Advertisement
Please wait...

Hell Lives Inside



Estimated reading time — 5 minutes

A shiver of terror runs through me, and I’m awake, gasping. I lay still, fists clenched in my sweat soaked sheets, shaking from the nightmare. Forcing my eyes open, I confront the darkness. My breath hitches in my chest as my eyes desperately search for something to focus on, but there’s nothing. This is what they call “cave-darkness” my mind tells me. An absence of light so profound your brain goes a little haywire. I don’t know how long I’ve been down here, minutes, months or years. I sleep, I dream, I awaken, I relieve myself, I scrape moss from the floor for nourishment and water from the walls for hydration. Then it’s back to sleep. My bones are sharp, and my skin hangs from my wasted body, like an ill-fitting wet-suit.

Nightmares fill my every sleeping hour, and most of the waking ones as well. My hallucinations have reached the point where I can feel the demons hot breath on my cheek, smell the rotting of the flayed and tortured creatures that hunger for flesh in the dark corners of my cell. I don’t know how I got here. I just awoke one day, still in my bed, in utter black. Normally, I had my fear of the dark under control, but this darkness was different. Not just the absence of light, but the presence of something else, an inky black terror that seeped into my very bones. I wonder if this is Hell, if maybe I was a bad person, or if there had been some kind of twisted mistake. I hoped for so long it was a dream, but can a dream stretch for eternity?

Delirious, I stumble from the damp, reeking bed and crouch beside it, my hand still on it. I had gotten lost once, stumbling around my tiny prison, smashing into the jagged rock of the walls in panic. When I finally fell to the floor I could feel the pain, and the hot, sticky blood that came with each fresh wave of agony. I let unconsciousness take me, falling straight into the night terror’s claws, and when I awoke, I crawled across the floor, groping with my hands until I found the cold metal of the bed-frame. The dream. It’s always the same, and always different, composed of my deepest fears and the darkest of sins. Every situation is new, a fresh horror born of my imagination, but the feeling is the same. The same terror, unnatural, freezing me in place, an unwilling subject of the acts of horror and atrocity committed.

Advertisements

A wall of metal gears, ripping through a town in a spray of gore and rock, killing all before it, then coming for me. A spider, inflated, huge, wrapping me up, when she stops and explodes, showering down smaller spiders, with needle sharp fangs. A child, viciously torn from my body by a madman wielding modified surgical tools. Animals, abused and killed, then revived, eager to visit the sins of those who killed them upon me, not caring where their “pound of flesh” came from. My family, set ablaze, screams tearing through the crackle of fire. Dolls, come to life, with jagged porcelain hands, slicing and tearing, clowns with jagged red mouths and empty eye sockets armed with acid-filled water balloons and garrotes. A parade of fears, and always the helplessness. I wish for oblivion, for this torture to end.

I wonder how I’m not dead already, from starvation, or infection. Sometimes my hallucinations aren’t as bad as dreams, but I can’t shake the feeling that they’re only there to disorient me. To give me false hope, my mother’s voice, telling me to hang on. My father, weeping. My husband telling me to come back to him, and worst of all, my children, calling out for me. At first I tried to search for them, but I was surrounded by rock, a silent crushing tomb. I lay in the bed, fighting sleep, then succumb.

The dream is different, of course. I’m sitting on a hill, lazily flying a kite. My lucid mind is wary, searching for danger, and finding none. I turn me eyes back to the sky and assess the dark clouds. A drop of rain strikes my face, and I flinch, but it is only rain. No acid, no pain where the water struck. Thunder rumbles, and my mind clicks. I turn back to the sky, and try frantically to pull the kite in. The rain makes the kite string strangely slippery, and as I examine it more closely, I realize it is thin copper wire. As I’m staring in horror, the wind abruptly tears the wire I had managed to gather from my hands, and I attempt to let go of the kite completely. Nothing. My fist remains tightly clenched around the wire. A flash, and I tense, but there is no jolt. I stare upward, frozen in place, bracing for the pain. And it hits. A white-hot flare runs through my nerves, searing me from the inside out. Again, and I close my eyes, wishing for death. The last time, I suck in my breath as my body is flooded with the agony, and open my eyes.
A blinding light hovers over my head, and as I try to turn to the side, something stops me and triggers my gag reflex. I retch and spasm as voices around me bark concerned orders at me, and each other. “Stop moving Miss. You’re OK, but you have a tube in. There’s been an accident”. An accident? My mind reels, and I have so many questions, I try to talk around the tube, and gesture frantically with my hands. The heart monitor beeps erratically, and the nurse comes around to my side. “Here sweetie, this will help you sleep. You need rest now.” I struggle harder, my blind panic back. I don’t want to sleep. I can’t bear to dream. What if I open my eyes and I’m back in that cave? Darkness claims me, and for the first time in an eternity, I have a dreamless sleep.

