Advertisement
Please wait...

Hat Man



Estimated reading time — 4 minutes

The night was dark. The only light emitted into the tiny bedroom was from the door that stood slightly ajar. The room was clean for a four year old little boy. There weren’t any toys covering the floor and no clothes thrown about the room.

The little boy slept soundly; light snores could be heard coming deep from within his chest. His arm twitched fervently, but became still after a few seconds. The sound of his breathing rang out across the silent room.

Seeing the child deep in his slumber, the tiny little man clambered out from under the boy’s bed. He was a short fellow with a quirky mustache set above his crooked lips. His eyes, which were enlarged, set close to his forehead. He had no nose, but his ears made up for that. On top of his head, sat a velvet black top hat with fifteen little red cards sticking out of the band wrapped around it. He stood up on the haunches of his feet and stretched his tiny body out, a sigh leaving his parched lips.

Advertisements

The little boy stirred, but didn’t wake. The tiny man giggled lightly and stepped back from the bed a bit. His eyes glanced around the small room, but slid back onto the little boy after mere seconds. He smiled a crooked smile and allowed his fingers to glide across the soft down comforter. The boy’s eyes jerked open at that motion and he nearly screamed if not for the calming manner of the man standing before him.

“H-hello. What’s y-your name?” the little boy stuttered out, gazing at the awkward little man.

The man merely smiled and clutched at his hat. “My name is Hat Man Williams, but you can call me Hat Man,” he paused a second and the boy continued to stare at him in wonder. “I’ve never seen you before. What’s your name, my dear boy?”

“My name’s Jake. We just moved here.”

Hat Man smiled crookedly and sat down on the edge of the bed.

“Ah, that would explain why I’ve never seen the likes of you before.” His mouth twitched a little as he said this.

Advertisements

Jake sat up in his bed and rubbed at his eyes. His light brown hair stuck up in odd angles around his head. He curiously moved closer to the odd man sitting on the edge of his bed.

“Why were you under my bed?” he asked, his curiosity getting the best of him.

Hat Man stood up soundlessly and paced around the room. His expression stayed happy, but his mood turned somber. They always had ways of getting to him. This one, with his innocence.

“I was hiding. If your parents saw me, we couldn’t be friends and I really like you, Jake. Don’t you want to be friends?” He turned and looked at Jake’s innocent face as he beamed with happiness.

“Of course I want to be friends with you, Hat Man.” His cheeks turned a rosy red when he smiled.

Advertisements

A noise in the hallway startled the two and Hat Man clambered back under the bed. Jake’s eyebrows rose in confusion, but lay back down in his bed. He closed his eyes just as his mother peeked her head in the doorway. Her blonde hair fell like a curtain across her face as she leaned a bit farther into the room, and satisfied that her child was fast asleep, retreated from the room, leaving the door cracked just a little.

Jake picked his head up from the pillow and whispered for Hat Man, but he never showed up again, that night anyway.

The next morning after Jake had woken; Hat Man stepped out from under his bed and smiled that crooked smile of his. Jake smiled warmly up at him.

“Do you want to play with me today, Jake?” Hat Man asked, his dark eyes sparkling morosely. His top hat sat askew on his head, the red cards flashing dully in the morning light that shown through the windows facing to his left.

“You bet I do!” Jake exclaimed heartily. He jumped up and down with joy.

Hat Man smirked and ran his lithe tongue across his crooked lips. He’d play a game, alright. A game that only he had won.

Advertisements

“Let’s play hide and seek. If you win, I’ll go away. But if I win, you get to be my friend forever.” At that he started counting.

Jake smiled and ran from the room. His parents were downstairs, and he remembered what Hat Man had said about his parents finding out, so he hid in the bathroom underneath the sink.

Hat Man stopped counting and spun around, making sure to check every spot in the room before heading out of it and down the hallway. He cautiously made his way from the boy’s room to the spare room, where he found no one, but a bed and a dresser. He crept out of that room and into the bathroom. He smiled knowingly as he put a tiny hand on the cabinet door under the sink. Slowly, he opened it and found Jake cowering in the corner. His time was up.

