Advertisement
Please wait...

Arata



Estimated reading time — 5 minutes

Do you ever look back on your early childhood, and wonder which memories are real, and which are fabrications of your overactive imagination? Have you ever had a memory that you think might have been a dream? Our minds are capable of doing terrible things to us, but so are people. I’m not sure which one traumatized me for most of my childhood.

I remember despising kindergarten. I went to Duggan Elementary School in Farner, Tennessee. Naturally, I
hated it. But how I felt about that place by the end of the year went beyond simple loathing. Obscure memories of those days still resurface in my mind from time to time. I remember hearing, and seeing things that I was too young to understand. I just have these vague images and sounds in my head that I can barely recall. I don’t have nightmares
anymore. I guess what scares me most is the memory of how I felt at the time.

Recently, I found an old photo album of my kindergarten year. It took me back in time. I recognized a picture of my teacher. He was an extremely old man who we called Mr. Arata. There was something about him that seemed… well he didn’t seem very child-friendly. He drove a long white van to school every day. It was called it “the stupid van” because the kids all hated him. Mr. Arata was irritable and cross, but he sure knew how to act when he was being watched by other teachers or the principal.

Advertisements

One day, at my house, I remember my mother telling me that one of my classmates had gone missing. She was
watching the news and was, understandably, very upset. When a second child in my class went missing, my mother abruptly pulled me out of school. She told me that she would send me back when it was safe. I thought it was great, not being in school. I was too young to understand what a child’s disappearance could actually mean… too naive
to think about it realistically. I remember that, after a while, I went back. The kids had been found, but they did not go back to school for whatever reason. I heard one of my fellow students tell me that the kids who had disappeared had no recollection of what had happened. She said that they had been “cut open under the belly button and stitched up.” She knew those two kids well. I think her name was Katy or Kitty or something. I just assumed that she was lying through
her teeth. Even as a six-year-old, I wasn’t credulous enough to believe something like that.

Later on in the year, I remember the girl (let’s just call her Katy) talking about how one of the kids who had previously gone missing had passed away. She took a week off from school because of it. Apparently, she had kept in touch with the two kids after they switched schools. Katy said that the child had been sick ever since they found him with no memory. At this point, I thought she was making up more lies to get attention, but she did genuinely seem miserable now that I think of it. Little kids aren’t that great at acting.

I remember that one day, I had a terrible nightmare. The day started out normally. I remember going to lunch, and… I think I remember getting up to leave after the bell had rung to return to class. I’m not sure what happened next because
that’s the last thing I remember before having the nightmare.

Suddenly, I was on a table, strapped down. I could see tinted windows on the narrow walls by my side… everything was pretty dark. I was in a very cramped rectangular room. I just sat there for a moment. Clearly, I remember looking about and feeling the straps on my wrists and ankles. I looked to the side of me, and there was a tray with surgical instruments on it. I did not know how I got there in the first place. I was confused and on the verge of tears. A man dressed like a doctor came to see me. I couldn’t make out his face because it was so dark there. He just looked at me for a moment, then he turned on a bright light that was mounted over top of me – like the kind they use when you go to the dentist. He was wearing a doctor mask and had a blank expression on his face. I was stunned with fear. He casually reached for a scalpel, and grabbed one from the tray. I began screaming and crying. He looked slightly taken back. The man uttered a few words, but I couldn’t make out what he was saying.

Advertisements

I awoke to the harsh scolding of Mr. Arata. I was lying down asleep on the bleachers in the gym where we would wait for our bus numbers to be called. He was telling me that I had fallen asleep and missed the bus. He took me back to his class,
and called my mother to come pick me up. I started crying as soon as I had time to think about the dream. He didn’t try to comfort me; he didn’t even ask me what my problem was. He just stared at me. I told him that I had experienced a terrible nightmare, and he… he nodded at me… at least, I think he did. My mother spent the whole day trying to reassure me. The most disturbing part is, I usually wake from a nightmare as soon as I began feeling terror. But this… I was screaming and thrashing about for an extended amount of time. It all seemed real.

I was convinced over the years that I had hallucinated. I began getting homeschooled because I was extremely terrified of going back. My parents couldn’t understand how a nightmare could cause someone to have the kind of issues that I had. I had a few dreams about the experience. It wasn’t like I was having a reoccurring nightmare… it was as if these nightmares were much less real than my original nightmare. They were just the original experience in dream form.

Advertisements
Advertisements

They say that the sense of smell is the best way to remember something. Years later, when I was a grown man, I
visited my grandfather in the hospital. There was something about the smell that brought me back. It made me think about that dark room. I went over to my parents’ house and flipped through some of the old photo albums, looking for anything to help ease my curiosity. While I was looking through the photo album, I found a picture of the class and Mr.
Arata . It had some writing on the back, but it wasn’t in English. Arata is a Japanese name, so I guessed that that was what language it was. I knew that one of my Dad’s friends spoke Japanese, so I took the photo to him, and he translated it for me. I looked underneath the original text to see the scribblings that the man had left. The translation said, “I had a great time working on you this school year.”

