Advertisement
Please wait...

The Dream Weaver



Estimated reading time — 9 minutes

As I entered the facility, I could all but bite down the aggravating anxiety that arose from my gut as I approached the main desk. The receptionist who resided behind it glanced up with a half-hearted smile.

“Hello,” I began rather foolishly, “I’m here for the dream weaver experiment; I saw in the paper yesterday that volunteers were requested?”

The short, stout woman nodded affirmatively, passed me a clipboard and pen and instructed me to fill out the provided questionnaire. As excitement overcame paranoia, I perched on a nearby chair and began to fill it out appropriately – it consisted of generalised medical questions and a sleep-related survey, asking me how long I generally slept, and at what time I would awake from my slumber. There were some random questions in there as well, and it all appeared somewhat insignificant in my eyes, however I assumed it was to trial a wide variety of people.

Advertisements

The only question I saw relevant to the experiment was the final question which asked how often do you dream?. As that reoccurring feeling of being outcast returned, I ticked the box labelled NEVER. I can not pinpoint a single memory in my evanescing childhood where I had a dream, and truth be told, that is the exact reason I took an immediate interest in the experiment when I saw it advertised – an experiment to study how the brain replicates what it sees into dreams. A new machine, namely dream weaver, was capable of recording and replaying dreams.

I handed the receptionist my form, and she took a small glance and the final inquiry about the frequency of my dreams. She must have been contented, to my surprise, because she indicated to the double doors at the right and informed me that “Dr. Mace will be waiting through there”. She handed back my form.

Beyond the doors was a white labyrinth of busy scientists and bizarre contraptions being tested. Towards the end of the current corridor was a large glass room, and inside a small, jolly man – Dr. Mace, I assumed – stood up upon noticing me. He shook my hand, took my questionnaire and instructed me to sit before addressing me.

“Welcome Mr-” He paused to read the name written on the form, “André. Thank you for your involvement in the dream weaver experimentation. Over the course of the following 5 days, your mind will be subjected to a video we have devised to test your sub-conscience memory. Your dreams will be monitored and your psychological processing will be recorded and replicated as an evidential video. Do you have any questions?”

I shook my head, thinking it wise not to interrogate Dr. Mace about how the machine could do such promises. I signed two further forms of consent before being lead to a small, dark room equipped with a chair, a large projector, and a pair of headphones. Once I was adjusted and left alone, the video began.

It began as a flurry of faces and speech fragments, compiled together in such a manner, it caused my head to throb. There was a consistent crackle, an old-style effect which ran over the constant flashes of images, videos, and conversational snippets, all of which demonstrating a distressing theme or topic that I found occasionally difficult to watch. I must have witnessed around 30 faces within a minutes time, and at some points I could have sworn that the face of Dr. Mace – and other seen scientists – cropped up. I thought nothing of it, as after all this was their video, and they were entitled to include themselves if so wanted. Unknown people continued to arise, however, by this point in the video, I had tuned out of the frenzy and instead focused my attention, indecisive whether deliberately or subconsciously, on the figure who unnervingly seemed now predominant in the background. Whilst I wasn’t sure when it appeared, it remained in the distance throughout. From the said distance, it was difficult to distinguish any set characteristics or features; all I could decipher at this point was it’s figure, fully black, tall and bulky with wide shoulders and elongated claws which stretched down to the floor. And whilst I could not see it’s eyes – or any of it’s face, for that matter – something about it’s gaze was unsettling, unnatural, as if somehow it was returning my stare. The scenes began to escalate in severity and yet I could not focus on them, I was drawn to this figure that emanated something dark and fearful that I simply couldn’t describe in words. The video came to an end, and only now the impact of the cacophonous screaming, moaning and shouting became apparent – my head pulsated, and my eardrums screamed for pity.

Advertisements

I was returned to my room, assured by Dr. Mace that “headaches were predicted side-effects” and that I “had nothing to be concerned about.” I was now to “get some rest”. Two other scientists – Dr. Wester and Dr. Cole – connected me to the dream weaver. I had presumed that the machine would alight, or make some sort of noise, but it remained dormant – perhaps as not to disturb my sleep.

