiculous little life.
This is what I am now doing, sitting ridged in the darkness, with only my television set for company, providing me with a dull, glowing light, once again taking notes on the events of the world, as though I am in fact a reporter, and not simply watching one, with a terrified and aimless expression on my face, slowly wasting away.
I am calculating, and recalculating my chances of survival up against the new potential terrifying apocalypse being presented to me. Today it is bacteria, flesh-eating bacteria to be exact. Apparently it eats away at your flesh, and gains its nourishment from your blood. It sounds positively ghastly, definitely not something I wish to become involved in.
I come to the conclusion that I must stay inside, well, no changes there. I have always been somewhat, socially inept, but in the past few weeks I have become even more immersed in my own company, as though it is a separate entity from myself, able to entice me into solitude.
I make a mental note that I must not open the creaking, wooden door to the outside world, or the dusty windows, for fear of allowing that disgusting, damaging infection into my damp, dimly lit home. That would just be an excuse for some bad shit to happen, not that bad shit usually needs an excuse to arrive, but I sure as hell don’t want to give it one, for if I do, well, then the demise is on me.
I realize that this is in fact somewhat of a shame, because my only glimpses of the ‘real’ world come from my window, showing me the large skyscrapers outside of my home, and the gorgeous sunlight that is so bright it captivates me, perhaps because of how rare it is that I catch a glance in its direction.
Oh well, I must make sacrifices in order to survive in this terrible, uncaring universe, where pain and threats lay just outside, around every corner, in the very air I breathe, crawling underneath my skin, and plaguing my dreams.
I gaze at the news reporter before me, her hair as beautiful as her glowing skin, as though she was photo-shopped in the womb, and was born into perfection. She speaks in a monotone, her voice low, as though she is reading me a bedtime story, willing me to get some much needed rest.
I am exhausted; my brain is painfully fuzzy, and unable to calculate even the simplest of sums, probably due to my overuse of its functions, and tiring paranoia. I can almost feel my eyelids close, bringing me momentary relief, as though all I need in this world, to remain safe and calm, is some fucking rest.
No, no I cannot sleep now, not when I take in the harrowing meaning of her all too robotic words. She is showing me the potential number of human lives that could be lost, over a million, and statistically, wouldn’t I be likely to be one of them? Living in such a compact and large city, where bacteria have the ability to fester and thrive, even more so than the citizens.
I am basically a fish in a metaphorical barrel, with no defenses whatsoever. I attempt to be rational, I am aware that the stories I am being presented with are most likely filled with lies, or at least over-exaggerated truths. However, my minds rationality seems to crumble quite completely when the bright, fast moving images flicker in front of my eyes, as though visibly threatening me, and me personally. Isn’t it just too convenient, that just the other day I entered into one of my strange conversations with myself, that ended in the ghastly topic of bacterial threats, and my deep fear of a zombie apocalypse, and just two days later it is the main story on the news?
It is as though all of these threats are but one entire entity, determined to find and destroy my being, with some horribly aggressive consciousness.
They have been watching me for a long time now, I realize, thinking back to all of the television schedules I have studied, which appear to fit my life’s events, and the ‘coincidences’ that appear to occur daily, such as me speaking to a friend about thoughts that have been spiraling my mind, and finding that the same topic is being discussed on the television, or the newspapers. It is as though they somehow have access to my thoughts, to my mind. Perhaps they are the reason for it.
No, I’m being ridiculous, I’m just a fucking conspiracy theorist, and I sound like a crazy person. But still, the thoughts will not stop, they simply become louder, as though screaming at me, attempting to show me the truth of the matter.
As I glance at the television, cautiously watching the images before my eyes, I come to a starling realization.
I realize that it is not just the news that is in on this, but also the entire media system itself. They are warping my mind, distracting me from the truth, picking and choosing the information I am allowed to know, as though to render me weak, and easily suggestible. Every time I attempt to fit the pieces of this fucked up puzzle together, I fail, I become more confused, and deeply terrified. As though some fundamental part of myself is becoming more damaged the longer I remain in ignorance.
That is the only explanation I can find for all of the strange things that have been occurring. It is the only explanation for why my mind cannot comprehend such simple things the moment I turn on the screen, the moment those dastardly pixels enter my being, and take over my rationality. I hastily switch off the television, breathing rapidly, as my heart beats painfully against my chest. There is still a small, rounded light at the bottom of the television, reminding me that I cannot escape from this, I cannot escape from the pixels influence.
I cannot help but think that perhaps they can see me through these covert means, as though this is the way that they have been able to keep up with my thoughts, and remain topical in my life.
A loud harrowing knock pounds on my door, causing me to practically jump out of my skin, and physically jump backwards, further into the shadows of the room.
They are aware that I know; this must be it.
I shiver violently, and begin to sorrowfully weep, putting my head in my hands, as though to consume my very being, and keep it safe from these dastardly beings, although I know that it will do no good.
My breath is becoming shaky; I feel as though I am in fact exhaling the very panic that consumes me, although it still has not lessened, in fact it is increasing quite quickly.
Soon menacing beings enthrall me, and my brain becomes disturbingly weak. It is as though the organs within my skeletal frame are being mutated, turned into something unrecognizable, and my body is becoming as tired as my mind, as my eyes becoming blank.
Suddenly I come to the realization that this isn’t so bad; the images before my eyes are entertaining after all, so funny, so captivating. A manic laugh leaves my lips, at the sight of my screen, isn’t technology brilliant?