Hat Man descended on him and pulled him from the cabinet. His nails slowly came out further and he ripped the boy’s throat out. The blood splashed across the mirror and walls and Hat Man licked it up. His tongue lapped at Jake’s throat as he cleaned the wound and then he ripped Jake’s skin off of his body and compressed it into a little red card; of which he stuck up into the band of his top hat, sixteen now.

Jake was found later that day, skinned in his bathtub. And Hat Man was never seen in that vicinity again.

Credit To – Ashley Goldsmith

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

46 thoughts on “Hat Man”

  1. 62746193 times. If you can read a bit fast, it will take 6 minutes each time. 261442 continuous days, or about 700 continuous years.

    Even if you are an immortal, creepypasta did not even exist then. Liar.

  2. -_Sarah_Smiles_-

    “I was hiding. If your parents saw me, we couldn’t be friends and I really like you, Jake. Don’t you want to be friends?” …………………..

    “OH HELL NAWWWWWWWAAAHAHHHHH.”

  3. -_Sarah_Smiles_-

    “Seeing the child deep in his slumber, the tiny little man clambered out from under the boy’s bed.” LESTER THE MOLESTER ALEERRRT! –

  4. Um, I’m not saying it was bad but it wasn’t as original, and the switch between hide and seek to the death was a poorly written piece.

  5. The ending is very, VERY faqed up. You didnt haved to describe how the LITTLEBOY was brutally murdered. For Odin’s sake you could have at least let the child live instead of making a faqed up ending with a dead skinned child laying in a bath tub. You have a faqed up head…

  6. CMT is right, the stroy doesn’t make sense in some areas. And HazelnutPi also has a point. Since Mr. Widemouth, there really hasn’t been good pastas of the same general plot.

  7. Uh… why?
    Why is there a circus refugee under the boy’s bed, and why does he need to set up a game to kill the boy instead of just killing him right away (he doesn’t even seem to enjoy the chase, he just looks around until he finds him)? And anyway why would the boy seriously try to hide, since he does want Hat Man to be his friend, and he needs to lose for that to happen?
    Also, how does the boy know Hat Man was under his bed if he was sleeping when he came out?

  8. This was really stupid, and I almost never say that. Gore does not make a good creepypasta, it can add too the creepiness, but you can’t just describe gore and expect us to love it. There has to be other things to the story too, like plot, good grammar and detailed characters, without that the story just sounds .. dumb.

  9. The whole child befriending a monster thing is so overdone its become mundane, and I was especally dissapointed by this story because the hat man is an old and terrifying legend, and I was expecting something more along the lines of that story. But I might be biased because I’ve seen him and studied the legends.

  10. That was a mediocre re-do of Mr. Widemouth… there was no suspense, plot-line or tryhard involved at all. try to write for a little bit longer, and then add some more depth to it, and maybe you’ll produce something better

  11. Alfred Frederick Dinglebottom

    This could have been better. My criticisms are the same as what’s already been said.

    I would recommend re-writing this with a different ending. You could twist it around so that the Hat Man seems sinister but is in fact a good person who just enjoys playing with children (not in a fiddly way). The twist could be that the child kills him.

  12. How did the kid know that hat man came from under his bed? He was sleeping when he came out from under it.

  13. Well, that escalated quickly.
    This felt very rushed to me. How did the kid know the Hat Man came from under his bed in the beginning? What kid doesn’t freak out when he awakens to a tiny man in the middle of the night? Why did the Hat Man bother with hide and seek? Why didn’t the kid freak out again when he saw the nails getting longer and should have realized he was in danger? Why am I bothering to ask these questions?

  14. Reminds me a tad bit of Mister Widemouth, with a sprinkling of Ichbarr Bigelstein (I think I spelled that wrong).

    Decently written, but it’s been done a thousand times over, and this doesn’t bring anything new to the table.