Within what, to me, felt like a second, I was awoken by the radiant sunlight through the window. Groggily, I sat up, having no recognition (as usual) of even falling asleep. At first, I felt guilty that I had wasted their time and failed the dream experiment, but to my surprise, Dr. Mace came bursting in. “Come quick” he demanded, guiding me to the room with the projector. “It worked, it actually worked. Take a look.”

The projected started. Before my eyes appeared the room I had slept in, and I could see myself, sat in the middle of the room.

“This.. This is my dream?” I asked.

“Yes. It’s what we call a ‘third-person perspective’. Very common”

I continued to watch, waiting for something to happen, looking around the screen desperately. That’s when I saw it.

I didn’t know, again, the point at which it appeared – whether it had been there from the beginning, or whether it only just materialised – but I could see it clearly now, beyond the window in the dark depths of my subconscious reality. It was the figure from the video, and similarly, I couldn’t escape it’s glare; it’s sinister stare was captivating. “That,” I pointed slowly, “that’s from the video. What is it?”

Dr. Mace let out a brief chuckle, unexpectedly maniacal. “That is the Weaver,” he said blatantly, as if I should have known this fact, “he is nothing more than a feature of the video. That’s all.” There was nothing more on the topic. I was skeptical, yet I decided to go with what he said. The dream lasted a good hour, but nothing significant occurred, and I soon lost interest.

Over the next few days, their experiment continued. I would watch the video, sleep, and re-watch my dream in a continuous cycle. According to Dr. Mace, the video remained the same, however I believed differently. I can’t say whether what I thought was true, or whether it was just my imagination, but the Weaver seemed to get closer to the screen each night. By the fourth night, he was so close I could clearly determine his facial features, – dark, pitted eyes -so dark it was hard to decipher what was pupil and what wasn’t- his smile was broad, upturned, primitive and animalistic. And he continued to look at me: look back beyond the screen, unmoving, unblinking. My dreams became progressively distressing, too. The previous silence was now replaced with constant whispers (although what was said remained a mystery), chants, and shouts, along with a dull static sound. I would walk around the room, punch and kick the walls, rock back and forth, and demand that the torment should stop. The Weaver had most certainly advanced to the point where he loomed at the glass of the window, tapping loudly on the pane with its bony claws with a berserk smile plastered on its face.

Advertisements

When night 4’s video came to a chilling end, Dr. Mace nodded slowly at the other scientists behind him, and I was taken back to my room, much earlier than usual. However this time, procedure was somewhat different.

I heard the door lock behind me. “Thank you for your co-operation, Mr. André. The experiment is almost complete”. Dr. Mace murmured, his footsteps disappearing down the hallway, leaving me in the silence and solitude of my own company. Strange – I hadn’t been wired up to the dream weaver, and had not been shown the perculiar video that day – why? I moved toward the ghastly machine, pulling on the wires, attempting to remember where they were connected previously. It was this exact point that I noticed something was missing; the machine had no power cable, nor was there a socket for it to plug into. I’d neither noticed nor cared beforehand, but now I got a strange chill that ran down the entirety of my spine – a cold sensation of fear, dread and realisation.

The machine had no power. The machine wasn’t real.

Only now did I notice something peculiar in the room; yet another thing that I had failed to see. In the top right corner of the room, above the door, was a small security camera. I steadily approached, placing each footstep cautiously, until I stood directly beneath it. I could see my reflection staring back at me, and from this reflection I saw not only my own, terrified self, but the room around me at the same angle I has seen in the videos. Perfectly tucked out of direct sight, it gave a broad view of the room, from a ‘3rd-person perspective’, that I had slept in for the last four days; the window where that.. that thing had visited me nightly. The chilling sting of reality hit me hard:

The tapes I had watched were not my dreams; they were video footage.