Advertisements

When I open my eyes, the tube is gone. Light is streaming in the window, and despite my aches and pains, I feel great. My husband is sitting next to me, and jumps from his chair upon seeing my open eyes. “I knew you’d come back to us”, he says, wiping tears from his face. The door swings open, and in the doorway stand my parents, grandchildren in tow. I look at my kids, and begin to cry. I never thought I’d see them again. They rush into the room, and jump onto the bed. I feel no pain as I hold them, and my son tells me he loves me, and missed me. My daughter admonishes that if I ever go away again, she’ll run away from home. I laugh, and promise them I’ll always stay with them. My parents smother me with hugs and kisses, then shoo the children out of the room ahead of them, so my husband and I can speak.

I ask him how long I was out, and he tells me “two days”. My mouth opens in shock. I can’t believe that eternity was only 48 hours.He looks me dead in the eyes and tells me “You died. Your hear stopped for a full 3 minutes, and when you were brought back, you were comatose. Then, yesterday, your heart failed again, so the staff resuscitated you again. But this time you woke up!” The horror that fills me is profound. Was it hell? Was it an elaborate dream? I resolve to never tell anyone of that dark, rancid cave where my subconscious was held prisoner.

Advertisements

Life goes on, and I recover almost completely. Physically, it’s like nothing ever happened. The nightmares still occur, but less. It may be that this place exists only in my head, a hell perfectly suited to me, and now that the pathways have opened, I’ll always carry that darkness inside of me.

Advertisements

CREDIT: Danielle Elizabeth

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

25 thoughts on “Hell Lives Inside”

  1. Very nice realistic story. I love how it takes in the feeling of being in between death and life or as we think it’s like . Overall it deserves a 10 I mean really why not.

  2. I like it; the horrible torture with zero breaktime….ooooh! Hell scares me and I hope I don’t have to go there. : (

  3. Very good story! I was confused at what was going on at first. Did not expect the ending. The part about being in hell for a short amount of time in the real world, feeling like eternity reminded me of one of my favorite shows ‘Supernatural’ When Dean goes to hell in the end of season three. I’d love to read more of your stories if you have any, You’re really good (:!

  4. I truly enjoyed this, but actually did not find it predictable at all. I, a married mother of two, died on July 11, 2013. After being resuscitated to an extent, was in a coma for 4 days. Though I cannot recall a single dream, I CAN recall the most intense feeling of peace; but much like this tale, it felt like I was suspended in this state for ages. I much enjoyed reading this spin on something I have personally experienced while I was also “creeped out” by the few similarities.

  5. wow, great pasta. not exactly scary, but actually pretty creepy. i liked the ending a lot. i also like how this was just something, not some creature causing this or anything. great pasta in my opinion, keep up the good work. i really hope to see more from you .D. 10/10

  6. The pure feeling of hopelessness and anguish simply amazed me as i struggled to continue reading about such a hopeless and cold area of our subconscious minds.. i do believe that we conjure our own eternities and you capitalized on that concept in extraordinarily creepy fashion. 10 of 10

  7. This is absolutely incredible. It’s the first pasta I’ve read that isn’t told from the viewpoint of a teenager or a single, mentally disturbed adult. It’s from a mother. That makes the nightmares all the more terrifying.

    1. Danielle Elizabeth

      I have two children, so my terror at the thought of ever losing them is very real. I like to incorporate aspects of real life in my stories, along with the children it includes mention of a reoccurring nightmare from my husbands childhood, and also my fear of the dark. Thanks for reading! :D

  8. Although I understood what was happening as soon as the narrator said she didn’t know how she ended in that darkness, I still liked the story. For a moment I thought that in the end the awakening would be fake and that she would actually re-awaken in darkness again, but all in all I am glad it wasn’t so.

  9. Very nicely done. I felt your wording is what really sold me; very nice lyrical choices. I feel like you’re a budding poet or part time writer. It’s crazy; I felt like she was crazy but not dead lol Amazing story about the brief inbetween

    1. Danielle Elizabeth

      Thank you! :3

      I do love writing poetry! I’m actually currently writing a Fantasy novel, but when I get stuck I write short stories on random subjects. This is one of them. :D

  10. This isn’t possible. you would wake up either mentally retarded or just a straight up vegetable. your brain needs oxygen to survive other wise your brain cells die and you won’t be able to get them back. 48 hours mean your brain cells are all gone

  11. I enjoyed reading this one! It is well written, and you created a very convincing, if necessarily sparse, scene. I figured out what was going on, or at least had a very strong hunch, but it still delivered strongly on the concept. I think the dream scene was well executed, and an interesting take on resuscitation. It was really interesting to read how you dealt with the treatment of eternity as compared to the two days. It adds a layer of creepy and the supernatural to the story. Also, I really enjoy the writing style you have; very specific images presented in a very effective way. My only real critique was that I would have liked a little more to the ending. It begins to discuss this clinging darkness and nightmares, but somewhat dismissively which seems uncharacteristic based off the earlier discussion of how horrible they were. I also find the ambiguity about hell to be a very interesting concept, and I would have loved to see this expanded on a bit more in the conclusion, but without becoming a morality play.Overall, I found it really interesting, and enjoyed reading it. Thanks for a great read, and happy writing!

    1. Danielle Elizabeth

      Thank you for the constructive criticism! I’m planning on writing many more, so I’ll be sure to pay more attention to the endings.

      I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top