Advertisement
Please wait...

Arm and a Leg



Estimated reading time — 3 minutes

Based on a true story, 1983.

Liam was your average 28 year old. He worked, ate, slept and gamed, as well as spending time with his family. He lived in Limerick city with his wife Mary and his children Megan and Armen.

One rainy day he was playing a bit of Contra with the teenage Armen when he yelled out in pain. Clutching his wrist, it felt agonizingly painful and lumpy. Mary came in and examined it.

Advertisements

“It looks like you’ve snapped something dear,” she tutted worriedly. “You’ll need surgery.”

“Oh no,” started Liam. “I don’t do surgeons. Remember the whole knee reconstruction fiasco?”

“You were able to walk again eventually honey. Besides, I was thinking of a different guy. Amy told me of someone who helped her through her whole back problems.”

“Amy, huh? Is she the one.. no, yeah – is she the one who lost the child recently?”

“Poor dear, yes that’s her.”

“Alright, we’lll see her doc. What’s his name?”

Advertisements

“Dr. Laspen Varas. He’s Finnish or something.”

“Could you make an an appointment?”

******************************

Dr. Varas was a tall, kind looking man who made very bad jokes. His English was poor, and Liam had trouble deciphering him sometimes. Liam was being wheeled into the operating theatre, his family walking alongside him. Dr. Varas was going over some final details. He was also to be the anesthesiologist for the procedure.

“It just wrist surgery”, he explained to an apprehensive Liam. “Not like heart surgery.” He threw his head back and laughed. Liam smiled nervously. He turned to his kids.

“See you in a bit, Armen. You too Megan. Daddy loves you.” Armen said that he and his sister would be waiting outside, and he’d Look after her while Mum went to work. Megan at six years old was too busy with her thumb in her mouth to respond. There were tears in her eyes and she clung on to her mother’s leg. Mary kissed Liam gently, then said she’d check in on them all when she got off work at five.

They halted and waved as Liam was pushed into the operating room. He tried to wave back, but the pain in his wrist was worse than ever. He gasped as he was rolled through the door; the slight judder being enough to send waves of pain shooting up his arm. Dr. Varas hooked him up to the I.V, and began the slow process of knocking him out.

Advertisements

Dr. Varas kept up a stream of jokes and comments, likely trying to relax Liam who’s heart rate was extremely high. As the drugs began to kick in, shapes in the room became distorted, and Varas’ voice dropped in pitch. The room began to spin and Liam could no longer understand most of what the surgeon said. He picked up the odd sentence, but they made no sense through the haze of tiredness and the strong accent.

”I’m going to take some, and spill your water.”

Time slowed down and colors danced across his eyes. The last thing the surgeon said was yet another stupid joke.

“This surgery will cost you arm and an leg.”

Liam snorted softly. His final thought before drifting into unconsciousness was ‘If losing an arm would stop this pain in my wrist, then I could deal with it.’  Then his eyes rolled into the back of his head and his heart rate slowed.

***********************

He woke sluggishly. Some time had passed, that he could tell. His head hurt, yet more worryingly his wrist still did too. Badly. Why was he awake if he wasn’t fixed. Then his ears started working properly.

He could hear sobbing.

Advertisements

Female sobbing.

He slowly opened his eyes. The theater was dark, and empty except for the figure lying next to him, her face pressed into the bed.

It was Mary. He felt a surge of panic. His body felt numb.

“Mary!” he croaked. “What’s he done to me??” She raised her head. Her mascara was running down her face and her shoulders shook horribly.

“Nothing dear,” he whispered steadily. Then her voice rose as she cried out :

“He’s taken Armen and Meg!”

Credit To: Micha3l

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

45 thoughts on “Arm and a Leg”

  1. Does drowsiness make your hearing bad to the point where you can hear “Armen and Meg” as ” An arm and a leg”?

  2. Lol, fucking hell. I’d die if that happened to me. I didn’t see it coming, but it still has me laughing!

  3. One small detail killed this for me. The story takes place in 1983, contra didn’t come out until 1987….time travel.

  4. Finland'sTheBest

    You wrote the Dr.Laspen Varas wrong,It should be Dr.Lapsen Varas,that means Dr.Kid Stealer in finnish,cause im finnish i know that shit.

  5. “I’m going to steal your son, and kill your daughter”

    “This surgery will cost you armen and meg”

    ^if you didn’t get it

    1. Hey, I know a boy named Armen, and another named Drake. Your opinion is fine by me, just don’t judge someone by their name before you know the person themself.

      -Herobrine

      Always watching…

  6. Return of the Mac

    Laspen= almost lapsen meaning child in finnish and Varas meaning thief, coincidence? Most likely.

  7. Am I the only one who thought it was weird that a 28 year old man, had a teenage child? That would mean he had his child when he was 15, anyone?

  8. If the dad’s 28 and Armenia is a teenager….You mean to tell me this guy had his first kid at age 15 at the latest?

  9. “I’m going to take them, and kill your daughters.”

    “This surgery will cost you Armen and Meg.”

    ^For those who don’t understand.

  10. oh!

    ”I’m going to take some, and spill your water.”
    is
    ” Im going to take son, and steal your dater.”
    and
    “This surgery will cost you arm and an leg.”
    is
    “This surgery will cost you Armen and Meg.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top