The room become cold, dark, empty. My body was overwhelmed by a level of terror I deemed impossible; my breathing shallowed, my skin elapsed into a cold sweat and my mind burned in the flames of fear as I couldn’t help but notice that something mad and maniacal lurked in the shadowy corners of my peripheral vision. It had returned for me.

I turned my head, and as I did, the imminent silence was shattered. Whispering tore from nowhere and yet it was everywhere, each whisper overlapping another in repetition. “The Weaver has seen you”, “he’s coming for you”, and “Once he’s seen you, there is no escape” remained to be the most predominant of statements which swarmed the room. The static buzz returned too; a form of numbness in my head that made me twitch uncomfortably. The Weaver was standing beside the window, with an animalistic gargle emanating from his hideous throat. Saliva oozed from it’s interlocking fangs and dispersed as it snapped its neck a few times at freakishly aberrant angles before locking it’s perverse pits of eyes upon me. It took a looming step towards me – a steady outstretch of its bony, bulky limb- whilst keeping it’s devilish head fixed upon me. Each stride brought it a no less than a meter closer to my position against the wall, and each time the distance between us decreased, the severity of the situation intensified.

Whispers quickly escalated into deafening bellows; screams, shouts and moans. The buzzing had become a constant, loud whir that echoed off of the walls and clung to my ears tightly.

Advertisements

The Weaver took it’s long, continuous strands until it stood just inches from my face. It’s hot, clammy breath fell upon my skin as if continued to snap it’s neck and fingers, each time with a more sickening crack. I was drawn to it’s eyes; I couldn’t look away. As it opened its gaping jaws, revealing rows of needle-like canines, I began to feel a burning sensation that spread across my entire body in seconds. I can only describe if as being thrown in a live, raging fire… And yet I did not flinch – I couldn’t do anything except gaze acceptingly into the eyes of death. The noise around me had fell away to a small whisper in my ears: “the Weaver’s seen you now”.

It lifted its arm, and took my neck in the cold embrace of its claws. They felt like ice, and brought somewhat of a comfort to the magma under my skin. I had little idea of what was happening; I was lost in it’s eyes, transfixed in it’s ghastly gaze. It continued to breath heavily, taking long, raspy breaths as if it was struggling for air. Its claws – long blades of skin and bone – tightened, slicing into the soft, warm flesh of my neck. I felt no pain: only strange discomfort. I could feel the hot, sticky blood ooze down onto my chest… Ooze down onto its constricting digits. The area that was visible to me began to shrink, as if a final darkness grew from all corners of my sight.The whispering was silenced. Everything was silenced. The only thing that remained was the Weaver.

I began to wheeze; the struggle for breath escalated alarmingly, and yet I still felt too compelled by its empty pits of eyes not to escape its grasp. There was little point in retaliation – the Weaver had me now.

In the final ten seconds or so – it may have been shorter, as each second felt like an eternity – the pain kicked in. Suddenly, and overpoweringly, the agony which screamed where my flesh was torn and sliced was finally heard. I was unable to broadcast my pain; the only sound that escaped my throat was a pathetic, woeful rasp. The Weaver gave a small, satisfied smile at my pain, and cocked its dark head at a slight angle with a small snap. In its hoarse, grating voice, it slowly uttered the final words I would ever hear – the final words any of its unfortunate victims would hear: “You saw me. And I saw you. And now you are mine.”

The Weaver tightened his claws until he had a firm grip around the mutilated neck before turning his hand. There was a sickening crack, which brought a seemingly psychotic grin to the Weavers’ face as he watched the bloodied body slump to the ground. It turned towards the camera, readjusting its neck.

The experiment was now over. The Weaver had claimed another victim for his video; somebody else to control.
And now he requires somebody new. But that’s ok.
He’s seen you now.

The Dream Weaver

Credit To – Nightfall

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

62 thoughts on “The Dream Weaver”

  1. Beelzenef Worshipper Club

    “The Weaver took it’s long, continuous strands”
    I believe this should be strides, but overall, well done! I’m not sleeping tonight, that’s for sure, tehee!

