Advertisement
Please wait...

Creak



Estimated reading time — 4 minutes

The inventor was frustrated. He had spent years, decades, researching the nature of time, and his work had finally come to fruition: he had invented a — theoretically — functioning time machine. With this he knew he could silence all the naysayers who had repudiated the underlying goal of his research. They had told him, time without number, that time travel was impossible. Otherwise, one could create a paradox by, say, going back in time and killing one’s grandfather before he had any children. In which case, the time traveler would never even exist, and so wouldn’t travel back in time to kill his grandfather, thus ensuring the grandfather’s procreation, and the time traveler’s eventual existence, enabling the latter to go back in time and kill…

Fah. He had long ago dismissed such nonsense, but as he achieved greater and greater success in his research (always in the comfort of his lab at home rather than at work) the problem grew in his mind. It did not occupy his conscious mind, but his unconscious thoughts were frequently considering it, weighing particular solutions, allowing the better ones to step up to the next floor in his mental architecture. This was actually how he did most of his thinking, with the result being that by the time an idea actually manifested itself in his conscious mind, he was essentially already decided on a course of action.

Obviously, he had concluded, a man could not travel back in time and prevent the circumstances by which he traveled back in time in the first place. Just as obviously (thus the paradox) there would be nothing to stop a man from doing precisely that once he had already traveled back in time. Therefore, both conditions must be true. A man could travel back in time and kill his grandfather. But then he would continue to exist: and upon his return to the present, he would discover that his grandfather had not been killed. Time travel, in other words, would only allow for observation, not interaction. No one would have to worry about accidentally stepping on a bug and somehow causing a volcanic eruption or whatever. This led to important side issues: were one’s actions actually happening somewhere (or somewhen)? What would happen if one then got stuck in the past where the apparent event had taken place? Etc. But his subconscious was already working on potential solutions to these questions.

Advertisements

As to the main question, he had already decided what to do. Before he would bring his time machine to the attention of his colleagues (and the world for that matter) he would first have to divest them of this notion of paradoxes. To this end, he would travel back in time, perform an action that could not have happened, and then return to the present. He would do this with other people so they could verify that he had, in fact, done the impossible act in the past without endangering the present in any way.

First, though, he would have to do it alone in order to have empirical verification (of a sort) in hand before approaching his colleagues. He did not want to kill his grandfather, and was certain his explanation would not be believable if he got stuck 80 years in the past. So instead, he would travel five years into the past and kill himself — his self from five years ago, that is. If, per impossibile, he got stuck there, he was pretty sure his presence would prevent any murder accusation from getting off the ground, the alleged victim being alive and well.

He took his time machine (which was about the size of a shoebox) and a pistol into the hallway outside his lab, turned the number dial on the time machine to “5”, the units dial all the way up to “year”, the directional switch to “past”, and activated it. Not much changed, but he hadn’t expected it to; he had always relished continuity (which made it a little unusual that he, of all people, would invent a time machine), and so his furnishings had remained almost entirely unchanged over the thirty-plus years that he’d been living in this house. He expected to find himself at work in his lab, and so walked over to it. The door was open a crack, and he was able to look in and see that, yes, he was indeed sitting at his desk, looking at something. He raised the pistol, pushed the door open, and before his old self could react to the sound of the creaky hinges, he shot himself in the head. His old self.

Advertisements

He paused for a moment to see if he noticed any differences: did he have any new memories? Did he still exist? Would one notice if one stopped existing? At this last thought, he chuckled, stepped into the room, and then pushed the return button on the time machine. Apart from the disappearance of his body — his old body — and the door closing most of the way behind him, nothing changed. After pausing again to see if he noticed any differences (he didn’t), he went over to his desk to record the results of his experiment. He looked at the time machine and called up the exact coordinates it had recorded, and began writing them down.

But something was wrong. The coordinates were not what they should have been, not even close. As he finished writing them down, he looked back at the time machine to see what the problem was. The first thing he noticed was that, although he had pushed the directional switch down for “past”, the switch was sticky and it hadn’t clicked over. The second thing he noticed was that, while he had turned the category dial all the way up to “year”, he accidentally pushed it too far: and since the dial had no stopper, it reset to the smallest unit.

He hadn’t traveled five years into the past. He had traveled five MINUTES into the FUTURE.

Advertisements
Advertisements

And behind him, the door hinges creaked.

Credit To – Jim S.