  15. What strikes me as most odd and intriguing is,How would someone know this story[think of it from his perspective,makes you wonder,doesn’t it?]. Now,the story itself was,to be truthful,tame.In retrospect,it could have been better but still,we cannot disregard the nice build up established in the beginning of the story.And I do agree that stories about kids befriending entities has outgrown itself due to so many attempts from others that it merely is a drag to read again.Not that I’m calling your story a drag,it’s just these stories no longer provide the chills they once did.Overall,I’d rate this a 6.5 for a average story.

  16. “Crooked lips, crooked lips, crooked lips.” A bit redundant. And I’m guessing “Mr. Widemouth” inspired you a little?

  17. The ending is way too rushed and reminds me of like some horribly scary (to a child, at least) story that kids would tell each other. The beginning was nice, but you rushed the ending. And the last sentence makes no sense; when would he have ever been seen in the vicinity?

  18. Hat man is the least possible threatening villain name ever.
    It’s not to the level that it gives a presence of innocence, making it just seem like a normal guy, E.G. Dave, bryan, Rj macready, making them even more sinister, it’s just not scary in anyway.

    I just ended up thinking of adam west batman wearing a purple hat.

  19. I love how detailed everything is! I think everyone can agree on that. What made this story fall off for me is that it was very cliche and there was nothing too interesting. From the beginning, we could already tell that the little boy would die. If you had built the story more and kept everything detailed, this would’ve been MUCH better. 7/10

  20. No, just no! This is not creepy at ALL. There were a billion stoeies like this, stupid kid wanna play games with creepy man, THE KID DIES! Always. Can someone make a longer creepier pasta for the sake of creepyness. 3/10 just bcuz there waz blood.

  21. To me, this was a by-the-numbers child serial killer pasta. It’s a predictable piece, with the same odd old man, the same ‘children’s games turned dark’ and a predictably placed gruesome sting. I agree with JerkOlaf– it had some potential to it, but in the end it was squared off by a rigid adherence to formula.

    I thought this was going to be an exploration of why these murderers kill in the first place, given the small details about the Hat Man’s past, but the pasta cauterized all the plotlines with its ending. It was well-written enough, and I think it could’ve been much better had it been braver and longer.

    All in all, a too-familiar iteration of child serial killer pastas. 5.8/10

  22. Started out strongly, then in the blink of an eye turned to shit. Seemed like it was building up into something nice then all of the sudden BOOM anti climactic garbage! If you were to expand upon story after the game of hide and seek started it would make for a lot better of a story.

    1. I agree. I liked the pacing and the story, but then it just rushed into the typical ending. Jake never wanted Hat Man to go away so why would he play? There needs to be build up to the ending.

  23. This isn’t necessarily poorly written, though it’s a little awkward and could use some work. Its main problem is that it’s been done roughly 3583905739481447 times before. Little kid befriends creepy thing, creepy thing is creepy and kills him. It’s not really scary anymore.

    1. I would have taken you more seriously if your approximation was a rounded off estimate and not random tapping on numbers to create an odd string as long as you may see fit (just to seem more credible I may add) , to a value of roughly 3.6×10^15 (now THAT is an approximation), which, after comparision should be about 3.6×10^4(or 36,000) times the number of humans who are ever born. Which means if every human died at 80 years of age, he wrote it about 1.3 times DAILY, on average from the day of birth to dying. Taking in account the deviations about life expectancy and illiteracy, that makes it around 20-25 times daily.

      Now, if your roughly 3.6×10^15 (or antilog15.5 if you prefer) was meant to be a number between 10-20, then you have to work A LOT on your arithmetic.

        1. Yes, but it just sends me mad when exagerration is not done properly. Including that roughly (and approx., estimated) is not for random odd strings of numbers. Perhaps if the word used was ‘about’ or ‘around’, it would be better.

          Good point, yes, this pasta was so bad and unoriginal I was laughing at the end. (Not to add I read it just after Mr. Widemouth)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top