  2. I just wanted to say, this was great! I rarely get spooked on this site, and I got chills. Keep up the good work.

  3. :
    Very good story!Sent Chills up my spine! Things to work on are that the beginning was sorta boring and it had a very overused cliche ending! I love that its an original monster. The picture looked kinda cute ~_~ Really good for your first creepy pasta

    9/10

  4. Uh what the fuuuuck ? That was creepy ;_; If I have nightmares (I always do) involving that thing, oh god. This is definitely a good creepy pasta 10/10/10/10

  5. Waiting for zombies

    It was a bad idea reading it before bed xD But i loved it. This story is unlike any other. I would have liked it to be a bit more descriptive. But thats just me.
    Overall 8.5/10 (:

  6. wow
    this was really good
    but
    the video… the people in it… were they the people taken by the Weaver? If so, that means the doctor was taken too
    Also
    i liked the ending
    endings like that freak me out
    I get paranoid for days
    good pasta

  7. This Pasta is extremely overrated. It’s a 5 or 6 out of 10 at most.

    The author has a good flow of writing, but some of his descriptions make is sound really forced and cringey: “The receptionist who resided behind it” and “I perched on a nearby chair”.

    The ‘Weaver’ is so cliche it hurts. With its Slenderman sounding body and long claws that touch the ground. That whole black elongated physique is so overused and boring.

    Dialogue was pretty poor too.

    The twist was one thing that I really liked, and the only thing I found relatively creepy, however then the author started to rush to the finish. The turn over in narration just kind of happens, and there is no explanation given towards how the story is being continued. Then that completely forced ending, that made my physically ill: “The Weaver had claimed another victim for his video; somebody else to control. And now he requires somebody new. But that’s ok. He’s seen you now.” What’s ok? How has he seen me? It was like the author wasn’t really sure what to say, so he just took the whole ‘mind control’ punch from Psychosis and added more cringey dialogue.

    The concept is very good, but you dropped the ball at the end. Don’t take all this extremely over-blown praise to heart, because there is tons of room for improvement.

    To be honest, this should have been a Crappypasta. Let the random fans downvoting my comment begin. I don’t understand what you all like so much about this.

  8. Great story, I didn’t see the machine twist coming. I think that much of the Weaver’s description which takes place in the last paragraphs could be moved to other earlier places in the story; because the end seemed to stretch out a bit too much for my liking. Congratulations!

  9. This doesn’t deserve an 8.8, it really wasn’t good. It was too similar to Tulpa at the beginning. It was also another predictable, cliche, lame monster pasta. Not creepy at all, also made no sense. Like another poster said why is it called the dream weaver, if it has nothing to do with dreams? What was the point of the experiment? Just so people can die? What was the point of any of it? Also lame, cliche monster and descriptions as well. awful. 3/10

  10. Nice story! I love the descriptions of how it felt to be the dead person and the descriptions of the creature. It really helped me visualise the way it would have been if I were him.

    Like these descriptions, however, you could have added more emotionally descriptive adjectives in the beginning to draw the reader in so they don’t miss out on the awesome ending, if they didn’t want to bother reading it.

    ‘As I entered the facility, I could all but bite down the aggravating anxiety that arose from my gut as I approached the main desk. The receptionist who resided behind it glanced up with a half-hearted smile.’

    This sentence felt like plain paper to me when I read it and could have been changed to have more feeling in it, such as:

    ‘As I anxiously entered the advanced-looking facility, I felt my stomach turn when the smell of chemicals hit my nostrils. My hands started sweating as I cautiously approached the main desk. The black-haired and blue-eyed receptionist who resided behind it quickly glanced up, displaying a half-hearted smile.’

    This is for if you have this type of writing talent:

    Obviously don’t give the story away, but just have a few subtle signs in the beginning about the later plot, so that people can put the pieces together after reading the whole story and go ‘Ooh! I never noticed that! Now I get it!’.