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

33 thoughts on “Creak”

  1. I loved this story- well written and the ending did catch me by surprise. Impeccable grammar, etc. I was wondering if I could read this for my YouTube channel- it would be my first video? The channel’s name is bridflyingdownwards, and all credit would be given in the description of the video, including your username and a link to the original story.

  2. The return function of the machine returns the protagonist to the exact moment they had left, if I’m understanding correctly.
    In the space of those five minutes between return and arrival, the protagonist left the room to go record the results, hence putting himself at his desk.
    I enjoyed this one, though murder (or would it be suicide?) seems like an extreme measure to test a theory, as others have also stated.

  3. Abhishek Pasupuleti

    So he killed himself in the future and when he found out he should have stopped his older self from killing by turning back and stopping him the next time he came because that always happens right?

  4. Loved it. It was very well written, and you set up your story in a nice solid frame. I had become too comfortable with your style and then BAM twist ending.

  5. just finished reading the comments on this story, and not only does my head hurt, but I also feel stupid. other than that, I really enjoyed the story! :D

  6. I liked the idea, but I agree with Ace.
    Murder would be an extreme test and to have murdering your past self be the first thing to come to mind is a bit far-fetched.

    BUT the ending did give me that “AHA!” moment. i cracked a smile.

  7. go down in history

    The front confused me bc of the bombastic words but it was a really nice story overall. Maybe make it shorter?

  8. OK so his Old Self is going to kill him. His Old self becomes the new Present Self. All is right with the world!

    The only creepy thing would be thinking you were the killer when you were actually the victim, and it’s all your fault. In which case, it’s not creepy. It’s just really sad and stupid. :(

    But good writing style!

  9. I don’t think any person going on their first major expedition of this sort wouldn’t thoroughly check such obvious mistakes. The end is just too hard to believe to me.

  10. I love the idea of this,but I think the time flow here is messed up. There are 2 options and neither work out chronologically.

    1. If the guy went to the past on his first trip, then he was already in the past in which he had killed his old self. So, accidently setting the dial to 5 minutes into the future would have just landed him five minutes later still looking at the dead body of his old self. However, if he accidentally set the dial to 5 minutes in the PAST not future (to make up for the time that passed while he was killing himself) then he would end up right in the correct spot before he arrived the first time to end up being shot by himself. this is the best ending for this story because the only editing you have to do is to change the words “past” and “future” a couple times.

    2. On the other hand, if the author was meaning the scientist ORIGINALLY sent himself into the future, the last sentence would make more sense but the paragraph before it needs changing. This is because since the scientist just time traveled a second time, the settings on the time machine would have been different since he just traveled a second time. They would have been reset to the future anyway, because that is where he went the first time. This not toggling of the past/future switch. Plus, in doing this reset, he most likely would have noticed his mistake when he reset the time to the return trip. And if not, the setting it again would have sent him FARTHER into the future and not back in time to his original position in order to be shot 5 mins later, thus he would be safe.

    Overall, good pasta. The inaccuracies just needed fixing. Of course if there is a 3rd option, I would certainly like the author to tell me!

    1. The story mentions a “return button”. It says he pressed the return button, which I assume just took him back to his previous coordinates. So he only set the switches for the original travel once, which sent him to the future, and then he returned to his original time via the button.

    2. Patricia, you are bad at reading. Auferous, you are correct. Time traveler, sooo many paradoxes can be tested without killing someone. Write a note in the present. Go to the past 5 minutes and break the pen.
      This is like a less convoluted tale of “The Prestige.”

      1. Rude! Way to beat a dead horse. Patricia didn’t notice one word and you call her a “bad reader”. If not for that misunderstanding her theories were pretty sound. Of course that is if you read and comprehended them!

  11. Good story, though for being a smart guy, he was kinda an idiot. I can think of around 1,000 different things he could have done to prove his point by NOT killing himself. :D Good story though. Two thumbs up and keep writing!

        1. The author didn’t use any particularly complex vocabulary. Just because a word has more than five letters doesn’t make it a “gigantic word that was probably looked up in a thesaurus”. Your opinion is simply a result of the vocabulary YOU’RE comfortable with being simpler than the author’s, that doesn’t mean the rest of us have to look it up in a thesaurus to understand or utilize it.

        2. She was stating her opinion. I am assuming you use words like “paradox” daily. Stop thinking your better than someone based on the vocabulary they use.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top