I went back to the photo album and started rabidly searching through it. I didn’t want my dream to be a reality, but I had to know for sure. There were photos of me performing all kinds of activities. I even found photos of the time
that my mother brought the class cupcakes for my birthday. Almost every picture had Mr. Arata in it, with a stern look on his face. I held one picture in my hand(a picture that my mom took of me during a school play)and it seemed thicker than the others. I noticed tape on the edge of the picture. Two pictures had actually been taped together. I took a knife and cut the two pictures apart. What I saw haunted me. Underneath the regular picture was a picture of a small boy strapped to a table in the dark. I compared the picture with the other ones and… it was me. I looked on the back of the picture of the play (the back was originally facing the picture of me on the table) and it had more Japanese writing on it. I had to sit down. The dread and paranoia was coming back to me. I took the writing to the same man who had translated the first note. He seemed quite confused by what he read.

“I came to this country to continue what I started in Manchuria.”

Please wait...

Copyright Statement: Unless explicitly stated, all stories published on Creepypasta.com are the property of (and under copyright to) their respective authors, and may not be narrated or performed under any circumstance.

35 thoughts on “Arata”

  1. I read this as though he had NOT been operated on…. he woke up and messed everything up? And that is why he was asleep on the bleachers and did not go missing like the other 2 children? Fantastic story!

  2. Woah that’s messed up…Ty for the story.I had not heard of that one before Mancheria, I mean.I unfortunately do know something of what the Nazis got up to.When people ask what my origins are, since I have a lot of Norse in me (I am almost all German and Norse) I just tell them I’m Norwegian.TYVM Nazis .Sorry for any mistakes; this stupid thing won’t let me correct any, and it adds words I didn’t type to my sentences. X(

  3. I knew from the moment he said “The space was narrow and I felt cramped” that the ‘dark room’ was the back of Mr. Arata’s white van. Damn good story though :D

  4. Good story… shame on the aforementioned inaccuracies. If someone had undergone serious invasive surgery, large scars and several weeks’ worth of recuperation are a given even with the kind of resources we have today.

  5. He didn’t get sick and die in the end because not all the victims did. Only one student died, and two had been captured. Just as in Unit 731, not all the experiments were deadly.

  6. the reference at the end really got me. it has to do with the Manchu 731 squadron who performed inhumane biological experiments around WWII. some sick shit

  7. How come he remembered being strapped to a table and no one else did? And why didn’t he get sick like the other student? Why was he scared to go back if he thought it was a dream?

  8. Interesting idea, but the inconsistencies in the story really pulled me out of it. For instance, why didn’t he have a scar? If he was operated on, why did he survive? Why would the teacher write that and incriminate himself? Why didn’t they notice the pictures were taped together? Tighten it up and this could be a great pasta.

  9. This was a pretty good story, though I think it’s convenient that Mr.Arata explained it so nicely in the photo album. I am also confused as to how he got the picture in there. Either way, nice story. The beginning makes the character easier to relate to, for me anyways, because I’ve definitely had dreams that I thought were memories but later found out that it had never happened.

  10. Unit 731?! Nope. That’s a whole lot of NOPE. Dear God, nope. I was researching that subject a while ago. It’s fascinating on a horrible and terrifying level. Seriously messed with my head, this one. Great concept, though I had to re-read a few parts to understand what it was saying. Great!

  11. Great read had to look up the surgery and unit 731 but it was well worth it!
    Havent read a pasta this good in a while

  12. I figured it’d be the teacher when I read “White van” but still a great read. I really enjoyed this and now i’m going to look up that last part.

  13. Thoughts when first starting: Oh jeez, another haunted childhood memory. *echem* Candle cove.
    Thoughts when hearing about the van: So, he’s a pedo or something?
    Thoughts when reading about the surgery and then the cruel realization of his Japanese origin: OhshitOhmanohshit

    Over all: 9/10 (Unit 731 scares the shit out of me. Kudos for the reference.)

  14. originally i thought he was going to be a rapist so i was like
    “oh.. this reminds me of nightmare on emls street..”
    then.. the ending… that’s just creepy..
    i looked it up because i didn’t get the last reference..
    so they take out the childrens reproductive organs? D:
    great read..

  15. In manchuria, there were experiments on humans to test the effect of disease on the body, where organs and limbs were removed without anesthesia

  16. Wow I thought that was great. To Kyle: I didn’t quite get the last reference to unit 731 but I looked up “Manchuria surgery” and found it. So if they care, I think readers will look it up for sure.

  17. I really liked it but I don’t think the people who do not understand the reference at the end will like it as much as the people who do.

  18. I really liked this, the only really confusing bit being the part about how the 2 pictures taped together, why would that be in his parents photo album? How’d the teacher get it in there?

    Also the reference to Manchuria, is this a specific reference to something I’m unaware of or just part of the story? I liked it either way, but if it’s something I’d like to know what.

    1. Manchuria was an area Asia controlled by the Japanese before ww2, it was also home to unit 731. Unit 731 was a secret medical facility involved in human experimentation, the experiments carried out there were of a similar nature to those performed in Nazi Germany. Read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top