    The sentence, ‘But that’s okay. He’s seen you now.’ Confuses me. I doubt that the person who died would be able to type in this way about his death even if he did come back somehow and I doubt a friend would write the ending this way either. What you need is the input of a character describing the story of how the man Andre died, which would give the need of changing the beginning entirely. You would first have the character introduce themselves and say ‘and this is the story of how Andre died’ (obviously you’d have better intro, but just an example). You have a person already in the story. The man who got Andre to do the tests. Dr Mace.

    The sentence, ‘But that’s okay. He’s seen you now.’ also feels a bit cliche to me. Sentences like these have been used too often in CreepyPasta’s in my opinion.

    Aside from the other potential this story could have had, I enjoyed reading this story and seeing it in my head.

    I rate this 7/10.

    Sincerely,
    Grim Gamer

  11. Great original idea! Was kind of left hanging as to what the point was, why were these scientists involved? What was it all for? I think the writing style was pretty impressive!

  12. Could be a bit more descriptive in certain areas to add to the creepiness but overall it was well done. 9/10. And imo the picture at the end should just be some gnarly looking eyes because the weaver I visualized was infinitely more horrifying

  13. Ryoko Otaku: That was amazing. It sent chills down my spine. “And now he requires somebody new. But that’s ok.He’s seen you now.” That was a wonderful ending especially with the pic. Good Job!!

  14. That was amazing. It sent chills down my spine. “And now he requires somebody new. But that’s ok.
    He’s seen you now.” That was a wonderful ending especially with the pic. Good Job!!

  15. Nightfall,

    Well done! You give me hope for the youth of the world! The fact that you are only 15 is quite impressive. I, like many others, found the ending jarring. I found myself thinking, “Okay, if his throat is sliced open, how did he survive?”, “Okay, so now he is really panicked and he is going to fight back and escape.” “Oh…he’s dead.” There is nothing wrong with killing your protagonist. Sometimes I think it actually serves for a better story, but when you introduce your story in the first person people are going to automatically assume that the character is alive and relating his tale. You could fix this by writing in third person omniscient or limited. Both of which would allow you to relate the protagonist’s feelings while still allowing him to die without the sudden perspective change. Another option is present tense. Then the story does not come off as a retelling, but rather a stream of consciousness, this would necessarily require the story to end with the protagonist’s last breath, but still allow you to keep first person.

    8/10. Would have been 9 if not for the perspective issue.

  16. Although the story line was intriguing, I couldn’t help but see the similarities between this and the novel firestarter by Stephen King and the movie sinister. And near the end it became a little dull to where I was skimming paragraphs instead of reading. Maybe make it less detailed and more drama? All in all it was a good read.

  17. I apologise for the random narration change – thanks for the criticism, I will consider this in the future. I’m glad you all enjoyed it so much, it was my first attempt at a creepypasta! :)

  18. This was so chilling!!! The idea of things appearing in my dream world is terrifying, but then bringing them into the waking world too!? Such a great story. A few grammatical areas but nonetheless a great pasta.

  19. ?????????mystery??????

    Wow that was really good! I scanned this pasta before I read it to make sure it wasn’t TOO long, and when I saw the picture, I became skeptical. I thought it would be like one o those pastas that tries to be like Jeff or Smile.dog and have a really scary character with a “scary picture,” but this was written really well. I loved everything about it, really a cool character too. 10/10 really impressive.

  20. The picture at the end, in a hypothetical world where this happened, would be the biggest “Fuck you” ever. Yeah, this thing just killed somebody and if you truly see it and it truly sees you, you die. So here’s a picture of it! I mean, I’d do it too, but something’s obviously wrong with me. Whoever posted this story? Just a dick.

  21. Wow
    I was creeped out at first but when you added the picture
    I may not sleep tonight I laugh at most story’s but this one is good
    Not good great

  22. am I the only one who pictured Light’s demon from Dethnote when the writer described the weaver? And I could also picture a person in a padded room just twitching and snapping his neck from side to side after finding the camera.