Credit To – Victoria Lendon

Advertisements
Advertisements
Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

29 thoughts on “Influenced”

  1. Props to the writer. Its about the news over-exagerating something(as they usually do) and making the public paranoid. Over the course of the story, the person realizes that we rely too heavily on technologia to the point where it can literally control us

  2. Ignoring the opinions of others, I really liked this story. :)

    Today I was looking for a CreepyPasta that was as confusing as a continually winding staircase from eternity. Well ladies and gents, I just found it. I enjoy how the story gradually turned from a simple obsession with TV to feeling as though he is being forced by metaphorical beings in his mind to watch the news and measure the political scales of disaster in his mind. This is truly a work of art in the making. I thank whoever made this piece of CreepyPasta.

    And yes, technology is a wonderful thing, isn’t it? >:)

  3. I feel as though the comments under this story go to two extremes. “BEST STORY EVER” and “MIND NUMBINGLY STUPID”. Yes, the story was rife with plot holes. However, it did chill me.

  4. “Today it is bacteria, flesh-eating bacteria to be exact. Apparently it eats away at your flesh” —- No. Way. That and the reporter saying that a million people could die, and the narrator interpreting that as meaning, “statistically”, that he will be one of them. Statistically? Over 7 billion people in the world, and he’s literally gonna be one in a million? To die from flesh-eating bacteria that, in case you didn’t know, eats your flesh? This pasta was too big for its britches. Would send back and complain to manager.

    1. I noticed the wildly inaccurate “statistical” statement aswell. I actually laughed at it. If it had been better thought out, this could have been a good pasta.

  5. I will attempt a proper read through later. I got put off by the massive wall of text and the already low rating.

  6. IMO, this piece started as a fairly interesting description of paranoia. It’s made painfully clear that the protagonist is trapped, slipping within her shell; she’s still rational, but that voice of reason is being drowned out by her obsession. This pasta also illustrated just how easy it is to turn paranoid: just switch on the TV and let the events roll over you.

    The pasta then ran out of steam halfway. I think the author started with this great but simple premise, then failed to develop it into a proper plot. The result is, IMO, that the pasta became a madperson’s rant halfway through.

    The ending was deeply flawed. I felt that the author tried to portray the protagonist’s final crossing into madness, but it came out confusing and prematurely ended, leaving the pasta in this limbo.

    Overall, interesting start, puttering middle and quite terrible end. 5.5/10

  7. This story reminds me too much of Psychosis when you look at the big picture of both. The story premises are different, but they are too much alike. I feel like this could have been good, but it seemed like you didn’t spend a whole lot of time writing this, considering that there were many grammatical errors. Work on this story more and have someone proof read it before posting it anywhere; have them make sure it makes sense. Overall, I would give you a 5/10 on this story.

  8. how do rants of a paranoid conspiracy theorist become a creepy pasta…this was just awful…and I mean did he just not eat cause he didn’t leave his house or have people over..just a horrid story with tons of holes

  9. I’m going to be honest with you here. The use of cussing wasn’t necessary, and it really just sounded forced and stupid. Like you’re trying to fit in or “keep up with the lingo.” So that bugged me. Anyway, the story was boring, and it went no where. There was no ultimate goal or action the narrator completed. And I absolutely hated that last sentence. Ending it with a rhetorical question=no bueno. I feel like this pasta was trying to be deep and teach the reader a lesson, but it just didn’t come across strongly enough. Definitely needs some polishing. Sorry to be the all negative reviewer. It’s a dirty job, but someone’s gotta do it.

    Overall, 3/10

  10. To all confused, this is my interpretation: Pointless rambling by a… I guess perhaps a xenophobe? Who in the end, no matter what happened prior, just gets eaten by a zombie.

  11. This story actually is a good story.It describes a man’s rant and eventual change into a maniac.I do enjoy these types of stories and it’s not mind blowingly hard to comprehend.The style of the story is pretty straight forward and the actual plot isn’t to bad.8/10

  12. He’s in an asylum and the ending is when doctors come in and give him drugs and then he feels different after?

  13. *confused Adam is confused*
    This started out as a rather well written trip into the mind of someone who is so easily, well, influenced, that they allow the news to control them. Effectively turning them into a paranoid wreck, but then it just all falls apart at the end. What the hell even happened?

  14. Painfully boring, not creepy in the slightest, completely unrealistic as everyone needs to leave their house at some point..

  15. I do like this very much, but I’m not sure I understand the ending. What screen is he looking at? I think he’s a man turned mad from no human contact and constant technology but some of it doesn’t make sense.

    Although, I do feel like Ms. Lendon is warning us of the horror that can come from technology and possibly government mind control.

    Overall, 5/10. You need to clear a few things up, but I did enjoy this story.

  16. What?

    Okay, in all seriousness, what is this story about? A paranoid whack job talking about the news? I don’t understand it.

  17. I’m confused…I’m mean I was with it untill around the end..then I got lost..somebody wanna help explain?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top