  23. I don’t know about anyone else, but I wheeled around at that last line! This is one of the best creepypastas I’ve read in a long time, the drawing at the end was cool too. My only critique is that the change in perspectives at the end was a bit jarring, in my opinion at least.
    All in all, it’s very good, and I’ll definitely be on the lookout for more of your stories. I’d give this one an 8.5/10, if it would let me vote that is.

  24. To nightfall, one huge immersion breaker, is the fact that the story was from the 1st person point of view, dead men tell no tales as they say, so how did he recount this story. And the you’re next ending is still overdone. But, this was very well written and I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it. 8/10

  25. Thank you so much for all the nice comments and criticisms!
    I see a few people disliking my ending, and was wondering how the ending could have been better or improved? Thanks!

  26. Anyone else think this is going to be a creepypasta that turns into a sensation…because I don’t.
    JK amazing writing, few flaws, original monster… this has everything it needs to become the newest member of the creepypasta family!!!!

  27. So whys it called “The Dream Weaver” if it exists in the waking world? Was it to further the illusion? And why not just feed the fucker why did the protagonist have to be fucked with for 4 days? Was it so it could feed off his fears? I’m having a tough time suspending my disbelief.

  28. I liked it, but the Weaver reminds me a bit of The Rake, and I kind of don’t get why the Weaver came to him only in that room. Like, if the Weaver has supposedly “seen” you, and you in no way are going to go in the room that Mr. Andre went into, then how did he get Mr. Andre?

  29. Nice twist and very creepy. I’m giving it a 9/10 only because of some grammatical errors, but otherwise perfect.

  30. This is one of those” …and I died, the end.” Stories. How can dead men tell tales? Nice drawing of the monster, though. I imagined it to look like a werewolf until I saw the picture. Beast-like monsters are really scary to me.

  31. Pretty good. Nice little twist. Except you changed perspectives at the end. Probably shouldn’t of told the story from an “I” perspective if he died. Would like more story on the reason for the videos because we find out it’s not for dreaming.

  32. Really good, the picture was kind of dumb though. It wasn’t creepy but definitely helped visualize! 9/10

  33. Viceroy Fizzlebottom

    Also, the name of the monster made that cheesy 70’s song run through my head. But maybe that’s just me…

  34. Viceroy Fizzlebottom

    Ahhh. I felt like the description of the Weaver was much creepier than that illustration. I did enjoy the originality of the story, though!

  35. I didn’t see the machine being a fake comming…good one! So I guess these mad scientists are really cultists sacrificing to that thing? How come he didn’t remember being awake with the monster in the room? I think it needs editing for mistakes and a little more detail to up the creep factor, but I still liked it.

  36. It’s a shame. This pasta had such good potential then came to such a cliche ending. I liked it nonetheless, but it could’ve done better. 7/10 for me.

  37. I LOVE this story! A perfect 10/10! You really dug deep into it and I couldn’t help but shiver in fear. Horrifically Fantastic!!!

  38. Loved this pasta… hope it goes up there in the most famous pastas. (i.e. Slenderman, Jeff, etc.)
    Keep up the good work. Hope to see more like this.

  39. I liked how you showed a bit more passion for your story with your own art- if it is yours- anyway, your story was very creative with those bad ass descriptions about the Weaver.
    Though, it started to bore me at the beginning, but soon as the Weaver was brought into the picture, I was hooked.
    Well done, I want to see more from this author.

  40. Yay! Original monster pastas are some of my favourites!
    9/10
    Would have been 10 if it was a little bit more descriptive
    But thats just me.
    Keep up the good work!

  41. This creepy pasta is awesome! ♡♡ I loved it! Perfectly 10/10. Send me chills up my spine. Horific! Well written and great work!:D

  42. This was a really good one, very few creepypastas like this one give me chills down my spine, keep up the good work

    1. Hi,many thanks for your comments.I’m only 15 and this is my first story so really chuffed you enjoyed it:)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top